• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Analyzer question

T

taz

What does this look like? This is a Maco V-5000 at 45ft. I believe this means X is inductive right?

26.965 - 1.3 SWR
R= 38
X= 5

27.205 1.2 SWR
R=53
X=11

27.405 1.3 SWR
R=67
X=6

Taz scan your analyzer down frequency below channel one and see if you can find X = 0 anywhere. I suspect your X values are inductive (+). If you cannot find X = 0 near the 11 meter band then let me know.

How long of a line are you using to take your readings?

Read your instructions for how to determine the sign of the reactance in your antenna.

Yes it does. LMR-400 100ft. This is with an MFJ-259B

1.5 SWR
R=32..
X=0

Will this hurt to run any amount of power with the X being like it is?

NEW FOUND DISCOVERY:

These readings are from a BRAND NEW analyzer. I have found its either not calibrated or its bad. Just compared it with an analyzer of the same model that was recently calibrated at MFJ.

When this antenna was put up it was tuned with a friends analyzer and it was

1.0 SWR
X = 2
R= 50

I exchanged the analyzer for the same model.. SAME PROBLEM except the second one showed same SWR but worse reflect.. X was at least 2 points higher on the same freqs I tested as above..

Also we put a bird meter on the antenna with 10RMS out it showed 35mw in reflect back.

I can't believe Ham Radio Outlet has a bad batch of analyzers.... its a total loss for me.. I'm going to see if HRO will send it to MFJ for me.. This is ridiculous. I can't believe MFJ would sell such crap. I might just get the palstar analyzer.

It is easy enough to verify the analyzer by building test circuits with known components. They are cheap.

What does an ohm meter across that dummy load show?
All things considered, I think the two analyzers are at least of the same accuracy, which isn't all that bad. Those '2 points' of reactance are next to meaningless, you can get that from almost any differences in several things, including who's holding the meter and how.
Expecting pin-point accuracy from any mass produced device is just a little bit unreasonable. But, send the meter back for calibration and ask to know if and how much it was off. One of us is probably going to be a little surprised at the answer (they will answer that question).
How do you tell if that 'X' (reactance) is (+) or (-)? Fastest way is by adding a little known reactance to the antenna and seeing which way the 'X' goes. An antenna a little too long is inductive, or '+X'. Too short is '-X' or capacitive. If you add to the antenna's length slightly and the 'X' gets slightly larger, then the 'X' is inductive or (+). If there's no change, or the 'X' gets slightly smaller, then it's capacitive or (-). That sort of testing relies a great deal on how much length is added, and the knowledge/experience of the person doing the testing. Doing the test circuits with known values is the most reliable, and it's also how calibrations are done by the way.
To add to the confusion a little bit (oh for joy!), all analyzers use a signal generator, or oscillator, or transmitter on a particular frequency (adjustable) to get it's readings. The accuracy of that signal generator shows you what frequency the thing is resonant at. That signal generator can also need calibration. So, the cost of doing all that calibrating isn't gonna be all that cheap. If it gives you peace of mind though, it's well worth it.
- 'Doc

If you still aren't happy with it after having it calibrated, I'll swap you a case of your favorite beer for it. (Ain't paying no shipping though.) Now, is that a deal, or is that a deal!

taz said:
Yeah.. like a dummy load that shows 1.2 and R= 45 and X = 2...

If that upsets you Taz, then try the following comparisons:

Connect the analyzer directly (no jumper) to the dummy load and record Freq, SWR, R, X. Then do the same with several different length jumpers and tell us what differences you see affected simply by difference in line length. If you see the same as I do, then you will sense the frustration in trying to be perfect unless maybe you tune right at the feed point and right were the antenna will be installed for operations.

Among the several dummy loads here, I have never seen one hooked to an analyzer that reflected a pure match at R=50, X=0, at any frequency I had in mind. Some will handle the R=50 ohms pretty well, but there is always some reactance showing and sometimes I see no reactance, but the resistance is off by a few points.

As I have said before, with the modest power levels we use we are just lucky we don't have to have a perfect match. This allows us to work at or very near maximum, and even if we do get these features perfect on our antenna it is probably a waste of time expecting anyone to notice the difference.

The proof of any antenna system is not in a bunch of numbers on a bunch of meters and analyzers; it's in whether the system can radiate a signal efficiently and receive a reply to that signal equally efficiently.

You can get "perfect" "numbers" from a dummy load, but efficiency won't be the best.

Once again: you can sweat bullets chasing rainbows (or magic numbers), OR you can get on the air and make contacts and have fun.

Your call.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.