• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alpha 10 Max AM-1000 Overview

Simon -- you ROCK

Great video, Simon; good to see you here. But now I'm drooling over this new radio! I need a new radio like I need the proverbial hole in the head, though.

I checked out Hans' website, and it's all in German. I'm curious: do you know if Hans will do his magic to a radio then ship it here to the USA? It appears from the video that he addresses some of the issues reported by cbradiomagazine (who also rocks -- very nice work, sir! GREAT website!).

I'm sure technicians here in the USA will adopt Hans' mods eventually.

Boy, what a cool radio. :drool: I want one, I want one... now will wifey approve of replacing my DX77HML in the mobile with one? The '77 drives my MagnaForce 350 amp so nicely, and is a great radio... but... :cool:

This is the radio I been waiting for that we been talking about on and off for the past several months. It has some great features some I personally would not need but still a great radio.

Im thinking that from what I heard the RCI laid the boots to it as far as audio in the review but Ill still buy one to play with I loved the (RF RAIN) LMA:LOL:!! Ill get one of these as soon as thir available.

Ill play with this radio and decide from there if it holds its own against my RCI products. I do like all the features and programming that can be done as some of these features are seen on my HF rigs.

2CO3026,
If you view the site with the Google Chrome web browser, it will ask you if you want to translate it to english.
Tony,
It does look like the Mass DX 5000 can be polished into a nice radio.
I have read some good reviews about Hans Muller on some of the Forum`s across the pond, according to the Video, that is who did the upgrades on the radio that was featured

www.hm-funk.de

Like has already been said.....I need another radio like I need a.......

Jeff

Hi from CO1287 and happy you liked the video. Hans does address many of the issues and he has maybe more ideas up his sleeve sooner rather than later. I had a prototype Hannover BR9000 and loaned it to him, and with this he made the mods that are now available for the Maas. About the USA. of course hans will do that for you. Let me know if you will pursue it and will drop him an email or go see him. He is around 250km round trip from me. He has made mods to many radios that were good before and now excellent afterwards. There will be another video today from the Comtex, a little different in board (older) but the same mods will work.
V3 is the board of the Maas, and also some of the Anytone 5555. I ordered 3x RFRAIN versions in the UK and they came Monday/Tuesday with RFRAIN on the manual and on the box but with RFGAIN on the radio:headbang so seems my luck went :D I try now make the Comtex video so check it after mid-day East Coast

Great video, Simon; good to see you here. But now I'm drooling over this new radio! I need a new radio like I need the proverbial hole in the head, though.

I checked out Hans' website, and it's all in German. I'm curious: do you know if Hans will do his magic to a radio then ship it here to the USA? It appears from the video that he addresses some of the issues reported by cbradiomagazine (who also rocks -- very nice work, sir! GREAT website!).

I'm sure technicians here in the USA will adopt Hans' mods eventually.

Boy, what a cool radio. :drool: I want one, I want one... now will wifey approve of replacing my DX77HML in the mobile with one? The '77 drives my MagnaForce 350 amp so nicely, and is a great radio... but... :cool:

Just to clarify, a radio that can be programmed with a computer and cable is NOT a Software Defined Radio. Even if it also can be controlled by computer (which I don't believe this radio can do, it is programming only) it is still not an SDR. An SDR is a completely different animal from this rig.

Let's not get carried away with over-hyping Sam's as-yet vapor-ware. (Anyone remember the 300 watt S9 that was just around the corner 5 years ago?!)

Thanks, Jeff. Long time no-talk-to. 73

Good to see/hear from you, and I know how you feel, I keep thinking it would be a fun radio to play with.

Stop by more often, 73.

Simonradioman,
Thanks for posting, and I am looking forward to the next Vid.

Jeff

Simon: I'll sure keep your info in mind should I be unable to resist the temptation of a new radio. I appreciate your willingness to help out. Many thanks! I'm looking forward to your next vid. You sure do a great job making them. I can tell by the view count that your work is very popular!

Jeff: Will do. I think our last QSO was maybe 8 or 9 years ago. I can remember where I was in the mobile that day, and that your signal was great. I can't remember the frequency, though. Man, does time ever fly...

This looks like an amazing radio. It will be interesting to see how it catches on once it's been out for awhile. Of course, we have some very talented technicians here in the US, but there are also some real hacks (you know who they are) who would destroy the thing in a matter of seconds. Hans appears to do a high quality job, indeed. I hope to hear one on the air one of these days.

This rig appears to be something totally new, rather than a re-hashed version of the same ol' thing using the same ol' board, etc. Bravo! (...even with the "RF Rain" goof on its face -- Yikes! It's raining RF! :blink: )

YouTube - Comtex / Hannover (Kucha Hans)

Here is the Comtex / Hannover version. Not quite the same board as the Anytone V3 but with the same mods done and working well. I also enclosed a photo of the man himself with radios waiting to be done and also the people waiting for them(y) Yes the page gets a lot of attention recently. I write also for some magazines and so people check the page to see what has been happening or where have been doing some crazy with a handheld or something. Thanks for the reply

Ho Hum...

I have had one of these since they hit the market...
Gimicky ....quirky...no mic gain,...doesn't like amps....fiddly to the extreme!
great to see they can be turned into something decent as per the video simon put up....It does need the work to make it shine thats for sure...
Looks good on a christmas tree but that's about it. Once you stick your frequencies in it you can throw the cable away as it is not needed to use the radio.
still it is the first version and i am sure they will be adding upgrades like 100ch per band, ..why only 60?..fix the agc rx problem, bit more power out of the box..and do something to simplify the clarifier..too many options...
It will be useful to import as a 10m radio or stock 40ch CB then download the file with all the rest of the frequencies and fill 'er up!
but..I do like the colours, the big readout and the backlit menus....
will it ever reach the status of the lincoln, 148, grant or ar3500 as a radio?
Who knows but they are well priced and capable of flooding the market with product and serve a good shake up to the companies that have been feeding us the same rehashed diet of boring radios for the past 10 years!
lets hope galaxy and ranger et al get off their butts and go one better!
the gauntlet has been thrown gentlemen....go Anytone!

Hi DD18 Happy New Year 2011 and hope all well there? New optima/huracan vids come next days on the usual spot and just heard that Maas has now sold out and next stocks comes at the earliest in April 2011

hello

Hi Simon, Hope you had a good Chrissy and all that stuff. Will be testing the new Huracan with 12m, 8 pin icom plug and 1khz/5khz/100khz channel step options in a couple of weeks.
That Kucher AT-5555 sounded very nice. Is he going to publicize some of what he has done? What was his rationale to go with a 6 pin mic plug or was that a MAAS design?
Good to see the radios are selling well, although they don't suit my style...

Not sure Dave if he will make public all of it now? He was working long time to make the mods so think he will earn some money with them first. 6pin, well all people around here use uniden and already some plugged other 4pin mikes into the radio and there is nothing to stop the voltage and radios are away with the fairies. I will ask hans for you see if he spills the beans but he asked me so far NO INSIDE stuff on ebay just the outside.
8pin Icom, wow now that will and is going to be something indeed.
Have a nice rest of the day and super to see you here after too long

dd18 really hit it on the head, it's an amazing radio compared to what we are used to but it is quirky and it does not really work well with amps (I found it could drive an amp okay on SSB but compared to other radios it just doesn't match up well).

As far as this Hans modded version it sounds like maybe he has fixed some of the issues (although I'd need to hear audio and comparisons to other radios), but then we get back to the beginning of the argument - why should I have to send my new radio that is supposed to be "the one" to have to have 30 different mods done for it to work the way we want.

Now in later runs of these radios they may work it all out but once you have a design there are limitations on where they can go and I don't see this radio even in final versions hitting the "golden radio" mark.

I think this will be a good year for new models though and I know there are some more in the works to get excited about.

We're getting closer....and I love the fact that some change is taking place in the thinking :)

Having spoke to people in China it seems that in there next versions or ideas for the next they will have 6 pin mike, 12m and 10m thats the thinking. Voice Recorder and also Voice TX they are testing.
So guess along with this they will cure some of the niggles that come with it at the moment. However, am using a hans radio and it drives KL500 and KLV400 now very well indeed where as the out of the box anytone has been a little hit and miss.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.