• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best 10 meter mobile high power (legal power)

The more I look the more I like the FT450D, and the FT857D.
I like the tuner in the 450D, but the 857D look's to better rounded.
I found a place named: 2 Way-RadioExpress on flee bay, Then have the FT875D 100w out, with the YSK 857 kit for $879. or they have the FT875D High Power with the YSK 857 kit for $929. BUt then I need a tuner....I am trying to do this,new and no more then $1000. They also have the FT450D( w/tuner ) for $785.
Stay very far a way from clown in Greece. First there is no such thing as high power FT857. 2nd, you can beat his price here, in the USA.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=340&products_id=38079

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007098

https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...427+402737&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

Stay very far a way from clown in Greece. First there is no such thing as high power FT857. 2nd, you can beat his price here, in the USA.
Don't fall for the old CB Bs of high power. Buy your unit in the USA and use PayPal.
I have tried to buy items from private individuals but they would not take PayPal.
Never send the money for a purchase as a gift so they don't have to pay the PayPal fee for the transaction. You will have no recourse if they send you a bag of used "Kitty litter" because you sent the money as a gift. I bought a radio from one person on eBay and the radio was not as described and I got all of my money back. The seller did not even want the P.O.S. back so I still have it too. I use as a door stop in my radio room.

One place to get a good deal is from retailers that sell "Re-packaged" units from the manufacturers. Main Trading Company in Plano, Tx sells repacks. Check them out.

Last edited:
Don't fall for the old CB Bs of high power. Buy your unit in the USA and use PayPal.
I have tried to buy items from private individuals but they would not take PayPal.
Never send the money for a purchase as a gift so they don't have to pay the PayPal fee for the transaction. You will have no recourse if they send you a bag of used "Kitty litter" because you sent the money as a gift. I bought a radio from one person on eBay and the radio was not as described and I got all of my money back. The seller did not even want the P.O.S. back so I still have it too. I use as a door stop in my radio room.

One place to get a good deal is from retailers that sell "Re-packaged" units from the manufacturers. Main Trading Company in Plano, Tx sells repacks. Check them out.
HRO is in Plano. MTC is out in Paris. Great people, though!

Brett

Of the 2 radio's mentioned, I would go with the 450D.

The 857 is a good radio but for a mobile, the display screen is too small to read for me without putting on my reading glasses.
Yes, my eyes like big screen's as well. Another Big point for the FT450D.
Are you aware that the front panel detaches and you can mount it anywhere you want?
And this is a point I like about this rig.Could the ribbon cable on the ft450d face plate be replaced with a longer cable, the rig's front capped off and a mount made to remote the FT450D?

You shouldn't use a tuner for a mobile station. Mobile antennas suffer enough efficiency loss by design especially at lower frequencies.

Best to use a screwdriver antenna for multi band use or go with mono band whips and coil type antennas and tune them as close to resonance as possible without using a tuner.

Since these antennas are designed to be able to match up to 50 ohms when installed correctly, there shouldn't be much use for a tuner.

Having said that, I wouldn't let a radio with a built in tuner be a deciding factor.
I would buy antenna's for each band,used, and tune to best res. but would not the auto tuner "help" for around the edge's of the band? I know how a auto tuner works, and I know that "if your tuned you don't need on..." Why are there so menny tuners out there...? Folks just lazy with tuning a rig...? What is the philosophy behind the auto tuner?

Thank you I will.

I would buy antenna's for each band,used, and tune to best res. but would not the auto tuner "help" for around the edge's of the band? I know how a auto tuner works, and I know that "if your tuned you don't need on..." Why are there so menny tuners out there...? Folks just lazy with tuning a rig...? What is the philosophy behind the auto tuner?
I assume we are talking mobile radio's for mobile installs right?

I still recommend screwdriver antennas over having multi mono band antennas. Sure the up front cost may seem more, but when you compare the costs of having up to 7 ham-sticks or Hustler mono-banders, there really about the same for a lot of the screwdriver antennas. Isn't having 1 do all antenna better than having a bunch of other types?

Screwdriver antennas have the applicability of tuning all the bands within it's range manually with a in-cab rocker switch or automatically by the many auto controllers available on the market. This eliminates the need for any auto tuners.

Yes an auto-tuner could clean up the band edges that may be past a particular antennas bandwidth, that's good for your radio but does nothing for the already in-efficient mobile antenna and now just became even more in-efficient!

Tuners in general are very handy for base antennas especially when using multi-band antennas like the G5RV. This antenna will cover 10 thru 80 meters but it is really close to being resonant on 40 meters but it is somewhat close on the other bands so a tuner can be used to be sure the radio will output full power to what it sees as a 50 ohm load. There are many variations of this antenna which has made it more effective on other bands.

But always remember, your antenna isn't tuned with an antenna tuner.

A suggestion for an easy HF mobile setup as long as you don't plan on using an amplifier.

Take a look at the Yaesu 450D and the Yaesu ATAS120 screwdriver antenna. This is about as plug and play as it gets!

Just mount the antenna and the antenna motor power is automatically fed from the antennas coax. As you change bands or frequency, hit the tune button on the radio and the antenna automatically moves to the lowest resonant point. How easy is that?

You can use this antenna with the 857 also and use a shorter whip and cover the 2 meter/440 bands too.

It's too bad Yaesu didn't make a 500 watt version though. This antenna is only rated for 100 watt radios and covers the HF bands 10 thru 40 meters.

I prefer a 10m export radio in my mobile, as it is probably the cheapest way to do it. If you get a used export radio like a RCI-2950DX, then you have both 10m and 12m. Use with a small antenna tuner with a long whip antenna, and the solution is both inexpensive and effective. Works for me.

I'll agree with you to an extent. I already had an export when I got my ticket, and then used it on 10 meters. No issues or complaints whatsoever, although my rigs are tuned extremely moderate. I haven't played on 12 meters, but 10 was a blast when things were hopping about two to three years ago. Many compliments on my 257HP and a mag mount Wilson 5000. However, I look back on things and wish I had not spent my money on exports and cb amps, when I could have gone with better hf equipment. For a guy just starting out, I'd definitely recommend going with better quality equipment with much more flexibility in the long run. Better resale value, too.

Brett

Reactions: Tallman and 222DBFL
I assume we are talking mobile radio's for mobile installs right?

I still recommend screwdriver antennas over having multi mono band antennas. Sure the up front cost may seem more, but when you compare the costs of having up to 7 ham-sticks or Hustler mono-banders, there really about the same for a lot of the screwdriver antennas. Isn't having 1 do all antenna better than having a bunch of other types?

Screwdriver antennas have the applicability of tuning all the bands within it's range manually with a in-cab rocker switch or automatically by the many auto controllers available on the market. This eliminates the need for any auto tuners.

Yes an auto-tuner could clean up the band edges that may be past a particular antennas bandwidth, that's good for your radio but does nothing for the already in-efficient mobile antenna and now just became even more in-efficient!

Tuners in general are very handy for base antennas especially when using multi-band antennas like the G5RV. This antenna will cover 10 thru 80 meters but it is really close to being resonant on 40 meters but it is somewhat close on the other bands so a tuner can be used to be sure the radio will output full power to what it sees as a 50 ohm load. There are many variations of this antenna which has made it more effective on other bands.

But always remember, your antenna isn't tuned with an antenna tuner.
Yes antennas are tuned by the op. a tuner just tricks the radio into safety, so to say.

A suggestion for an easy HF mobile setup as long as you don't plan on using an amplifier.

Take a look at the Yaesu 450D and the Yaesu ATAS120 screwdriver antenna. This is about as plug and play as it gets!

Just mount the antenna and the antenna motor power is automatically fed from the antennas coax. As you change bands or frequency, hit the tune button on the radio and the antenna automatically moves to the lowest resonant point. How easy is that?

You can use this antenna with the 857 also and use a shorter whip and cover the 2 meter/440 bands too.

It's too bad Yaesu didn't make a 500 watt version though. This antenna is only rated for 100 watt radios and covers the HF bands 10 thru 40 meters.
So the 100w out put of the FT450D will not be tomuch for the ATAS120 ?
When I see 100w on an antenna, to me that saying don't put more then 75w into it.
I have always been a 75% max guy on equipment.

dxChat
Help Users