• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 gtl 1992

That is not a transformer, it is a choke. And no flow thru it means it shouldn't make any sound whatsoever without a load. Did you look at the schematic yet?

Did you check the on/off switch for 13v yet?
I tested the tranfomer on dc has zero readings on ac i get 0.167 volts

Does your power supply give you a sporadic reading? After all; that is what the choke is seeing - the same thing.

Do you know how to trace voltage from the power supply to the switch and to pin 2 on the voltage reg with a DVM? Point to point to point. Whatever is coming from the power supply, it should be consistent throughout those points.

Last edited:
he said the radio has been setting for a while now. did it work before it was left setting. if so I would be leaning more to bad solder joints or bad capacitors since the radio is as old as it is. yesterday I pulled a super star 121 off the shelf that was working before I put it up there and it was not working when I pulled it off the shelf. found some bad solder joints around the audio IC that had gone cold.after a few minutes of reheating them the radio is back to working now.

Reactions: Robb
he said the radio has been setting for a while now. did it work before it was left setting. if so I would be leaning more to bad solder joints or bad capacitors since the radio is as old as it is. yesterday I pulled a super star 121 off the shelf that was working before I put it up there and it was not working when I pulled it off the shelf. found some bad solder joints around the audio IC that had gone cold.after a few minutes of reheating them the radio is back to working now.
I did recap the radio with the correct replacements I used Panasonic high grade caps, still get the same results.

d44 was my issue, working on getting the am,ssb power back and audio back.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.