• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning LTD - keep on mothballs or sell?

Yapper

Dec 29, 2016
Hi All.

I have this terrible packrat habit that I'd like to break. It's getting expensive to move with these items but it's hard to part with some of them. The first excuse was that I might use it someday. That became save it for the kids.

So I dusted this old rig off, hooked it to an old mag-mount on a barbeque grill (which did NOT please my wife!) and got the curiosity out of my system. The radio still works on the original 23 channels but I could not figure out how to use the expanded channel mod.

Back in the late 70s, this radio was all the rage. I have a Turner M+3 mic on it but no battery for that. Is this worth keeping or should I just dump it for whatever I can get?

My 2 cents. If I buy something and don't use it in the course of a year I sell. Old radios that sit too long tend to need components, especially caps, replaced and that can get expensive. It's hard to part with the old vintage gear we grew up with but I rarely miss it once I have a new shiny toy to play with :)

s8vJcaz.jpg

Reactions: 2RT307
Wow, that is a cool, old ad!

Update: I got to fiddling with this thing again and figured out how to access the frequency mod. They put it in the PA switch. I can now get all 40 channels but still need a frequency counter as the "delta tune" know (which is actually the sideband "clarifier") also varies the frequency. It likes to skip a channel now and again but I can access them using the DT knob. What a mess but still fun! I followed a recipe on the net and built a battery for my Turner M+3 mic with 1.5v watch batteries and heat shrink tubing. It's all coming back to me now!

I have many an old radio and I miss the ones I have sold or gave away! I guess that is a sort of greed. For example I have four Hy-Gain 623s and sometimes I wonder why? My newest radio is an Anytone AT-6666 and just slightly older is the AT-5555 and I do not get the use out of them, the 5555 has not been used in three years.
But my old Stalker IX FM DX is going great and that one my be my keeper....

mechanic

Got a browning LTD but it was hacked for extra channels by others a long time ago. Big giant rotary switch on the bottom sticks out about and inch (n) I run it once and awhile for browning mobile radio night on Classic Radio Roundup.

mechanic, you do need backups for the backups, haha. I would love to have a Utopia if you ever decide to thin the heard :whistle:

Okay, this was fun but I'm back to thinking I want to sell it. I'm planning on another radio which will end up covering that band if I ever want to mess around with it again. I'm not going to use it in a car and I'm not going to use it in the house so it should go. Along with it I'll probably include the Telco Count 40 frequency counter because you just about need it to operate this thing!

So what do you think this bad boy is worth? I would first try and sell it all as a package - the LTD, the Turner M+3 mic and the frequency counter.

Thanks.

last one i bought was 250.00 it had everything golden eagle mic. external vfo. browning amp. and siltronics meter.

I've been trying to sell this on Ebay. I get well over 100 looks and several watchers each time I put it up but because I'm too cheap to pay the reserve fee, I put it up for the lowest I'm willing to take, which kind of kills the mood when it comes to bidding. I bundled it with the Turner mic, Telco freq counter, SWR meter and low pass filter and the start price (and probably finish price if I ever get a bidder) is $199. I might try one auction with a reserve but I hate when people message me asking what the reserve is. Just bid and find out! It's like they want to dip their toe in the water but not get it wet.

Thanks for the opinions on the value but the range of opinions goes from $30 to $250 so I guess I'll just keep trying and see what happens. The radio does work though and I received good signal reports back.

Still fun to blow the dust off this puppy and fire it up!

Best wishes and best of luck.
E-bay will give you good exposure.
Own so many older radios, at some point we just have to say stop.

Would love to have this radio, but sadly, it would have to be at half of what you are asking.

If I did not have so many..
Never seem to want to part with any of mine..

Love the idea of ownership.
The Browning LTD...

Makes me feel like buying a three speed on the tree 1967 Econoline (the pickup version) and mounting this radio below the dash.

Really, really wanting this radio..
But, the feeling will pass..

Heading to e-bay anyways..
Someone really needs to bid on this.

I just can not bring myself to the table..

It's no longer an auction. I made it a "buy it now or best offer" instead. If you consider the extras included, it IS about 1/2 the price!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.