• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amps and low pass filters

Chances are the neighbor may have one of the antenna signal amplifiers IF they are using OTA reception antenna.

Need to ask what type of signal they are receiving for their tv viewing.

If indeed they are using an OTA type antenna and signal amplifier then it may not have the proper filtering in it and will amplify any signal that it receives, including your transmitted signal.

Chances are the neighbor may have one of the antenna signal amplifiers IF they are using OTA reception antenna.

Need to ask what type of signal they are receiving for their tv viewing.

If indeed they are using an OTA type antenna and signal amplifier then it may not have the proper filtering in it and will amplify any signal that it receives, including your transmitted signal.

Ugggghhhhhhhh.......those signal amplifiers are notorious for overloading and causing all sorts of problems. I used to run one and had nothing but trouble with it despite chokes etc. It just simply could not handle the high RF field it was subjected too......not that I had much power mind you. LOL 100 watts would cream it depending on the operating frequency and 80m and 20m, my two favourite bands, were the worst.

Reactions: wavrider
I would tear my OTA tv set up using one of those amplifiers, I was on 75 meters .
Remove the amplifier from the tv antenna and I could use full legal limit and not touch the tv reception.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Well I guess once in awhile I do things right.:whistle:
I have a Channel Master mast mounted OTA pre-amp. This is powered via the coax, which is Hughes-Microwave double shielded RG/11 down the tower and thru crawl space to distribution block.(about 70ft.)
I use Belden #1694 double shield "High Brilliance" RG/6 for interior distribution cable to all devices via a Dynaflex 8 port tap block.
All connectors, including those for RG/11 and RG/6 are "F-CONN" brand pressed on connectors, I also use the F-CONN/type RCA connectors and RG/6 Belden #1694 for interconnections from DVD/CD players to Theater amp and Fiber-Optics from DVR and the Sony XBR 46" TV...to/from the Harmon Kardon theater amp.
All equipment is grounded via copper water piping mounted about 3 feet from my Bread-boarded distribution point in the garage about 6-8 feet from most of the equipment.
I did have to add a DRAKE single port distribution amp to increase the signal to one set about 100 feet away in the far point of the house.
Guess what? No HF(80m-10m) interference on any band even running near legal limit power.:whistle:
I do have a "slight issue" on 6m (with a few weaker OTA stations) and this normally only occurs when I point my 5 element LFA due South running the KW amp. Guess which direction my OTA antenna is from my from my LFA beam...YEP DUE SOUTH!:LOL:...
So I guess I am lucky!
No neighbors have reported interference issues and I have been here 16 years (but most use cable or SAT service), however OTA antennas are visible from my location.
I do have Filters on output of the amps and even installed a Band-Pass filter after the transceiver for 6 meters before going to the amp.
So a proper install here appears to keep me clean.
I have at other locations, changed coax, added filters to near-by neighbors to solve issues for them.
They have to be willing to allow you to do this.
I did have one neighbor at the other home I owned years ago, that refused to allow me to do any work to her sets. When the FCC sent me a letter about interference complaints from guess who?
I informed them of my attempt to solve the issue and my assistance was refused.
You should have heard them "Bitching" at me, and complaining to other neighbors when the FCC sent them a return letter stating they needed to either update their system or get better shielded equipment.:love::LOL:
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.