• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best 10 meter mobile high power (legal power)

Why not get a "shack in the box" or "DC to Daylight" Ham radio. They are typically rated at 100 watts on HF and less on 6 meters & 2 meters/ 440. That way you can listen and talk all around when properly licensed.

You know you'll want to start an antenna farm, right?

Legal power on 10 meters depends on you ticket. Tech (200 watts max) or General/ Extra (1500 watts max)

Nice compact rig for the mobile:

Last edited:
Stay very far away from 10 meter cb's. The 857d is a nice radio, So is the IC 7100 by Icom. Remember the difference between 100 and 200 watts is 3db, or 1/2 a S unit.
Rich

A true HF rig is going to be better quality all around. Keep in mind they won't give you the AM performance that some people want out a galaxy, connex or the like.

This is not to start a debate on proper AM, hack job CB shops or anything like that. I'm just saying if you find a CBer with a hot rod "10 meter" export and trade him an icom for it he won't be happy until he sells it and buys 2 more exports. Right or wrong people want what they want.

Stay very far away from 10 meter cb's. The 857d is a nice radio, So is the IC 7100 by Icom. Remember the difference between 100 and 200 watts is 3db, or 1/2 a S unit.
Rich
I have an rci2970n4, I loved it...but it is junk. My Optima mklll, it's a little better then the rci Much better on ssb. I'm Going to Real rig to go with the Real tx.

Why not get a "shack in the box" or "DC to Daylight" Ham radio. They are typically rated at 100 watts on HF and less on 6 meters & 2 meters/ 440. That way you can listen and talk all around when properly licensed.

You know you'll want to start an antenna farm, right?

Legal power on 10 meters depends on you ticket. Tech (200 watts max) or General/ Extra (1500 watts max)

Nice compact rig for the mobile:

This does look nice, and is high on my list. Thank you.

A true HF rig is going to be better quality all around. Keep in mind they won't give you the AM performance that some people want out a galaxy, connex or the like.

This is not to start a debate on proper AM, hack job CB shops or anything like that. I'm just saying if you find a CBer with a hot rod "10 meter" export and trade him an icom for it he won't be happy until he sells it and buys 2 more exports. Right or wrong people want what they want.
I am into SSB the most...AM is kind of, just not for me.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Since legal power is 1500 watts I am guessing it will be difficult to find a mobile 10m rig with that kind of power. :p That being said WHY limit yourself to a glorified CB because that is exactly what those so-called 10m radios are. They are not designed for nor intended to be used on 10m as 99.999% of the population knows. The only use they are is to operate on CB or the freeband. Sure they will operate on the 10m band but their performance is no where near as good as a regular amateur radio. I have owned or currently do own Icoms, Kenwoods, and Yaesus and can attest even my Ranger 2950DX can't touch any of them for performance. that's why I use it to monitor for 10m FM openings and that's about it.

Reactions: Tallman
The 857d is a nice radio, So is the IC 7100 by Icom. Remember the difference between 100 and 200 watts is 3db, or 1/2 a S unit.
Rich
I have both of those radios and I can make contact anytime the bands are open. A collection of "Ham Sticks" and a good mount with quick connects for all of the ham sticks and you are good to go.
The HamSticks I bought six of them for less than $100.00 and I coverage from 6 meters all the way down to 80 meters. For the upper bands I have a Antron ADB-270 for two meters and 70 cm.
It will take me months to explore all these two radios have to offer. Digital sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudduckmobile
I prefer a 10m export radio in my mobile, as it is probably the cheapest way to do it. If you get a used export radio like a RCI-2950DX, then you have both 10m and 12m. Use with a small antenna tuner with a long whip antenna, and the solution is both inexpensive and effective. Works for me.

Reactions: Blackcat630
I am going with CK and Tallman on this one...
Why limit yourself to an export type radio (term: radio used loosely) when as a Tech all you have to operate is 10m and sub-par performance at that.
The Tech class license offers so much more. You have the advantage and privileges to use 6m SSB and FM/ 2m-All modes (SSB-FM) and 440 mHz all modes also while mobile.
Antennas are out there to give you so much more coverage and enjoyment.
I can work all bands mobile from 160-6 meters with my screwdriver antenna plus 6m/FM through 440 with the other (Diamond Tri-bander). I have worked 6m/2m SSB mobile also with the vertical...not the best antenna, but with good openings, I have been successful. I have worked well over 150 miles on 2m FM and little farther on SSB running around 100 watts. Granted these are good openings but it happens. I have worked several good openings this summer on 6m SSB mobile, and I think I have 6 or 7 different states running 100 watts.
The other advantage is you have all the other bands to listen to, which to most is enough push to continue upgrading and gain more privileges.
Yaesu makes a great little combination for mobile to go with the 857D and the FT891(new rig 160-6m) that is, the ATAS-120A screwdriver antenna. This little compact antenna gives coverage from 40m thru 440 mHz in a single package. I have seen reviews unfavorable to some op's, but speaking from my own experience; it is a damn nice little antenna, I had excellent results while running it for close to 2 years. I worked the world on that 100 watts. The only limitation is the antenna will only handle 125 watts. The big plus with the software built into the radio, you change bands and a touch of a button and the antenna Auto-tunes to that band.
There are also other screwdriver antennas that can produce excellent results also.
I have worked coast to coast on 75m's while mobile with 100 watts, takes good conditions but I do it every morning during my 1 hour commute.
Well enough said...Good Luck...Just do it you won't be sorry!
I look forward to working you soon!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

I figured you wanted to use USB on 10 meters and that is why I mentioned the name brand all-in-one transceivers. They are more expensive for many reasons. Stability is one main word that comes to mind.

From time to time I'll use an export radio on 10 meters and a few do work okay... but as mentioned previously, most of them don't. The local 10 meter group tends to use higher end HF rigs and they will be very quick to point out if there is any frequency deviation, bandwidth issue or warble in your signal when you run an export :oops: :LOL:

The later RCI 2950 series, Clear Channel 3300/3500 and Magnum 257/Optima series seem to be stable enough (after a warm up period) to get by on a budget, but again limit you to just a couple of bands. If that's all I had, I'd run them.

Any rig from the big three, Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood will get you where you want to be also. There are however some Chinese 10 meter multi-band radios coming on board such as the TYT TH-9800 PLUS Upgraded Version that is now FCC part 15 Type accepted. Down side is that it's FM only... for now. Just a matter of time before they come out with a low priced SSB model ;)

Get an older HF right, you know the kind with tubes! Learn how to tune it up and you will have a fan-damn-tastic rig. Something like a Kenwood or Yaesu hybrids.

An HF transceiver might cost more but they are worth it. If you look around and know how to negotiate you can find good gear inexpensively. My IC-7100 I paid $850.00 shipping included. It had a problem that many radios have. It was shutting down when keyed up. Brand new customer return never installed in a vehicle. Fixed it. The Yaesu FT-857D I bought for $768.00 shipping included. It was an open box clearance from a vendor. It is if you forgive the expression like 15 or more radios in one. I might have some spare equipment available soon.
I would not recommend buying a defective product unless you have test equipment and you know how to use it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.