• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cleaning aluminum antennas

tuner

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of restoring an aluminum antenna. I have read about different methods of cleaning them. The one method I'm curious about is using an SOS pad. I read that it is not recommended as the particles can get imbedded in the aluminum. What problem does this cause? Does it really affect the operation of the element ? Any feed back would be great ,

Thanks , Tuner

I used regular fine steel wool for a couple decades without a problem before I heard people screaming not to use it etc. It always worked for me. The finer the better. No real need to clean everything just the lieces that overlap. Aluminum starts forming an oxide layer milliseconds after exposure to air anyway. That oxide layer actually helps keep the underlying metal in good shape. Cleaning everything will not make it work better, just look better.Some people use a plastic scouring pad ........you know the ones eith a yellow sponge on one side and a green rough pad on the other.

IMO, making the metal to metal contact areas of antennas is the most important areas to get clean. I use Pentrox or a similar conductive type lub before assembly. This makes dismantling easier. Also if you use sheet metal screws make sure the filings are well remvoed and the holes are smooth. Star type lock washers are also good to use at contact points.

I don't recommend steel wool either Tuner, because small filings can remain behind and cause rust and make assembly and dismantling difficult for tight fitting aluminum tubing. Sanding can also be a problem in this regard...so either way...just be sure the tubing is really cleaned well in the contact areas.

Always do such work outside and/or in a well ventilated area.

I use fine Scotch-Brite for a lot of things.
Use a small wire brush and medium grit sandpaper to clean the inside of the tube joint where it mates to another tube. Fine/medium steel wool can give ya some nasty splinters sometimes; but it works too . . .

Reactions: hotrod and tuner
While using the aluminum brightener it is best to start low and work up.. In other words if starting high the drips/runoff can stain the untouched metal if the cleaner is too strong.

In concentrated form it will turn aluminum milky white.

Do a little test area first.

You can dilute it with water.

Reactions: tuner
You could get away with steel wool. Lots if people use it and I have too, but the reason not to is contamination and rust. Same reason you are supposed to clean aluminum with a stainless wire brush before welding.

I wouldn't over think it too much. Clean up the joints that need to make an electrical connection with something less abrasive than a grinder or sandpaper and assemble it. I like to use noalox at each connection but everyone has their preference.

Reactions: tuner
To clean the inside of the mating end of an aluminum tube, I use a gun bore cleaning brush. Available in many diameters. Does a great job.
mBxZJfxlUEloVOCYWVjl-ig.jpg

citrus.jpeg This, and 0000 steel wool. Makes it so bright and shiny. And, beside smelling good, it leaves behind a very light oil on the aluminum that helps offset sticking joints and corrosion.
BTW, FYI, there is nothing on the market superior to this air freshener for removing sticker glue from glass, painted surfaces, etc. This beats goof-off and other similar products. The nice part of it is it does not harm paint finishes on your projects. I've even used it on my automobile body to remove road tar.
We at The Home Depot buy it from our own shelf to use for cleaning sticker glue (beam cheese) daily. We've tried every other product we sell to the public for this purpose and nothing works as well.

Last edited:
Mariconi posted:
"Always do such work outside and/or in a well ventilated area."

I can not say how important this statement is, do NOT expose yourself to the resulting dust from the cleaning operation.

Thanks for posting that Eddie.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N
Mariconi posted:
"Always do such work outside and/or in a well ventilated area."

I can not say how important this statement is, do NOT expose yourself to the resulting dust from the cleaning operation.

Thanks for posting that Eddie.

Jeff
a wet SOS pad should be alright in keeping the dust to a minimum right ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.