• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 st transmitt

How do you go about fixing the drift on the galaxy radios? I just really like the way them radios look.

No fix as far as I know. It's just the way they are made. I am not a tech and one would be better suited to explain as to why they are like they are. I just know from experience that they do have a tendency to drift especially on SSB. Like I said, the other radios I posted are much better suited for SSB use. The Galaxy radios do well on AM, but IMO just drift around too much for proper SSB use. Some may disagree, but if you listen on SSB long enough you can about pick them out! The best route for SSB radio is one of the ones I mentioned or go with an HF radio. But it's all about how much you are looking to spend. This is why I recommended the uniden 980. You don't need to do anything to them, other than to keep an eye on the temps or add a small fan to the rear of the radio. Much easier then messing with a Galaxy radio. JMO. The mods I did was just my personal preference and I didn't have to add a fan. But adding one isn't hard and will keep the radio cool. Member Grogan I believe added one to his and has been pretty hapy with it as far as memory serves me. Just keep the rag chewing to a minimum and you should be fine. They do come out of the box dead on frequency and don't drift I do know just much. I care more about being on frequency than having a pretty radio. I own an optima mk3, a simple radio, but one that rocks on SSB. Unfortunately they aren't made anymore and can be hard to find as most that buy them don't sell them too often due to them being a good radio. But like I said, I've owned a uniden 989 since they about first came out and it still is going strong. Heat will kill any radio. Just keeping an eye on this will help a bunch. Again, JMHO's and my own experience with the one I own. I ended up just biting the bullet and went with an HF radio for SSB use as that is what they are made for. If you look around you can find some for a good price. Something like a kenwood ts50s, or even a used yaseu ft450. But they aren't really great on AM. Tney xsn be made to sound good on AM. But shine on SSB as like I said, that is what they are made for. Good luck with whatever you decide and good luck with the Wilson antenna. They did have some QC issues. But I think they have cleaned up their act. Be safe and have a good one.

Thank yki once again for sticking with me. I see your point. The uniden price is a nice feature for sure. I would eventually like to get my ham technician license, and mount a mobile. Is the stryker that you mentioned going to fit that bill well? I see that it is also a 10m radio. Isn't that for ham use only?

Nope. Can be converted for 11m use very easily. The Stryker 955 that is. If you are planning on getting your license you may want to look into an HF radio and skip all the other stuff. Yes it's more money, but you'll be set for when you do get your license. Also if you are going this route, I would really look at the uniden 980 as it's FCC type approved for CB use. And then save up your money and get a good HF radio. I won't tell you which HF radio to get just yet as there are just too many options. And all of us have our own opinions as to what radios are good as far as they go. But the Stryker 955 is an export radio that is nothing more than a glorified CB radio in a 10-12 meter class. It can be converted to be used on 11 meters easily. But I would recommend getting this radio from a reputable tech and have the conversion done as well as an alignment and tune. This way you know the radio will be right when you get it. I recommend Doug's Custom CB's, Key Cb Shop, Mikes Radio repair, and a couple of other techs. Be wary of who you choose as there are many that claim to be good, but are nothing more than hacks that just want to sell you stuff you don't need! That is JMHO. Like I have been saying the uniden 980 is a good radio for the price and you won't find another in the same price range that will have both AM and SSB modes. These are JMO's and like others we all have them. Don't know why no one else has posted about this. But I can tell you there are several export radios that will work well but cost 3-4 times what the uniden 980 does. Yes they do more stuff, but you have to make your own mind up as to what you truly want and will be happy with. Read and search the forum about some of the radios I posted about and you can get a decent idea of what is good and what is junk. Hope this truly helps and do your homework before you buy as to not waste your time and money. Also get the best antenna you can afford as it's the most important part of your setup besides the radio. A 1k radio and a cheap antenna won't do any good. And that is a matter of fact and not opinion. Have a good one. Like I said, do some research on radios and antennas as well as coax and surge arrester and also grounding system for your entire radio base station. Good luck and if you need more help don't be afraid to ask. I am no expert and don't claim to be, just going my own experiences.
73 and God Bless
Sean.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I know I keep saying it, but I truly do. You keep saying praise of the 980, and it looks to be a nice one. Do you think it would match up nice with my Texas Star dx100 amp? Will that amp work for SSb?

Unless your Texas star dx100 is biased for SSB use it's not going to fair too well. You need at least a bias B amp. Something like the Texas Star dx350, or the TNT 350hd. You might get away with using it on SSB if you keep the input drive low, but it may or sound good even with this done as the amp doesn't have a delay for SSB from what I can tell. They are more an AM amp then anything. And still need low DEAD key and and also pep input to keep the signal clean. You can get a radio like the RCI 2970 which will do over 100 watts and will work well on SSB. Or even the Stryker 955. It does about 70 watts on SSB I believe, which with a good antenna setup should be plenty of power.
The only issue is that the DX cycle is coming or has pretty much come to an end for a couple of years. You will have more local chatter than anything if you even have locals to talk with. There will be days that you get DX, don't get me wrong, but it won't be like it was a couple years ago. Without the conditions you can have a 1000 watt amp and still not make many if any contacts due to there being no conditions for DX. Just some food for thought. This is why many people get their amateur radio license around this time to utilize the other bands that still have DX conditions. But you'll need at least your General ticket for that. If 11 meters is dead, you can pretty well count on 10 meters being the same way. And with VHF/UHF, you'll have to use repeaters most of the time to make contacts beyond the horizon. Just some food for thought. Not trying to discourage you, but you are getting into the game at the last inning basically with 2 outs and 2 strikes against you. About the best way I can put it. Like I said there will be some stateside activity, but even it will be sporadic. And unless you have some locals to talk to you may find yourself listening for all day without hearing anyone. My radio has been on since this morning at 12:30am and I have yet to hear anything. I just unplugged it a few minutes ago as it's just so quiet. These are some things you want to take into consideration before spending a bunch on a radio and such. That is another reason I keep speaking of the uniden 980 as it's not an expensive radio and you won't lose much if you don't like how conditions are. Can't beat Mother Nature. That is for sure. Like I said, hopefully some others will post some comments as well so you don't think I am just pulling your chain!! It's just that it's the wrong time to get into DX'ing. JMHO's. Hope I don't discourage you, but just want you to know what you are up against before you drop a bunch of cash on a radio and not be able to make many contacts. Again, this is just the way I feel and hate to see someone spend up a bunch only to be disappointed when you don't hear many people on the air.

Reactions: Coondog27
No discourage at all. I have a local to talk to about 60 miles away I guess of you call that local. I agree with you that I wouldn't want to spend a lot and then talk little. Thank you once again.

You didn't mention if you were installing in a pickup, tractor, etc.
You can have all the radios and amps in the world but if you don't have the antenna system right your not going to be happy and it won't perform right. There are thousands of post of guys who spent lots of money to try to get there radio to "get out" with a magnet mount on their tool box.
The radio is 50 ohms, use a 50 ohm coax and as stated do not use a dual phased coax (75 ohm) with just one antenna.
The meters in radios are famous for the needle sticking and not working when people leave them out in the barn and the changes in humidity and the fact that when people "peak and tune" they never align the meter.
If you are lucky and can get one of the radio shack swr meters that's all you will need. There are lots of videos on the tube to using one.
Good luck.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this one will be mounted in my pickup truck. Mag mount Wilson 1000 on the roof in center.

Reactions: 222DBFL
No worries man. Just want you to be aware of all the things that need to be taken into consideration before you start dropping a bunch of money. And 60 miles is pretty far for a small mobile setup. I get that far with a Sirio vector 4000 base setup and about 50-100 watts of power from my Icom 746, and can do it with my mobile setup as well, but with the mobile it takes some power. 3-400 watts. Sometimes more if the conditions aren't that great and even not at all at times. But 2FB327 is correct, and it's the same thing I said, your antenna system is key to making or breaking your entire system. Some power helps, but not if it's not making it all to the antenna. The magnet mount Wilson 1000 will be a hard press to get 60 miles out even on SSB. You may or may not achieve this. Just want you to understand this so you aren't upset if you can't make it that far. JMHO.

I see, I appreciate it. I have some pretty decent open hills where I am at. I can pick him up decent with my current set up, so he must be pushing some good power, guess I never asked. All in all, if I can reach our decent, that will be good. Also, I hooked up my Texas Star, got a guy two miles away through the trees. He was crystal clear, I am thinking he us pushing some watt too?

2 miles isn't that far. With my uniden 980 on SSB with the power tuned back to about 8 watts pep, using a Sirio 5000 on an E350 Ford work van I am able to talk out to about 30-35 miles. This is to a base station that has a 3 element beam and he is using an Icom 746 pro. Like said. A proper antenna setup and you will be able to make the trip. Not always, but it's not out of the question. A lot has to do with conditions and how crowded the band is as well. At night when it's quiet you may find that it's easier to reach your local at 60 miles versus the day. Or vise versa. It's all about how well your antenna is setup and also how Mother Nature is acting. You will see what I mean. For now just focus on getting your antenna setup the best it can be. This may also require you to do some bonding of the vehicles body panels, exhaust, engine and so forth using some braided ground straps. They make one for your encaustic system. You need to take all the ground straps to the frame. Read up on bonding of vehicle body panels. Lots of info here on this forum about the subject. Good luck with everything and be safe!! Hope I helped some as I am no expert, but have learned a lot just asking questions like you and reading a lot! Getting my learn on inhiess you could call it. Have a good one and keep it clean and mean!!

Sorry for some of the misspelling. Damn auto correct gets me every time!! Need to proof read my posts a little better LOL!! At any rate, you get the point I am making. Like said, a good antenna system is key to making or breaking your entire radio system. Many skimp out in this area and it ends up costing them in the end.

Sorry for some of the misspelling. Damn auto correct gets me every time!! Need to proof read my posts a little better LOL!! At any rate, you get the point I am making. Like said, a good antenna system is key to making or breaking your entire radio system. Many skimp out in this area and it ends up costing them in the end.

Don't worry, I could figure it out as I do the same. Hopefully my Wilson shows up soon. I'm getting pretty amped up to try it out and make a few contacts. I can hear a guy from Jamaica yesterday came in really clear. Pretty dang neat.

Jamaica was skip coming in. As 222 said it's all about conditions.
If you and your contact can get up on a hill

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.