• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Damage

aldaman

May 24, 2011
I was looking for a good place to mount my radio in my car. There is really no good place except on the dash. I was wondering if sitting in the dash during summer would hurt the radio from heat. If it does does anyone have any ideas to fix this.

what vehicle do you have ?

some folks mount them between the console and the seat or on the back of the console , in the glove box , on the side of the consoles where the controls for the stereo/heat/ac and such is or even in the console .

Depends on the radio. Keeping your radio out on the dash may actually improve heat dissipation, over keeping it in a cramped hole in your dash, or glovebox, or center console or something...

i just measured the tempurate in the sun on the dash with the windows cracked and it was 131 degrees. How how can these things get before its bad. I have a cobra 29 ltd

i just measured the tempurate in the sun on the dash with the windows cracked and it was 131 degrees. How how can these things get before its bad. I have a cobra 29 ltd

The vast majority of the internal components, if not all of them, are rated to at least 150C.. which is around 300F. I doubt you'll be seeing 300F in your car under any circumstance.

Of course when the radio is in operation, particularly when transmitting, it is better to be cooler, but you should be fine in most cases due to the fact that the temperature your car reaches sitting parked in the sun is more uncomfortable for a person than it is the electronics. Your car will not be that hot any time you are sitting in it operating.

I'd be more concerned with the radio becoming a flying projectile in an accident than the radio being destroyed by heat.

Pedestal mount?
Can be had cheap on epay

Pedestal%20Mount.JPG

Just wanted to echo chale's last response. Putting any radio on the dashboard sends a message to any would-be thieves. It says: "please take me - I'm right here!".

A pedestal mount or a sawtooth hump mount are great. I use the sawtooth mount. It is really cheap, it is angled up to the user (fixed angle - tho), and then I just throw a jacket over it before I lock up the car. The pedestal mount is better, because you can virtually point it an any angle and aren't that expensive either. That is the best option - IMO . . .

yeah the problem is there are bucket seats and there is no good place to put it in the center console, ill post a picture in a bit so you an see whats going on

yeah the problem is there are bucket seats and there is no good place to put it in the center console, ill post a picture in a bit so you an see whats going on
pedestal mount off the side of the console or mounted to the console....other thing i don't remember many mentioning is on the dashboard is inviting theives, you can see that sitting on the dash from a ways away

Here's the mounting of a Galaxy 48T in my Nissan Armada.

Attachments

• Radio mount from rear.jpg
    Radio mount from rear.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Radio mount from side view.jpg
    Radio mount from side view.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 70
i live in the desert, and out here, we keep our CB's out of the sun.

car temps here reach over 150*F in the summer, and the main problem is that the wax that manufacturers put around the VCO and other temp sensitive sections of the radio gets so hot that it melts off the PC board and drips onto the bottom cover.

once the wax is gone, the components that are supposed to be protected from temp variations are now susceptible to them.
remember that when a CB is right side up, the PC board is upside down.

i cant tell you how many times ive had to scrape off the wax from the bottom cover of a radio and re-melt it onto the PC board.

now, as to the severity of the freq drift caused by this, i really cant say because i dont expose my radios to that direct sunlight.

i am surprised that a cadillac doesnt provide a better mounting solution than the top of the dash.
arent they known for being big cars?

i will try to find some pics of that year model and see if i can come up with something.
LC

I would not want the radio sitting on the dash for several reasons, the heat is not going to help you and is not good for anything electronic, the radio just screams steal me sitting there, it could come loose in a crash, and what happens if the airbags go off? There are many better options.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.