• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Analyzer question

Well Taz, even though the numbers you gave us turned out to be in error, do you think you got an answer to your question? Or, were you just trying to make a point about how poorly made and useless the MFJ analyzer and dummy loads are? Did the Bird reveal all this to you?

Maybe Beetle is right on the mark and as CB'ers we should just forget about trying to understand and try and enjoy our radios talking trivia instead.

Nope. Beetle missed the mark on this one and the analyzer is one of MFJ's good piece of equipment. Not as good as my AEA, but it works as advertised!

BTW, a dummy load does EXACTLY what it was designed to do......convert RF energy into heat. Its not an antenna at all.

Master Chief said:
Nope. Beetle missed the mark on this one and the analyzer is one of MFJ's good piece of equipment. Not as good as my AEA, but it works as advertised!

BTW, a dummy load does EXACTLY what it was designed to do......convert RF energy into heat. Its not an antenna at all.

I never said the analyzer isn't a worthwhile tool to have. I have a 259B, I have owned earlier versions (such as a 249 for which MFJ produced a conversion kit which turned it into a sort of Beta version of the 259B) and a few others. They are an important part of my toolbox.

What I said was that the proof is, essentially, in the pudding. You can have an antenna that shows, on an analyzer, a 50 ohm non-reactive impedance and still doesn't seem to "work" because of lossy coax, defective connections, or other problems. It's just like a dummy load: absorbs and dissipates all the power applied to it, reflecting none of it.

I've seen it happen in civilian life; I've seen it happen on Navy shipboard installations.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.