• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 VS. I MAX CHOICE AT IMPROPER HIGHT

Adding 5ft will give really no noticeable gain. Now adding 15ft would give you noticeable gain. You need to have to feed point at 36ft if want the best performance with going 70ft to 90ft feed point.

Adding 5ft will give really no noticeable gain. Now adding 15ft would give you noticeable gain. You need to have to feed point at 36ft if want the best performance with going 70ft to 90ft feed point.
Thats true however the difference in the average backyard between 15 and 20ft if it gets you over the roofline , tree line etc ,can be quite noticeable .

Reactions: Marconi and 222DBFL
Nobody has yet asked the most important question so I will.

Is your goal to improve local or DX contacts? If your aim is to improve local contacts then get the antenna up higher. If your aim is to improve DX contacts bin the A99, forget the Imax 2000 and get a beam up. If you don't want to go to a beam and stay with those two antennas, then either will work as well as the other and just leave it at the height it currently is. It'll make no difference.

Having owned both antennas, the real world difference is next to nought. The difference in gains at various take off angles between the two is negligible and to get any worthwhile improvement for DX you need to go to horizontal antennas. Even the humble dipole has noticeable gain over an Imax 2000.

Reactions: wavrider
My abjectulive is to increase my recive.
I was hopeing that by either adding another 5' to the a99 or just leaving the three 5' mast and swapping the a99 out for the imax would improve the incoming stations.
I was also wondering wheather either of the two antennas offer a quieter recive? Thanks
Nobody has yet asked the most important question so I will.

Is your goal to improve local or DX contacts? If your aim is to improve local contacts then get the antenna up higher. If your aim is to improve DX contacts bin the A99, forget the Imax 2000 and get a beam up. If you don't want to go to a beam and stay with those two antennas, then either will work as well as the other and just leave it at the height it currently is. It'll make no difference.

Having owned both antennas, the real world difference is next to nought. The difference in gains at various take off angles between the two is negligible and to get any worthwhile improvement for DX you need to go to horizontal antennas. Even the humble dipole has noticeable gain over an Imax 2000.

The IMAX might be a bit quieter on rx but not by much. They are fiberglass and vertical antennas so they will pick up noise. And by increasing your rx, is this for dx'ing or local talk. If you are going for local stuff, put the iMax up at the same height the A99 was and see how it works. Raise it 5ft at a time and see what happens if you can. You might also want to look I to the sirio D-27 dipole antenna up. You can mount it to a chimney or mast I'm sure, and it can be used as a vertical or as a horz. Dipole. I don't know how well they perform but if they are anything like my home made dipoles, they will work well for dx and should work fine on local as well as the A99 or better. Just some food for thought. Have a good one and take your time. If you have the IMAX and can put it up easily, try it out and see what you get. You might be suprised, who knows. But you won't know til you try. JMHO.

So if I hail you today, you won't hear me until tomorrow...but if you hail me, I'll hear you yesterday.

I need to swing by Area 51 and borrow a UFO. Maybe I can stick a 102" whip on the back for good measure.

So if I hail you today, you won't hear me until tomorrow...but if you hail me, I'll hear you yesterday.
We really need to put this theory to the test. We just need our friends down under to go online and find something they can transmit so we could get it yesterday and confirm it today, for no particular reason I recommend we use lottery numbers.(y)

Still waiting for this guy to explain his statement about how a single vertical can have any db gain over another single vertical antenna...I'm sure he has me on ignore but what a shame when someone can man up for themselves.

I understand your Debate , what I don't understand is why you are being an A Hole to Robb? If you know your stuff that's great ! You just don't have to be a dink about it ...

Reactions: 1jonnyz
Any roof mounting or house install, is out of the question. This is why I mounted my antenna the way I did. I did mention in one of my postings it was mounted on a tripod. I said tripod because many people don't know what a non penetrating roof mount is but that's exactly what my antennas mounted on. It's a 3 x 3 shaped metal frame that has a five foot mast located in the center of the frame. The mast is supported by four metal bars that are bolted to the 3 x 3' frame Then bolted to the supplied mast about three feet high.The main supports are not the normal steaks that hold the antenna from falling over. The non penetrating roof mounts 3' x 3' metal forum is designed to fit eight standard cylinder blocks inside. The total weight of the eight blocks is aproximently 250 lbs give or take a few. The main purpose of this type of mount is for those who's roofs can't or the home owner doesn't want to drive nails into his flat roof (not for use on pitched). Now if installed on a roof for which it's interned the supplied 5' mast included is the maximum hight that the attached device should go. It's basically made for a small lite weight tv dish. This is not intended for any dish or antenna to go any higher then the supplied single 5' mast. I chose to use this because i insalted it in my yard on flat ground and not on a roor where it is intended to be used. I already have two 5' masts besides the 5' masts the mount was supplied with. Keeping my eyes on how the few wind storms we had in nj since I installed it affected the antenna and masts at 60 + mile an hour gusts, I'm convinced one more 5' length of mast will be fine. Xspecting I may one day add another 5' mast, I installed a four guy wire ring on the lsst mast juse below the nantenna. There are currently no guy wires attached but thin this extra mast will leave me no choice but to install three g wires staked into the ground. After concidering all the responses I've decided to add one more 5' mast with the a99. I'll leave the imax 2000 in the garage for a backup. Some replyes said the extra 5' will make no difference but if I've learned anything from this site is you don't give it a try you'll never know. I'm also going to add the five turn 8" chock while the mount/antennas on the ground. All this was giving to be done already but bad weather haulted the job. Hopefully this weekend I'll get it done. QUOTE="222D
We really need to put this theory to the test. We just need our friends down under to go online and find something they can transmit so we could get it yesterday and confirm it today, for no particular reason I recommend we use lottery numbers.(y)

BFL, post: 524005, member: 36544"]The IMAX might be a bit quieter on rx but not by much. They are fiberglass and vertical antennas so they will pick up noise. And by increasing your rx, is this for dx'ing or local talk. If you are going for local stuff, put the iMax up at the same height the A99 was and see how it works. Raise it 5ft at a time and see what happens if you can. You might also want to look I to the sirio D-27 dipole antenna up. You can mount it to a chimney or mast I'm sure, and it can be used as a vertical or as a horz. Dipole. I don't know how well they perform but if they are anything like my home made dipoles, they will work well for dx and should work fine on local as well as the A99 or better. Just some food for thought. Have a good one and take your time. If you have the IMAX and can put it up easily, try it out and see what you get. You might be suprised, who knows. But you won't know til you try. JMHO.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
I understand your Debate , what I don't understand is why you are being an A Hole to Robb? If you know your stuff that's great ! You just don't have to be a dink about it ...

Simple, he makes an ignorant statement then runs for cover so he doesn't have to back it up.This isn't the first time.

It appears he's your buddy and your standing up for him, quite admirable on your part.

Reactions: tuner

Also there is no debate here, your assuming the rest. I'm only asking for an explanation of his statement, perhaps you can answer it?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.