• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

An absolutely fabulous read from 1977...

To help those that may have got lost...

(...you're mean @Slowmover - LOL! In an awesome way...)

Looks like I’m as sentimental as you. I have to keep a handkerchief at hand while running the roads.

There’s the “I” someone like Sinatra did so well (love), or the “we” such as in “Convoy” that is as much hymn as anything (achieving a desired end).

If I could figure out how to paste the addresses from this phone I’d link:

1). Marilyn Horne, from The Complete Decca Recitals, in, “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”;

and,

2). Georges Thill, “Noel/ Minuit Chretiens”

as examples of now-I-have-to-pull-off-the-highway-to-clear-these-eyeglasses singing.

Giving the last full measure.

Many men believe themselves patriots. But until a woman of this caliber startles the congregation, unbidden, sweeping us off of our feet, that “patriotism” is not yet real.

Thill gives the finest performance of Silent Night I ever hope to hear. I believe it’s from about 1938.

3). And his, “La Marseillaise? “.

Tell me you’ve watched the Yellow Vests and not wanted to join in listening to this (THE) interpretation. Sixty years of life and I finally found a worthy performance. While I love the full orchestral Georges Bizet version, it is the man or woman who changes us.

THIS is a Frenchman!!

As with Bradford, Pennsylvania’s Marilyn Horne. A voice and a heartfelt interpretation that reduces me to tears. (Her PBS 1983 telecast “Live from Lincoln Center: The Great American Songbook” has been hidden away by the Enemy. It’s too moving. The later studio recordings aren’t the same; even this selection).

Yeah, driving a truck and using YouTube music selections has its moments.

4). Dave Dudley’s, “Six Days on the Road” captures it ALL for a driver. His sacrifice for family. The gambles based on experience. That it’s all come together (“passing a Jimmy and a White”) means there’s more to life than just the physical.

Some things aren’t going to be explained.

Last edited:
All of the above, this could be a long thread - great suggestions. :)

I used to have a Cassette from Radio Shack - Put The Hammer Down - every song from "I'm A Truck" to a "Place in the sun" had a place in my life - reminding me of before the time when my life with family stopped, but I kept going. Yes, right along with John Denvers' Classic "Country Roads".

There is a ton of songs Bobby Bare - The Jogger - onto "Thank God And Greyhound" from Roy Clark - it made AM and later on, FM such a "best friend to remind you of home" even if it only had a single mono speaker mounted - buried under logbooks, Bills and maps...on the dashboard...in some instances, it actually helped the speaker produce a better tone than when you hear the reprocessed versions on CD nowadays.

I still think back to those days of being parked in a Truckstop somewhere, left under a pile of snowfall, or dew covered windshield with sparrows chirping chatting brining morning in from the night before - wondering how I was able to make it there in those conditions. You click on the radio and tune the local band to find something to listen to. I usually tune in to find some kinds of classic country playing, it's when you then reflect on "Phantom 309" the Red Sovine classic, and where you are at. Then, BAM! It hits you, reminds you, to be thankful - keep your mount shut and accept the free coffee - you don't always get a free pass in life....

I thought I was the only one.
I have a playlist on Spotify called "CB Centric" and I have a boatload of any and every CB radio/trucking song I find.
I did a search in Spotify for your CB Centric playlist, but no results. I was just wanted to see if there was any files that I could add to my CB song archive. Maybe I didn't enter something correctly, I'm not certain.

be thankful - keep your mount shut and accept the free coffee - you don't always get a free pass in life....

Outstandingly good advice. I need to tape that to the dash of my car. And the mirror in the bathroom. And our fridge.

Speaking of Thank God and Greyhound, I remember watching Roy sing it on Hee Haw. A while back you might say.

Hew Haw is a vastly underrated show of wit and humor not seen since...

Remember the KORN news guy and his "chicken" in the upper corner?

Charlie_Farquharson.jpg

And Grampa describing tonights' Supper...thru open panes no less...

grandpa-jones.jpg

And how can we forget the beauties of the show???
7615bc700662b1ecc4663e1d6e2e02bc.jpg

Wow...you don't see this too much anymore...

SIGH...

But, hey I digress - you'd better take the ball back and put this thread back up on the tracks...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.