• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna God's needed 102" issues..

I used to drive an old Volvo 660 and used a Van Ordt 4.5' pow-r-sick top loaded fiberglass antenna, and that antenna talked some serious skip with just a 35 watt Connex 3300. They don't make those antennas anymore, but I would try a 4-5 foot top loaded antenna. A friend of mine gets out real good with a skipshooter antenna. I believe they are very similar in design as the Van Ordt's. Here is their website. http://www.skipshooterantennas.com/Antennas/S412.html

I understand not wanting the MM looking antenna. I would probably still be using a fiberglass antenna, but I had a bad habit of knocking them apart. So i use a double coil Predator 10k and love it. No need to lean it forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: sitting duck 616
one of the things i noticed is the coax wrapped around the pogo stick thing,,, unwrap that andjust let it hang down tied on someway,,, better to get it up above cab and away from all metal,,,,

I would think the Wilson Silverload would work. I had used a K4o top loaded antenna and it worked very good. But, I broke it like I did all my other fiberglass antennas. That is why I went to the Predator 10k. Probably any 4-5 foot good quality top loaded antenna would be fine. I was surprised at how well that K40 worked.

I would think the Wilson Silverload would work. I had used a K4o top loaded antenna and it worked very good. But, I broke it like I did all my other fiberglass antennas. That is why I went to the Predator 10k. Probably any 4-5 foot good quality top loaded antenna would be fine. I was surprised at how well that K40 worked.
Yes sir ...the k40 top loaded is a beast did 40 mile talk no problem.. running thru west virginia and ohio ..

4 ft SilverLoad antenna on the middle of the headache rack, or a 5 ft SilverLoad antenna on a mirror mount.

I'd prefer the headache rack with the 4 ft SilverLoad; but I'd make sure that the clearance/height above ground to the antenna tip wasn't an issue. This is why the mirror mount is so popular. There is one company that makes a mirror mount with a vise grip attachment, which means that it can always be adjusted on the fly if it should become loose.

The SilverLoad antenna is a top loaded antenna, but a Firestik with similar lengths will also work just fine. There aren't any magic antennas; just common sense that dictates any antenna properly located and mounted above the mass of metal below will have superior perrformance.

There has been many threads like this on this forum like this one and I'm sure that I've read most if not all of them - concerning antenna mounts on tractors in the last six years. You can read some/all of them yourself and will draw the same conclusions - I recon.

Using a braided bonding cable may well be necessaary to connect the door to the chassis so that it will match properly if you go with the mirror mount.

Or run a 1/4 wave steel whip on the front bumper if you feel comfortable with that; but that would be the least desireable placement.

Last edited:
20141124_190321_zpsxrzmb7l2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.