• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

The Icom will do 11 meter. As a ham you cannot claim stupidy when the FCC visits. So keep the Cobra as a legal certified radio for 11. Stayy away from ebay and tube type radios. Tube radios have to be tuned and loaded, and since you are new, you might have trouble. If you had an experienced Elmer nearby it would be alright, but the days of the Elmer are pretty much gone. Now your Elmers are on line.
Rich

QTH does NOT like me!

OK...I've tried to register at QTH.com, but it seems they only like currently licensed Hams. Will not register me without a call sign. Same goes with trying to email some of the folks placing ads...no dice. Their email system denies a message without a call sign.

Also...re: the caution about older tube type and hybrid radios...it seems that most of the solid state radios are out of my price range, and the radios in my range have tubes. Given my inexpirience how foolish would it be for me to pick up a hybrid, like a Kenwood TS-520 or similar?

Last edited:
OK...I've tried to register at QTH.com, but it seems they only like currently licensed Hams. Will not register me without a call sign. Same goes with trying to email some of the folks placing ads...no dice. Their email system denies a message without a call sign.

Also...re: the caution about older tube type and hybrid radios...it seems that most of the solid state radios are out of my price range, and the radios in my range have tubes. Given my inexpirience how foolish would it be for me to pick up a hybrid, like a Kenwood TS-520 or similar?
Not foolish at all, they just required a learning curve to operate. As has been said they are not turn on and talk. I run tube rigs and love them. I would however look at a 530 or like because of the digital display. The web is full of instructions on care and feeding of them as well as how to tune.

...they just required a learning curve...they are not turn on and talk..I would however look at a 530 or like because of the digital display.

No problem with the learning curve. Age has given me the patience to learn. I hope! :D

I've been looking around and reading (all day...wife has to work today. The 4th in retail means holiday sale day, not Independence Day) and I've (I think) settled on one of 4 radios, all Kenwoods. The TS-520S, TS-530S, TS-820S, and TS-830S. I read a few articles on the Kenwood hybrid series and all the articles spoke well of all of them. I selected these 4 for the very reason you said...the digital display.

Next I checked the reviews on EHam reviews and all of them are well spoken of., with each having over a 5.8 out of 5 average review and each having over 50 reviews for the average.

Next I looked around QTH...I can look as a visitor but it won't let me register without a call sign) and everything there was either still above my budget or right at the top, so I went to EBay. I'm not too leery of EBay because there is the EBay satisfaction garuntee, which has saved my butt once before.

There wasn't a lot to choose from on those 4, but there was a few each. I picked one from each model and puit it on my watch list, AND sent each seller if (1) the radio was in working condition across all bands and (2) if there had been any upgrades to the radio. I did NOT bid on any...yet.

That depends on their answers to the questions AND on y'all's input. The auction end time on them is 2 day, 3 day, 4 day, and 5 day away, so I have some time. If y'all would take a look and tell me what you think I'd appreciate it. Here they are, in the order pof auction end time, soonest to latest. (I'm partial to the third due to the starting bid, but I may be wrong. Y'all tell me).

Kenwood TS820S Radio Transceiver | eBay

Kenwood TS 830s HF Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio HF Rig | eBay

Kenwood TS 520s Ham Radio Transceiver | eBay

Kenwood TS 530S HF Ham Radio Transceiver Microphone Straight Key | eBay

Thanks again guys!

OK...I've tried to register at QTH.com, but it seems they only like currently licensed Hams. Will not register me without a call sign.

gee, I dunno.
I went to QTH and it shows you as the NEWEST forum member.

I looked at the TOS and it just says you must be REGISTERED before you can log in.

did you get an email with a password?
try to LOG IN and see what happens.

gee, I dunno.
I went to QTH and it shows you as the NEWEST forum member.

I looked at the TOS and it just says you must be REGISTERED before you can log in.

did you get an email with a password?
try to LOG IN and see what happens.

Never got the confirmation email, so never clicked the confirmation link that should have been in the email, but just tried to log in and it let me using the passwored I selected while I was trying to register.

Checked my junk and spam folders as well...no email.

Never got the confirmation email, so never clicked the confirmation link that should have been in the email, but just tried to log in and it let me using the passwored I selected while I was trying to register.

Checked my junk and spam folders as well...no email.

Sounds like an Obamanation Administration Registration process to me.

Reactions: 3 people
I think you should start reading up on your antenna theory . Many of the best antennas are built not bought.This hobby doesn't have to be about who has the largest bank balance. A roll of copper wire and you can work the world if you have the knowledge. Sorry about the ambiguous answer.

A good source of info?

Also, how many antennas do I need to cover 160-10 meters? As mentioned earlier I already have an A99. And if I should get an antenna tuner, which one?

Radio question...how big a deal is it to not have a digital meter for tuning? I have the possibility of a Kenwood 520S for under $200.00. How hard is it to get on the right frequency with a dial tuner, and how much would it cost to add a digital tuner?

Geeze...so much to learn...

A good source of info?

Also, how many antennas do I need to cover 160-10 meters? As mentioned earlier I already have an A99. And if I should get an antenna tuner, which one?

Radio question...how big a deal is it to not have a digital meter for tuning? I have the possibility of a Kenwood 520S for under $200.00. How hard is it to get on the right frequency with a dial tuner, and how much would it cost to add a digital tuner?

Geeze...so much to learn...

Yes the RADIOFUN begins....Don't fret the Analog readout on the 520. As long as the rig is calibrated correctly and has not been "Screwdrivered" to death by some LID, it will be fine.
Do you know this person? I hope this is not an Ebay radio!...
Now as to antennas
GOOGLE is your friend remember :LOL:

Amateur Radio Antenna Projects

Read till your brain fries!

All the Best
Gary

PS: You can build your own tuner....Keep reading....till the Hard Drive fries!!! 73

Last edited:
I hope this is not an Ebay radio!...

Hi Gary...quick response. Thanks.

Yes, it is an EBay auction but its not be an EBay scammer I'm pretty sire as they don't know how to use Ebay. They have the title of the sale post so misnamed it doesn't even show up with searches for Kenwood, 520, 520S, ham radios, or any other reasonable search. They closest the seller gets is "consumer electronics". I'm pretty sure its a nephew or grandchild selling a recently deceased uincle or grandfather's Ham. I'd say the grandfather or whoever was pretty picky about taking care of his stuff...the radio comes in the original box and the pic looks like it just walked out of the store brand new.

The ad says it works, so if that is a lie I have the EBay satisfaction garuntee to fall back on if necessary.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.