• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best ten meter ssb radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

If it was me and I want a 10 metre radio for the house I would buy a used HF rig. For mobile, straight 10 metres then I would do an Optima.
Is the optima still being made? Does anyone remember the price? I have been to they're website didn't see a price (may have overlooked it)

Here is my modern day favorite. Best bang for the buck.
at-6666-2.jpg

They were $180.00 up until recently. Pretty sure the price went up.

Reactions: XXX
If you passed your General class by now or you are still serious about it, think of the future and don't waste your money with the exports.

For around the same price of a new export or maybe a little more, You can find a good used HF radio like a Kenwood TS 450 or other ones similar.

New HF radios in that class sell for around $800. or less.

Spend the money once and get all the bands your current and hopefully soon to be license can operate on. Of course you should know some of the frequency limits on some bands with the General, but there is still plenty to operate on.

Good luck!

Reactions: Sonar
best2wayradio.com has them Bearcat.
Also survival-systems.com has them for $185 plus shipping. This is where I would look to first if you are planning on getting one. JMHO. There are other places to get them I am sure. A quick search yielded these 2 places. Of which survival-systems.com would be my first choice to get one from. This is the home of Yeti Comm LTD, a member here on the forum. And I know for a fact he has all the right equipment to tune and align a radio as well as the know how!!! Hope this helps and have a good one.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I am liking the Magnum 1 the more I look at it. Not sure how well they perform. I really like the 8 digit frequency counter with 1hz resolution. More like an HF radio and how all radios of this type should have. Not bad for the price point either considering that it's a CPU controlled radio and should be pretty stable on SSB. If I didn't have so many radios already, I know I've said that a bunch lately LOL! This is one I would not mind looking into some more and possibly buying. Anyone with one of these how do they perform on SSB and also 10 meters? Just curious and it could be another possible radio to tnink about as well. Thx for any and all responses. And to Bearcat, I have to agree with the others here. An HF radio like an Icom 7000 is one you can really grow into especially if you plan on upgrading your ticket. That or even something like the new yaseu FT891, FT450D, Icom 7200, Icom 7300 and so on. A UHF/VHF radio can be bought separately or get a radio with all of it built in like the Icom 7000. Yes it's more money. But you are getting way way more radio!! Even using one on 11 meters I have found them to be quite delightful and just sound better. Both receive and transmit. Maybe that is JMO. But I know with 100 watts and a good antenna like what I was using, (Sirio Vector 4K), if I could hear the person, I could make contact. I know it's not 10 meters, but the freqs are so close that if one band is dead the other most likely is as well, I.E., 10, 11 meters. Anyhow. Just some of my experiences with radios and like others have said, stop dumping money into the basically same radio with a different chassis and some bells and whistles attached and get s real HF radio designed for what you want to do. It is well worth the money when you think about how many $200-$400 export radios you may have bought or will buy trying to find one you really like, versus finding a good used HF radio new or used and spend the money once and really be happy. I am truly glad I got myself an HF radio, although used it works flawlessly and has since the day I got it. An Icom 746. Not the best radio out, but it's always on frequency and with just the stock HM12 mic and proper adjustments to compression and mic gain I get great reports all the time ask asked what radio and antenna I am using. Again, these are just my experiences and I am by no means an expert. I just know how much I spent on radios before getting one that stays on my desk all the time. Anyways. Good luck with your radio search and truly get a radio that will make you happy. Even if it means waiting a while longer! Save up and get the one that you can grow into. JMHO's. And have a good day Bearcat and to everyone else as well!!
73 and God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.