• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2 with RFX95HD Install

I tried the Ares 2 with an RM Italy KL203-p amplifier just to compare. I could adjust the carrier up and down and it never pinched the carrier at any setting. It looks like the RFX is not a good match for the Ares 2, and I am not quite sure what is causing it. Maybe something to do with the input padding and gain compression? Or maybe that the RFX is a single transistor? Maybe I got a Bum RFX? If anyone tries this, and gets better results please let us know.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Eldorado828
I think it is the padding on the input side, I think the guys at palomar mostly intended for it to go on cobra 29s with cliped limiters.

I have recently had 3 rfx kits blow the electrolytic capacitor in them shortly after powering up the unit the first time, after I change the cap no more problems. I run my bench at 14.8 because that is what many of the trucks provide to the radio and I like to tune at working voltage but that should not have blown the supposedly 16 volt cap/

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I think it is the padding on the input side, I think the guys at palomar mostly intended for it to go on cobra 29s with cliped limiters.

I have recently had 3 rfx kits blow the electrolytic capacitor in them shortly after powering up the unit the first time, after I change the cap no more problems. I run my bench at 14.8 because that is what many of the trucks provide to the radio and I like to tune at working voltage but that should not have blown the supposedly 16 volt cap/
I have an RFX95HD on my Galaxy 86v, works great, looks great on the scope in both AM and SSB. The Ares 2 is just different for some reason.

Just randomly ran across this.

Jeff

This one looks great on the scope, I am not sure what adjustments he made if any for the punching carrier. Someone suggested that I could reduce the modulation so that is something to try I guess. I made a comment on this video, and the reply suggests that he didn't have this problem. I have another RFX unit that I can try too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.