• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp

Keith710

Jan 14, 2018
I’m looking at amps on eBay and just wondering if something like a 2 pill would do a couple hundred watts or more. I know I’ve seen some fat boy 3 and 4 pills do 350 or more. There’s a guy that uses a 3 pill and a general lee down the rd from me and and I can hear him clear for about 20 miles when I leave out in my truck. Now I don’t need to be heard for 20 miles but a little more boost would be helpful in my line of work. Sometimes I need to reach out 8-10 miles and if We’re running certain routes I can’t get there.

What kind of radio do you have? A 2 pill (2879) will easily do 200 watts pep. A 3 pill is a 2 pill with a built in driver. 1 transistor diving 2. Good for competition but they often self destruct.

A radio like a general lee that does 40 to 50 watts is better suited to drive a 4 pill. That combo will make 500 to 600 pep and the amp will last a long time.

Be careful with the ebay amps. You could end up with someone else's problem. Also make sure youre antenna is up to snuff. Running power with a bad antenna system can cause all kinds of interference with vehicle electronics.

Reactions: jessejamesdallas
Like 543 said...it depends on the radio...The guy you said that has a Gen Lee pushing a 1x2 is asking for problems. "Too much radio for a amp with a driver-stage" (been there done that)

Something like any stock CB radio with the DK lowered, and not swinging but around 8 to 10w's is perfect for a 1x2....I have a President McKinley that DK's about a watt, and swings around 8w's, and with my 1x2 I'm seeing little over 400w peak....and with that set-up I can talk clear across the County (between 20-30 miles)...If I can hear someone, I can get back to them...

...course all the power in the World is not going to do you any good if you skimp on your antenna set-up...

Depends on how well you want to be heard at that distance. Only rabbiporkchop can communicate over long distances with a barefoot radio. The rest of us need amplifiers.
In Rabbi's defense, he is very right about having a good antenna. Built my own base antenna, got her tuned with 1.2 @ 38' elev., am able to talk barefoot 28~30 miles. I use a 102" on my truck, barefoot is about 10~15. So many overlook having a well tuned antenna. I run a foot warmer at times in the truck, but rarely turn it on. Not many can receive/ trans in typical vehicle past 10 miles.

You need an amp for this? Time to look at your antenna.
You’re not getting out 8-10 miles on a mobile unit going through the ozarks without putting out some good numbers. Open country I have no problems, but certain routes we take it just won’t do it. And I’m running a Monkey Made coiled antenna. Pretty good antennas I think. My radio does about 85 watts high power but it just don’t quite do what I need it too. I don’t know if there’s a mobile antenna that would be better but I’ll definitely look into it. Thanks

What kind of radio do you have? A 2 pill (2879) will easily do 200 watts pep. A 3 pill is a 2 pill with a built in driver. 1 transistor diving 2. Good for competition but they often self destruct.

A radio like a general lee that does 40 to 50 watts is better suited to drive a 4 pill. That combo will make 500 to 600 pep and the amp will last a long time.

Be careful with the ebay amps. You could end up with someone else's problem. Also make sure youre antenna is up to snuff. Running power with a bad antenna system can cause all kinds of interference with vehicle electronics.
Thanks for the reply. Running a Magnum Raptor. High power puts out 80 or so and low around 30. I don’t like to run it on high simply because I’m scared of it getting hot and blowing finals. Been there a couple times. I’d rather run low and let a good little amp do the work but just wasn’t sure what I needed. From your response I. Believe a 2 pill would do all I need. Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. Running a Magnum Raptor. High power puts out 80 or so and low around 30. I don’t like to run it on high simply because I’m scared of it getting hot and blowing finals. Been there a couple times. I’d rather run low and let a good little amp do the work but just wasn’t sure what I needed. From your response I. Believe a 2 pill would do all I need. Thanks again

I would probably run a 4 pill with the radio on low or turn the high power down, but that's just how I am. The bad news is that the difference between 80 watts and 200 watts is less than 1 S unit. How much of an improvement are you needing?

It takes 4 times the power to increase 1 s unit on the receiving end. Lets pretend your fiend has aperfectly accurate signal strength meter. If you're putting a 3 on him with 80 watts you need 320 watts to give him an S4 on the meter. The 2 pill will do 300 watts but you're starting to push it and can't get too long winded.

In Rabbi's defense, he is very right about having a good antenna. Built my own base antenna, got her tuned with 1.2 @ 38' elev., am able to talk barefoot 28~30 miles. I use a 102" on my truck, barefoot is about 10~15. So many overlook having a well tuned antenna. I run a foot warmer at times in the truck, but rarely turn it on. Not many can receive/ trans in typical vehicle past 10 miles.

It's not just his super-tuned antennas but rather his super-tuned radio by his favorite super tech that does stuff nobody else can ever do. Just ask him. :whistle:

How high is the coil on your monkey made above the top of your cab/sleeper? I had a browning on the air hose slide bar on back of my kw studio sleeper n got out maybe 4 miles tops in southwest mo neo sek nwa area.i put a 5' topload stick in place of the browning n that got me out about 8 miles in same area and more on decent condition days. Galaxy 99v pushing 15 watts dead key swing 30 and 45 pep ssb.most of the time im setting at 10 watts dk,i dont like running anything full throttle.
But not everybodys milage is the same

H
I would probably run a 4 pill with the radio on low or turn the high power down, but that's just how I am. The bad news is that the difference between 80 watts and 200 watts is less than 1 S unit. How much of an improvement are you needing?

It takes 4 times the power to increase 1 s unit on the receiving end. Lets pretend your fiend has aperfectly accurate signal strength meter. If you're putting a 3 on him with 80 watts you need 320 watts to give him an S4 on the meter. The 2 pill will do 300 watts but you're starting to push it and can't get too long winded.
i don’t need much more but on some days it just don’t get back to the second truck. Usually 8-10 minutes apart. I was thinking a little more boost and a decent amp and let the amp do the work. Rather save the radio than the amp. I kinda like the radio lol. Thanks

Reactions: Rwb
Yep...and it's those who will be posting on the forums trying to find out why they can't get anyone to come back to them, or why their only able to get out a mile or two...9 time out of ten it has more to do with their antenna set-up than anything.
.........Or poor coax, bonding, ground plane issues, corrosion, rust or "My dog ate the mic!"

Reactions: jessejamesdallas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.