• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Matching With Yaesu 101E

"Can someone please explain why my receive is so poor WITH the tuner. As stated, a station I'm receiving at 9db without the tuner will drop to 1 with."

I think the first reason is probably that receivers are just not that 'picky' about SWR, impedance matching, dang near anything will 'work'. The closer that antenna is to resonant on a particular band, the better it will 'work'/perform, on both receiving and transmitting.
There are going to be losses with impedance matching, the 'size' of those losses will depend on how resonant the antenna is to start with, and 'where' you do that impedance matching. If it's done at the transmitter end of the feed line, and is the antenna system (feed line and antenna) isn't very 'close' to being 'right', the more those losses can amount to. Compensating/adjusting for that impedance mismatch at the transmitter means that the receiver will also be affected. How much the receiver is affected is a direct result of how far 'off' things are. Since that 'A99' is too short for any of the bands lower in frequency than about 27 Mhz, it means more inductance has to be used to do that 'compensating' and that means more losses. If it were the other way around, if the antenna was too long, then you wouldn't have as much inductance being used and the losses probably wouldn't be as large. That's one of the reasons why a 'multi-band' antenna is of a length for the lowest band of use, for the other bands it'll be too long.
Not the best way, or the most detailed way of saying it, but that's the general idea.
- 'Doc

Thanks doc & again to all! Any suggestions on a multiband vertical I can use that does not require long wire radials...just a vertical dipole like the A99.

Can look on QTH classifieds, or Eham, or QRZ for vertical antennas.

Gap verticals, then Cushcraft and some other manufactures are out there.

I have tried the Cushcraft R7 only because it was given to me. Had to do a lot of adjusting to get it resonant on all the advertised bands so will need a good analyzer or do a lot of walking back and forth to check VSWR. Did it work? I made some contacts into EU, I also gave it to another ham who was in need of an multi-band vert with limited space. That R7 fit the bill for what he needed. I was not impressed with it.

Friend of mine has been using a gap vertical for quite a while. Makes many contacts on it. We put up a multiband dipole. He says the dipole is better all around than the vert.

No radial verticals are well, half an antenna but they do work, sort of.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.