• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

radionut...and more of y'all too...thanks for the help so far, and I'm sure I'll be asking for more. Y'all will probably get tired of me!:D

I checked out the links, and you've already helped me with one decision. I didn't know that model Baofeng existed. I called the folks you linked tyo this morning and asked some questions and wound up ordering two of them. 2m and 70cm is now covered.

Thanks to all the input I think y'all have changed my mind on the Yeticom 10-12m radio. I still think its a good quality radio for what it does, but tou've convinced me it is too limiting. One thing that had me almost convinced to get it was price. I'm on a REAL tight budget and figgered an all band would be out of reach. Since I found a source for a new Yeti (a member here, BTW) that was going to sell me a new one for $265 shipped I thought that would be the way to go, at least for now.

I've changed my mind...I think.

The Alinco and the Yaesu you linked to are out of my range, I'm afraid (I REALLY like that Alinco, BTW, and the reviews on eham.com speak well of it), bhut another poster in this thread gave me this link:

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1140168 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

I THINK this is a good deal but am too ignorant about Ham to really make an intelligent judgement. How about you folks weighing in on it for me?

Now I have to start figgerin' out what I'm gonna settle on for a budget antenna setup.

Thanks again folks...and keep the help coming!

Edit/Add Thanks for the hamradioexam.com link too. I've been using the eham.com tests (and consistantly been scoring in the high 60's) but it doesn't actually TEACH me anything. Your link will be a big help I think. Again...thanks!

Reactions: 1 person
I think you should start reading up on your antenna theory . Many of the best antennas are built not bought.This hobby doesn't have to be about who has the largest bank balance. A roll of copper wire and you can work the world if you have the knowledge. Sorry about the ambiguous answer.

Reactions: sanman
The IC-740 was a workhorse radio. It is last radio before they started putting processers in radios, so has no cpu noise. But it does not have general coverage receive. You can not use it on 11 meter. But you do have a Cobra for that. If you can contact a local ham, you can arrange to hear it on the air before you buy, something you would not be able to do with most ebay sales.
Rich

The cool thing to me about HF is that you can build your own antenna, and do it fairly cheap. If you're industrious about collecting junk, you can find all kinds of stuff to make an antenna. Dipoles are really simple and easy to make, and work really well. Same for a delta loop. Or an extended zepp, double extended zepp, off center fed dipole, etc. The hardest part for me was figuring out what would work with what yard space I have. I ended up with an end fed 10 meter 1/2 wave (thanks to HomerBB), a delta loop that is mounted on my roof with a 4:1 balun, and an end fed random wire with a 9:1 unun. All work surprisingly well, and I'm in an HOA. Spend time on the internet, buy an ARRL book, go to the Cebik site, ask all your local ham buds, etc about what would work best for your situation. And ask here, too. As you can tell, we're all eager to help.

Brett

The IC-740 was a workhorse radio. It is last radio before they started putting processers in radios, so has no cpu noise. But it does not have general coverage receive. You can not use it on 11 meter. But you do have a Cobra for that. If you can contact a local ham, you can arrange to hear it on the air before you buy, something you would not be able to do with most ebay sales.
Rich

Is 11 meter the only thing I'd be missing with that Icom? If I had a rig that did 11 meter I'd take the Cobra to the truck, but if that's the only shortcoming I can leave them side-by-side on my desk no problem.

Is the Icom 12v or 120v, and if 12v will my 12a popwer supply drive both? No amplification beyond stock radio(s) at least for now.

I hadn't thought of getting a local Ham to contact the seller so I could hear the radio. Is that a normal request to ask of the seller?

Last edited:
BH: I like my GT-3...Not the best HT I have ever had but for the cost! Damn nice little hand held.
Now as to other things, many here are correct...I prefer to make more antennas then I ever purchase new. I presently have one antenna, the design goes back 70+ years. The antenna is called a W8JK wire beam. I adapted the measurements to make it work on many of my everyday operating bands. Works excellent on 80/75 meters, does well on 40/20/17 meters also using an antenna tuner. The version I have up kicks butt(NO Kicks Ass) everyday over many "purchased ready made" antennas.
The disadvantage for most is it takes a little space and effort to make one play well.
Smaller versions can be built for 20/17/15 and 10 meters. The nice thing it is built from scrap #12 copper wire(approx 280 ft total) and a good quality type 300 Ohm TV antenna twin lead. ( I used the Best Twin Lead I could find) Why because I am running legal limit power thru it(1500 watts)
I have used cheap Radio Shack type(like 100ft for $15.00 stuff) for up to 500 watts and really no difference.
Anyway don't get hung up on cost just yet. First thing is START/Continue your studies. Don't settle for Tech...Go General!...Start saving your pennies best you can. It does not take the best gear out there to have RADIOFUN and there are certainly MANY good Hams to purchase Used gear from.
Look for HAMFESTS in your area, buy a ticket(normally like $5.00) and go look around, this will give you a change to see what's out there, talk to other operators and just spend a few hours getting out.
Enuf for now 73
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Don't worry...I will, probably more than y'all want...hehehe I don't know any local Hams, but that will change, I'm sure. Meantime, just so you know, most of your post went right over my head...delta loops, zepps, double extended zepps...all I can say is..."Huh?" :D :D :D

GOOGLE is your friend! The more you want to! The more will come your way
Everyone's needs and wants are different and after 30++ years as a Ham, I have used and done a lot.
The best part of this hobby most times is finding out how little it takes, just to have fun!
All the Best
Gary

Thanks Gary...and thanks again for the Baofeng pointer...looking forward to recieving the radios...was told they'd ship today. I can't talk till I get my ticket, but I can listen and learn.

Incidentally, I've learned I can sit for both exams at the same session...take tech and if I pass immediately take general. That's what I'm planning to do. Next exam session close by (40 miles) is September, and I plan to be there for both!

Is 11 meter the only thing I'd be missing with that Icom? If I had a rig that did 11 meter I'd take the Cobra to the truck, but if that's the only shortcoming I can leave them side-by-side on my desk no problem.

Is the Icom 12v or 12 v, and if 12v will my 12a popwer supply drive both? No amplification beyond stock radio(s) at least for now.

I hadn't thought of getting a local Ham to contact the seller so I could hear the radio. Is that a normal request to ask of the seller?

most hf ham radios can be easily modified for 11 meter with a snip or a solder...

Is the Icom 12v or 12 v, and if 12v will my 12a popwer supply drive both? No amplification beyond stock radio(s) at least for now.

If you want 11meters buy a cb. The ICOM is 12 volts. You don't need an amp, the ICOM is 100 watts.

I know I'm getting away from this subforum topic, antennas, but it seems this is a central place where folks are trying to help me get figured out what I want/need to do. Mods, if you need to move this stuff for being off topic, I understand...feel free.

On the other hand, if this stays up...

What do y'all think of a Kenwood TS 530S HF? There is one on EBay now with the current bid @ $275.00. It will probably go up but it may stay in my budget range. Is this a good radio?

I agree be careful with eBay but it is a good source for gear. The 530 is a excellent rig if it's working correctly. The 530 is a hybrid rig meaning a stolid state receiver and tube finals. The price is fair if it stays close to where it is now but any higher and it gets in the not worth it department. As others have said checkout qth.

I know I'm getting away from this subforum topic, antennas, but it seems this is a central place where folks are trying to help me get figured out what I want/need to do. Mods, if you need to move this stuff for being off topic, I understand...feel free.

On the other hand, if this stays up...

What do y'all think of a Kenwood TS 530S HF? There is one on EBay now with the current bid @ $275.00. It will probably go up but it may stay in my budget range. Is this a good radio?

I honestly would steer clear of Ebay, and as others have mentioned, look at QTH.com. Yes, there are still shysters out there, but it's more of a safe haven for ham guys. As far as the rig goes, the Kenwood TS-530S is built like a tank. Nice old rigs, with a huge following. I mentioned before that I have a TS-520, and have since become a big fan of the old hybrid rigs. Want to read up on them? GREAT site: Kenwood Amateur Radio Hybrid Pages The 530s is an OLD rig, though. Pros? great receiver, great transmit audio, (even with a stock hand mic), built in power supply, digital readout, tough tube driver/final output, the ability to learn how to operate/tune a rig, not just turn it on and talk. Cons? Old rigs take some tlc to maintain them... (maybe not in your budget if it needs an alignment, new tubes, etc.), tuning process has a slight learning curve (videos on YouTube to show you how to do it properly), tuning process can be cumbersome, especially when changing bands.

I wanted to mention as I read your past post again... your current power supply doesn't have the amperage to run a transistorized HF rig. You'll need at least 20 amps to be safe. Something to consider if you buy a rig with a built in supply like the Kenwood TS-530s, you don't have to worry about it.

And for running your HF rig on 11 meters? This one opens up a whole other thread... :laugh:

73 and keep studying!
Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.