• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Art Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp

Just follow the direction Robb wrote in that article. It works fine... If not, spend a little on the OnAirDesigns box... they work well too...

After dabbling, you might find that the mic preamp (especially the ArtTube) may be a little distorted (over modulated) at proper output and will eventually want to step up to a quality (but, reasonable priced) mixer board. Much better clarity and fine tuning. And expandable as well....

That SM58 is a nice mic, but, pretty pricey to dabble, as an alternative, can try a Behringer XM8500... it's less than $30 and sounds great for the price tag.

I read some product reviews on both mic's. The Shure is an all around more versitile mic that adds warmth the vocals while the Behringer is good for back up vocals and musical instruments and adds brilliance. In my opinion,I'd pick the Shure just because of it being a more all around capable mic.

P.S. As far as dabbling goes,I'm considering future possibilities and uses for a studio mic.

Haven't tried the Heil, but I have the Radio Shack equivalent of the SM58 that I scored on clearance for 38 bucks. Great sounding mic, and I run it through my W2IHY gear. Shure has a rebate going that will save you 10 bucks:
Shure Americas | Rebates | SM Rebate 2013

RT307

I found a Shure SM-48 LC on Amazon for $39. Doesn't have the midrange boom the 58 has but looks like a deal and has a 3 pin XLR that will match my Art Tube Preamp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.