• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Art Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp

Lil'Yeshua

Nov 22, 2012
Pageland,S.C.
Hey guys.
I was looking for a mic preamp to run different mic's and to experiment with studio mic's sometime down the road. I bought a Art Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp off Amazon. Has anyone configured input/output cables to interface a hand mic/studio mic to a CB/Ham radio?
Specifications:
http://m.guitarcenter.com/Item/Default.aspx?itemno=1171932&urx=1#features
Output Impedance:XLR/1/4;600 ohms/300 ohms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Any suggestions for a good studio quality mic with XLR connections?
Note that the XLR on the ART tube is 600 ohms as compared to 300 ohms for the 1/4 output. I'm thinking that this would match up with a transceiver.

Most studio mics are going to be dynamic cardioid elements, and will work on most radios with just some minor changes in the radio's mic audio circuit. A preamp really isn't going to be needed unless there's a huge difference in output impedance on the mic itself.

I use a Shure SM58 studio mic on my station. I have tried several other studio mics, and I have found that the SM58 works the best for my voice. It sounds real good on my President Madison, which is the radio I specifically setup and modified to run with this particular mic.

Another brand of mic to look at would be Heil mics, those are also excellent mics to use.

~Cheers~

I'm curious and plan to experiment with tube preamps and studio quality mic's. One application may be CB/Ham transceivers. Robb;what did you do to modify your radio ? Plus my church is planning on setting up a studio to do video type productions and have formal training in this area of expertise. Since I'm a trainee learning a sound board,I'm interested in sound reproduction.
Home Page

I picked up my Art Tube MP Studio Tube mic preamp. I found a Shure mic at Sweetwater.com
I was thinking about getting two 10 ft. XLR cables w/ends. Instead of modifying the XLR output cable end,I might make an interface that the output XLR cable plugs into and a output four pin plug for a mic cord extension cable to go the radio.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM58

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 1

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned