• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 st transmitt

and get on a quiet channel you'll be surprised. You can hear 2-3 times as you can transmit as a general rule. I drive a truck at night for a living and run in the same direction every night and with the few remaining professionals we use the elevation whenever possible.

Here is a site that will help you find out what the conditions are like on HF bands. If 10 meter band has good conditions, chances are 11 meters will as well. The web site is called

http://www.hamqsl.com/solar3.html

Hope this helps. Copy and paste this site into your browser and go.

Also 11 meter propagation is on Facebook. Here is a link to that as well.

https://m.facebook.com/11MeterRadioPropagation/

Reactions: Coondog27
Just do a google search for 11 meter DX conditions or propagation. That is how I came across these 2 sites was with a quick search. There are many more sites like this, i just picked 2 random ones.

Reactions: Coondog27
Just out of curiosity, would I be able to run the uniden 980 with my Texas Star amp? I was a little confused if there would be too many watts going in, and if the amp did SSb mode.

Yes you can run the 980 into the amp you have but I would really sigggest at the least turning the AM power down so that your dead key on AM is at 2 watts. It's very easy to do. And also you will want to turn the modulation up as well. This wlll need to be done on most any radio you get. If you have a tech near you or someone that you know that can do this for you I highly suggest it. But as I said before your amp doesn't have SSB mode switch which is a relay and a resistor to keep the amp keyed between words on SSB. You will sound choppy if you don't have this as your amp will key and I key between every word you speak. An alternative to this is to get an RM Italy KL203P. They aren't an expensive amp and will work on SSB fine with the radio stock. It again, you'll need to tune the AM Power back to about 2 watts or less of dead key and turn the modulation up to about 100% as well to get a 1:4 power ratio. this would mean if you are dead keying on AM, or keying up the radio on AM you'll see 1-2 watts on an external watt meter and about 4-8 watts of pep power. You can also have SSB power tuned back to about 8 watts on SSB as well as to keep the radio cool. But you need some other things to do all this. A 50 ohm dummy load and a decent true peak reading watt meter. Not the antenna!! Best thins to do is to take it to a pro that does it for a living. But as far as using your Texas Star amp the 100 watt one, is there is no AM/SSB switch on the front then it's probably not going to sound very good on SSB. Like I said you need other parts inside the amp for it to work properly on SSB that aren't needed on AM.

Only other options are to get a radio like an RCI 2950 or 2970, Stryker 955, magnum 1,
Anytone 6666 or other export radio and have it converted to be used on 27mhz or the 11 meter band.

But either way you'll need a tech to do this. And don't use just any truck stop tech as most of them don't know what they are doing and will leave you with an expensive paper weight for a radio. JMHO's. Like I said before describe your amp and take a couple of pics of it and let the amp pros here explain whether or not you can use the 980 out of the box for use on both AM and SSB modes. Again, JMHO's.

No worries man. If I can help I surely will!! Just paying things forward!! Hope it helps.
BTW, where are you located if you don't mind me asking. Just curious is all. If you don't want to let anyone know, by all means that is fine!! I can i understand totallly!!
Have a good day, I am about to head home and buckle down my house for the hurricane that may hit my area which is Daytona Beach, FL! Man I hope my antenna makes it!! It's well guyed, but I still worry!!

Central Minnesota is my general location. Good luck with that hurricane. We just deal with three feet of snow in the winter. I'll take that over hurricane any day!

Reactions: 222DBFL
Has anyone run the refurbished uniden 980's? I don't want to sound too cheap, but just on a budget and I don't want to sink a huge amount in.

Back again with another question. With my amp (Texas Star dx100) I get a swr of 1.9 on ch 40 And a 2 on ch1. Is this pretty high? Antenna is bottomed out when swr is above 2 on ch 1 and 40.

You have an issue somewhere. Antenna not tuned correctly or the amp has an input/output mismatch. Either way you can try a different length jumper as a band aid or send it off to a good tech and let them tune the input if that is the issue. What is the VSWR without the amp inline?? And the impedance and reactance as well. Any one of the above being bad will cause an issue. But it's hard to see that with just one part of the equation, that most of the time being just the VSWR. Like a said you can try a longer jumper or a shorter one and see what you get for VSWR. It also depends on the antenna as well and all parts that are associated with it. Coax, connectors, and other things as well. Lots of variables. But sounds like a input/output issue with the amp. Like I said. Try checking the VSWR with the amp out of line.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.