• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 LTD Classic Service cost?

seagiant

Feb 4, 2017
Hi,
I have an older Cobra 25 LTD Classic.

It works but has a channel light out.

It's probably long over due for a clean resto, tune and peak.

Looking at getting a Uniden Grant XL so I have SSB.

Wondering if it is feasable money wise to send in the Cobra and get it fixed for a back up or sale it for parts, ect?

The Cobra seems to have a good rep?

Just looking for ideas on this???

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore

the 25 is a good radio. if you can replace the LED your self it will only cost you about 8.00 to your house. then just your time to put it in. if you send it out you will have shipping both ways then the price to pay to have what you want done. I personally would fix it and get you a ssb radio as you want.
just me.

Hi,
Thanks Gentlemen!

The question in my mind is, how much money spent before you are better off just buying a new CB?

I'm looking for an older model Uniden, admittedly but only because of the feedback I have seen in performance and build quality, and SSB!

One of my other hobbies is 70's stereo, but I'm no Electronics Tech, but found a gifted individual for that.

Unfortunatly he does not work on CB's!

Hi,
I'm not totally unfamilar with a soldering iron, but...

I'm up to my eyeballs already with other projects.

I was hoping to get more detailed $$$ info on repairs here, but everyone seems as lost as I am???

Or does not want to discuss $$$ which I understand I guess?

I might make some phone calls and see where I am at on this?

Thanks!

hard to give you a price since it varies from location to location., here in Oklahoma it is 40.00 to install the led's and 30.00 for a peak and tune. this is just this location as stated price's vary a lot.

Price will vary depending on your location and whether or not there is a competent person with all the of the necessary equipment to do the work correctly. The cost of one of the those radios these days that is in used working condition is most likely about $30-$60 at most.
I am not saying not to get it reworked and fixed, but it will cost as much or more than the radio is worth is what others are trying to tell you. If you have a good local tech, and he knows you, maybe not, but otherwise, look into another radio and just use the Cobra 25 the way it is. JMHO's about that.
And there is the fact you can
buy a brand new AM/SSB CB radio for about $110. The uniden 980. While It may not show the same power as your Cobra 25, that is unless both are stock then there won't be much difference at all, the uniden 980 has SSB that is dead on frequency out of the box, and is rock solid as far as drift goes. And the audio is clean and clear.
There are techs that can be recommended. Doug's Custom CB, Bell's CB, Key CB, Mike's Radio Repair, and some others. But you might want to call one and see what the cost would be to have what you want done and make your decision based on that. No one can tell you not to do it. If you like the radio that much then a price ilinit may not be in place, otherwise, it would be better to either fix it yourself or to leave it be. JMHO's. Hope this helps. Sonoma gave you a price that is pretty close for most CB shops. That doesn't include shipping either. Again, do as you will as it's your radio. But there are other options too.
Good day and God Bless.

Hi,
Thanks Gentlemen!

222, that is what I was looking for!

Thanks for the info, I think the radio is still working...

I need a new antenna, to try it.

While I have you guys...

Can anyone reccommend an affordable SWR meter?

I see the older Heath-kits, and Midlands that are around $20?

Will those be better than trying to use the meter on the radio to tune???

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it!!!

Oh yea, I am looking for a clean Uniden Grant XL!

if you are looking at a clean grant XL do not rule out a grant LT. both are nice radios. I have one XL and 2 LT's. I like the LT the best and it has lights around the controls which makes it nice at night. do not get in a hurry and watch close and you can find them cheap at times. a few months ago I bought a grant LT new in the box for 65.00 shipped. not a every day item price but they are out there if you just wait.

Okay. As far as tuning the radio, you don't want to do with the antenna. You would want a 50ohm dummy load. A 25 watt one would work, but I would recommmend getting a 100 watt one as to have plenty of headroom for the future. As for a VSWR/Power meter, the Diawa CN101L is a pretty good meter. That or one of the old radio shack meters as well. If you have a radio shack near you they may have one. Or try eBay. Just get a decent one. It's worth the extra money. The Diawa meter would be the one I would really look at. Yes more expensive. But worth it IMO. Anyhow, if you can give more info as to what you are looking for as far as antennas go, mobile or base and how much you want to spend, you can most likely get a good response to that as well. Hope this helps. Good day.

Hi,
Hmmm...I heard the Grant LT was not as good as the Grant XL?

Something to do with CHINA I guess?

I saw the Diawa SWR meters on E-Bay but they are a little pricey?

I'll look again!

The Antenna I came up with is a Sirio from Italy.

I want to use a magnet base on the roof of my pick-up.

Amazon product ASIN B0075S141E

Hi,
Thanks Sonoma!

I heard the Grant LX was better because it was made in the Philippines and the LT wasn't??? (I assumed CHINA?)

I'll do some more research!!!

What about a tuned and peaked new Galaxy DX-959???

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.