• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Radio for mobile dx

I can wait for get moremoney and buy a 2970n2 but what is better anyway a 2950 whit a amp or a 2970n2

the new 2970N2 has an improved receiver, and that pretty sweet new display

i have always preferred a radio/amp combo, so if for some reason the amp dies you can still run the radio barefoot but i may sell my 2970 i run as a base for that N2

on the other hand, if you wanted to put the "hammer" down and run an 8 pill, that 2970 n2 would make a nice driver! ;):LOL:

if you're not going to actually use the ham frequencies , aka have a ham license
id suggest a old school uniden grant or old school side mic cobra 148 , 146 , 138xlr and such . great am and ssb audio and great ears . if you want more power put a 2 pill or 4 pill AB biased amp behind it .

the RCI 29xx series is the best export currently made from what i can tell . put a 2018 xtreme mic on it (or any radio) if you want to easily add high quality echo .

if you're not going to actually use the ham frequencies , aka have a ham license
id suggest a old school uniden grant or old school side mic cobra 148 , 146 , 138xlr and such . great am and ssb audio and great ears . if you want more power put a 2 pill or 4 pill AB biased amp behind it .

the RCI 29xx series is the best export currently made from what i can tell . put a 2018 xtreme mic on it (or any radio) if you want to easily add high quality echo .

I bought one of those Extreme 2018 mics......I paid $50 for it new and it lasted about 2 weeks before it started malfunctioning.....first it started not keying up unless you pressed hard on the key up lever....then the echo delay knob went out...now it plain does not work....3 other cbers in my area had the exact same thing go wrong with their extreme 2018....no thanks.

at the start a 148 was my idea but em are hard for get em here whit 120 channels... what about the ss3900? how much power can a ss3900 whit custom addons? I am looking for a radio que can run the 27mhz fine powerfull for dx because will be for a truck I guess u dont need alot of power when u have a base antenna but when u have a simple wilson 2000 at a truck u will need more for do dxs

ss3900 is terrible on sideband, where most of your dx'ing is done. a uniden, emperor, summerkamp, etc 2510 s hard to beat for a excellent receiver and ssb stability. others like the rci 2950/2970 but they do have quite a bit of static or "white noise" that the cpu generates that will overpower weaker stations. a older cobra 148 covers all of the standard freeband that you will work and can usually be found for under $70 now that cb's have become less valuable the last few years.

I bought one of those Extreme 2018 mics......I paid $50 for it new and it lasted about 2 weeks before it started malfunctioning.....first it started not keying up unless you pressed hard on the key up lever....then the echo delay knob went out...now it plain does not work....3 other cbers in my area had the exact same thing go wrong with their extreme 2018....no thanks.

sorry you had a bad experience with yours . iv'e had mine for a few years and its held up just fine . i did put little robber O rings behind the dials to keep them from being so easily bumped out of place . i do wish they would make a base version because it does so well for me there too .

sorry you had a bad experience with yours . iv'e had mine for a few years and its held up just fine . i did put little robber O rings behind the dials to keep them from being so easily bumped out of place . i do wish they would make a base version because it does so well for me there too .

Yeah...when I first got it I really liked it.....it had a lot of efx......:sad:

the problem of get a older 148 is what here no have ppl for repair radios.. I like buy a new one for he work some years fine I think what I will get a 2970n2 brand new and keep the wilson 2000 get a nice ground but I still need help whit the coax cable what coax I need and lengh? :blushing:

the problem of get a older 148 is what here no have ppl for repair radios.. I like buy a new one for he work some years fine I think what I will get a 2970n2 brand new and keep the wilson 2000 get a nice ground but I still need help whit the coax cable what coax I need and lengh? :blushing:

Don't you already have coax running to the antenna? If it is not cracker cut or corroded anywhere, just keep it.

If not then,,,,,,,

The length is easy, just get however much you need to go from the radio to the antenna, the "magic" coax length is a bunch of hoo haa

The type of coax depends on the size opening you have on the 18 wheeler from inside to the outside.

RG8/RG213 is thicker coax and can be difficult running through the vehicle.

RG8X is smaller and easier to run.

Avoid rat shack, I myself have never had that good of luck with their coax.

Can you solder? Just buy a length of coax from where you get the radio, cut to length, solder on the PL-259s and your good. If you order it premade, run some string where you want to run the coax, and add maybe 2 feet just incase you measured wrong.

Where do you plan on buying the radio?

I got in late on this thread but here goes.

1) Shooting some DX has more to do with mother nature then the radio.

2) Your antenna is fine as long as you have a low SWR.

3) Get a decent,stable SSB radio. RCI 2950, Magnum S9,Delta Force, Omega Force, 257.

4) If possible on your truck get a nice B or AB 2 pill amplifier as well.

Ranger 3900 eghp is a stable radio if u are thinking of 3900. I have heard bad drift in Ss3900 unfortunetly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.