• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 LTD Classic Service cost?

Hi,
Looks good, I guess you want to run some decent cable straight to the battery for that Amp!!!

Still can't make up my mind on which radio to go with?

Is there any other modern presently made SSB type Cb's I should look at or is Uniden about it?

I think the uniden, and galaxy are about it for new cb's. There are several exports that have more options. There is the Yeticom optima mk3, RCI 2950DX, Stryker 955HP, and many others. It really depends on your preference, and intended use.
For a sideband rig, the 980 is hard to beat, especially when paired with a small amp. Heck, for $250 you could buy a 980, an antenna, coax and a meter.

Hi,
Thanks 338!

I appreciate you answering my noob questions!

I admit I like the older type radios, up to the point of having a Grant "recapped" and gone through by a good Tech!

There are a couple of Grants that are supposedly "peaked and tuned" on E-bay but I'm hesitant to roll the dice!

I was hoping someone here might have something and have put a want ad in here on this Forum but haven't heard anything?

Thanks again!

Hi,
Well I just got this SWR Meter!

Like I said I like RETRO!

The seller says it's in excellent condition and works?

Looks like a good one, more than I wanted to pay, but it looks like even "junk" is $30!

Go figure!

Attachments

• wwwwwww.jpg
    wwwwwww.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 11
A Uniden 980 new will cost you the same as a roll of the dice Grant XL/ Cobra148 GTL (side mic) If you can find a nice XL/148 and you like old school it might be worth it, but you are taking a chance. The "peaked and tuned" XL/148 - to me - only means somebody has had their hands in it and you don't have a clue what they might have done. The 980/XL/148 will (should) all be 4 watts AM, 12 watts SSB. I don't believe it when they tell me they will swing to 30 watts (and it doesn't matter).
4/12 watts is more than enough to start feeding a CB amp - output is not the concern - RECEIVE is.

So let's just say a stock 980/XL/148 can give you what you need for transmit, the odds are that the 998 will be the safest bet that you will spend ~125 bucks and not have to futz around with any unexpected issues.

Radio -> Amp - >Antenna
We have talked about the first and the last is another discussion.
A radio into a KL-203 (output adjusted appropriately) will give you 80 watts very easily and does not require a whole lot of additional expense with regard to wiring. Up one level is a 2 transistor "pill" amp. This will bring you up to the 120-250 watt range and will require a little greater expense w/ regard to wiring and, if applicable, grounding and antenna. The hole goes deeper of course, but for starters the radio is the foundation and any of the above are suitable, it's just a preference as to how much a risj you want to take and how much you want to spend. "BIG Radios" are often wasted later downstream.

EDIT - corrected 998 to 980. Not sure what was on my brain

Last edited:
A Uniden 998 new will cost you the same as a roll of the dice Grant XL/ Cobra148 GTL (side mic) If you can find a nice XL/148 and you like old school it might be worth it, but you are taking a chance. The "peaked and tuned" XL/148 - to me - only means somebody has had their hands in it and you don't have a clue what they might have done. The 998/XL/148 will (should) all be 4 watts AM, 12 watts SSB. I don't believe it when they tell me they will swing to 30 watts (and it doesn't matter).
4/12 watts is more than enough to start feeding a CB amp - output is not the concern - RECEIVE is.

So let's just say a stock 998/XL/148 can give you what you need for transmit, the odds are that the 998 will be the safest bet that you will spend ~125 bucks and not have to futz around with any unexpected issues.

Radio -> Amp - >Antenna
We have talked about the first and the last is another discussion.
A radio into a KL-203 (output adjusted appropriately) will give you 80 watts very easily and does not require a whole lot of additional expense with regard to wiring. Up one level is a 2 transistor "pill" amp. This will bring you up to the 120-250 watt range and will require a little greater expense w/ regard to wiring and, if applicable, grounding and antenna. The hole goes deeper of course, but for starters the radio is the foundation and any of the above are suitable, it's just a preference as to how much a risj you want to take and how much you want to spend. "BIG Radios" are often wasted later downstream.
With apologies; no.
You can buy a new 980 for $110/shipped!

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Yes the Sirio performer 5000 is a good antenna. One of the best mobile antennas I have used. Get the PL145 magnet mount with it and you'll have a good antenna setup. As for the radio, the 980 is a good one. I recommended it based off the one I have and use. Like said, leave it stock. Have the modulation turned up and leave the SSB power alone. Grab a different mic if wanted. Try the radio and antenna first. Properly setup I have spoken out to about 25-30 miles with 8-10 watts on SSB. This was back to a base station, but none the less the radio did its job. As far as an amp goes, the KL203P works well with the 980 if you have the dead key on AM turned down to about 2 watts. Pep of 6-8 watts is good for AM use and 10-12 watts is good for SSB use for the KL203P. This will get you near 100 watts, which should be plenty for what you need. If possibly mount the antenna permanently. Breedlove makes a nice mount that works well with the Sirio 5000 antenna. Yes they are expensive, but worth every penny. Hard mount the antenna and it will work at its best. Magnet mounting it is normally a temp thing. You'll need to keep the magnet mount maintained. Keep moisture out and also make sure the coax doesn't get pinched or crushed. You don't have to worry about this with a hard mount. Just some food for thought. Good luck with whatever you choose. Shop around and make sure it's what you want before you buy. JMHO's. Good day.

Reactions: seagiant
Hi,
Thanks Gentlemen!!!

A LOT of good info there!

Robb, I would be interested where you can get that price at?

It is lower than what I have seen!

Yes the E-Bay route for a Grant LX is full of chance and danger!

I have had my ears clipped back before on some 70's stereo equipment!

People out there have a LOT of "cajones" trying to make money and misrepresenting items for sale!

Admittedly, one of the things pushing me to the 980!!!

Hi,
Well I just checked out Amazon (they know me!)

And they have it for $108!

Man, they must be selling these like hotcakes!!!

How hard is it to add the amp?

I guess you have to also go in and drop the amps!

I think I'm getting turned to the Dark Side!

Heck, I'm going to buy one now. I didn't care for it when it came out because of the lack of frequency expansion. That won't matter for several more years because there just isn't enough dx to need to go above 27.4050. It even has variable talkback...

Hi,
Well....I could buy it for $108 and use it stock to get used to it some.

Then pull it have the amp (KL203) an then send it to a good Tech to put the amp on and maybe a few other things.

This would break the $$$ expenditure down some!

I saw the vid on it a Bell's CB and he said the stock mic wasn't that bad....

Even though others say a power mic is better?

Just sayin!

What is your sideband experience? I assume from your posts that it is little to none. Try the 980 and see what you think. Add an amp later if you feel the need. If nothing else, you wil have a good reference radio to monitor that grant xl you are wanting.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.