• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone know About this Shure Hand Mic?

Well, I found that it is a CB mic, has a magnetic cartridge, and has a four wire plug. It is true that there appears to be no literature for it that I can find. I would send an email to Shure Bros Inc and see if they can scare something up for you.

It is probably built like a brick house, in that the materials such as the PTT switch and the mic element themselves are top quality. Shure never made a mic I didn't like; they still make some of the most popular mics used today. I'm Shure you will like it once you have sorted it out.

Reactions: Eastside
.......I googled it and got nothing.....so I know its not a cb radio mic?

it is a 1960 ish magnetic mic, manufactured by Shure OEM division for a second party.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

From the 1940s to the 1990s, Shure had an OEM Sales Department. This department sought out opportunities to sell Shure products to other manufacturers that needed a microphone or phono cartridge as part of its own product.

Examples of Shure OEM products over six decades:

1940s - Western Electric public address systems supplied with Shure OEM microphones.

1950s - Wollensak tape recorders supplied with Shure OEM microphones and OEM recording heads.

1960s - General Electric two-way radios supplied with Shure OEM microphones.

1970s - Dual phonograph turntables supplied with Shure OEM phono cartridges.

1980s - HME, Swintek, and Edcor wireless microphones supplied with Shure OEM mic elements.

1990s - Radio Shack purchased OEM phono cartridges and microphones from Shure.

OEM products were based on standard Shure models but with minor variations. These variations included, but were not limited to, unusual connectors, different cable lengths, uncommon product colors; obscure mounting methods, bulk packaging to save shipping costs, distinctive name plates with logos, and unique model numbers.

you won't find anything on the SHURE site by using the CM9AG number,.. that is not a SHURE number and there is no cross reference list in existance.

FWIW,... It "SHURE" looks like a model 401a or 401b mic :cautious:

http://www.shure.com/user-guides/us_pro_401b_ug_27a198_md_.pdf

Last edited:
... It is true that there appears to be no literature for it that I can find. I would send an email to Shure Bros Inc and see if they can scare something up for you..... Shure never made a mic I didn't like; they still make some of the most popular mics used today. I'm Shure you will like it once you have sorted it out.

here is a link to the discontinued mic database,... the only way I know to find out what each model number is (unless you just happen to know the number) is to open the files themselves.

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/user-guides/discontinued-products/microphones

Well, I found that it is a CB mic, has a magnetic cartridge, and has a four wire plug. It is true that there appears to be no literature for it that I can find. I would send an email to Shure Bros Inc and see if they can scare something up for you.

It is probably built like a brick house, in that the materials such as the PTT switch and the mic element themselves are top quality. Shure never made a mic I didn't like; they still make some of the most popular mics used today. I'm Shure you will like it once you have sorted it out.

I never seen a cb with a xlr jack...and your right...it is built like a tank...best quality hand mic I ever had in my hands....and it is like new.

Thanks Robb and RS....Thanks for the links RS....and I think your right 401....really high quality well built...I downloaded the PDF...thanks again

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I wonder if an impedance transformer from an electrovoice us602FH could be used in reverse for that your microphone? if so, I have a bunch of extras laying around I have no use for. that particular microphone has a low impedance element with a matching transformer to match it to a high impedance circuit which makes the microphone useless unless you remove the transformer.
They came in two slightly different models, the A and B version. The B version is low impedance, suitable for CB radios as is. If it is an A version, he can always install a impedance xformer to bring it down to low impedance; a few bucks on eBay.

http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/379/us_pro_401b_ug_27a198_md_.pdf

Last edited:
Last edited:
Funny you posting about old mics like these. I ran across a couple of old mics myself, nothing special, but anyway. Here is what I came across.
2 x Regency mod#
2 x Icom HM-35 noise cancelling dynamic's.
1 x CRS DTMF dynamic mod#600L with manual.
All mics were brand new. I ended up using one of the Icom HM35 mics on my kenwood ts140s, but had to remove some components from the mic in order to get the proper audio I wanted. Now getting great reports from the radio with me using it vs the stock mic that was making me sound bad!! All were given to me for free so no money spent. I also wired one of the Regency mics to 4 pin cobra and found the audio to be a little low as far as loudness went, but it was clean and clear!! Would be a nice noise cancelling mic for most any radio IMO. I tested it on my Icom 746, and with comp. turned on it wouldn't spike the ALC meter, but like I said, has very nice, clean audio.
Here are a couple of pics of the mics. And yes I flipped the colors around. The regency mics are this way anyway. And all these mics were made in Japan minus the CES mic which was made in FL I beleive, and they are all for business band radios. But they will work on most radios with some re wiring. Anyways, some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg