• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99/Max2000 Poll and Discussion

Solarcon A99/MAX 200 Antennas, what have/do you run?

• A-99

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • Max 2000

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • A-99 with a antenna tuner

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Max 2000 with a antenna tuner

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • I have never used a Max2000 or a A_99

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
I used to run a A99 on Ten meters it worked OK, although I no longer use it, I am seeing more and more guys running these antennas, and The Max2000 .
Some with a tuner for even more bands.
I Want to run a poll asking how many are using each,and if you can tell us what bands you are running with them, what success you are having.
Also any/all testing you have done, if any, or any reviews you have seen on these antennas.

Jeff

i put up a imax2000 after my 99 was hit by lightning few years back .i just run cb channels nothing more .
the imax tuned flat for me thru a very wide range of channels .it has been a very good antenna and definitely an improvement over the 99.
still had tvi issues with the neighbor though. maybe if i could have got it up higher it wouldnt have been that bad .
i have took it down recently ,no more base here .but it served me well.

between just the a-99 and imax i liked the imax better .seem to tx/rx
a lil better.i had the gpk on both antennas cant remember what the bandwiths
were for sure but wanna say the imax was better. both had about the same amount
of tvi.and both have more white noise than my sirio 2016 i use now

i put up a imax2000 after my 99 was hit by lightning few years back .i just run cb channels nothing more .
the imax tuned flat for me thru a very wide range of channels .it has been a very good antenna and definitely an improvement over the 99.
still had tvi issues with the neighbor though. maybe if i could have got it up higher it wouldnt have been that bad .
i have took it down recently ,no more base here .but it served me well.
my imax and a99 was the same. try a maco 5/8 or sirio m400 .
and use good coax like lmr -400. and ground antenna at the base
were it mounts to the pole

somebody gave me one they found in back of a shed a few weeks ago . i haven't tried it yet . i'm not at all impressed by it physically , but performance is what matters . i'll try it at some point when im bored and want something different to play with .

here's some reviews on the imax 2000 .

The Imax 2000 EXPOSED!
Imax 2000 Base CB Antenna Review
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1376

and the antron 99 .

http://www.g0vqy.co.uk/pdf/a99.pdf
The A99 - a best seller
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1233

I ran the A99 for years and had good results on 10/11/15/14/16 :whistle: meters and was please with it.Sure there are better antennas but the A99 did what I needed to do.

In hindsight I probably should have used George's mounting method:

dsc00374_small_434.jpg

I have both the Imax 2000 and the Antron 99 I have used the Antron 99 antennas since the late 19980's early 1990's I have had great luck with them. I never put my Imax 2000 up or tried it yet and wont until I get the ground kit as I run the kits on my antrons aswell.

I have tuned my Antron 99 antenna on 6,10,11,12,15,17 and 20 meters!!! There are better antennas for specific bands but what the antennas do is amazing you will not find this kind of coverage in other antennas. A so called (splatter stick) cheap built antenna or not I give these antennas 2 thumbs up and recommend them to anyone.

As far as splattering RF any antenna will do this if you set your radio up like a knucklehead blast audio gains and run the fire in the wire to boost that splattering signal. As far as being built cheap well WE ARE TALKING ON A RADIO NOT JOUSTING OR SWORD FIGHTING!! So really?? Is it made that cheap?

Last but not least THE BAND COVERAGE FOR UNDER $100.00!!! Where else are you going to find that kind of deal?? Rather your a amateur radio operator or not you can look in AES or simular distributor books or look at prices of antennas that cover less amateur bands and see what they sell for and you decide what the best deal is.

Being fiberglass unlike the other aluminum amateur antenna manufactures its been tested and proven the fiberglass runs well through rain snow and sleet without dramatic SWR changes.

WIDE BANDED TROUBLE FREE LOW COST ANTENNA THATS EASY TO PUT TOGETHER AND SETUP What more does a person want and when your a beginner just looking to get a taste of the hobby its a no brainer.

Last edited:
Had a maco 5/8 for 8 years and loved it. I gave it to a friend who needed a antenna and got an A99 for mounting above a 10 meter beam I was building. The A99 was a used one from a friend and after sanding and painting it was put up where the maco was 36ft to feedpoint. I was surprised it worked almost as well as the maco!

Well a friend had his Imax 2000 destroyed by lightning so When he asked if I want one to and I thoght I would try it. I ordered one and put it up in place of the A99. I see better rec and transmit so now as soon as the rotor is back will be just above the beam.

I can tell you that the A99 did well on 6-10-12-15-17 and 20 with my LDG AT7000 tuner. I can do the same with the Imax 2000 but my swr is a bit high on 6.

I made tons of contacts all over the world with both antennas. I am very pleased with the price and performance.

AP

Last edited:
many yrs ago i used to thing the A-99 was a good antenna..
( i had upgraded from the big stick )
Then i upgraded to the Imax 2000 ( it was better a bit verses A-99 )..

Then i finally Woke up and realized the antenna was a supreme part of the equation in getting out as well as receiving ..
So i Turned the Interceptor I-10K which is so far beyond better then both the A-99 & Imax 2000to the point of being in a totally different category ..

So although the A99 & Imake 2000 are so so/ ok antennas..
There are many 5/8 wave verticals that will trounce/destroy the a99 & Imax 2000..

One may not need go to spending what the Interceptor I-10 K costs
However an aluminum 5/8 wave vertical destroys a simple wire within a fiberglass housing..

A99 & Imax 2000 easily splash signals ( especially when one runs more then 20 watts into them )...
Plus the A99 & Imax 2000 do not stand up well to heavy weather
(where my Interceptor I-10K seems to laugh at even the most extreme weather )

I am not persay knocking the A99 & Imax 2000...
However there is Nothing special about them..
They are simply cheep and semi adequate antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.