• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 450XL Palomar Magnum 4500

Hello everyone great thread. I have a question about the Palomar 4500. I bought the one with 4 - 2SC2290. What is a good deadkey to start with on the linear on AM? Running on ssb, do I just hook it up and switch to ssb/cw? What kinda watts should I be looking for?

Thank you in advance for any info!

if i recall correctly i think 2290s are 80 watt devices at 27 MHZ .
ill suggest 80 -100 watts DK and swing to about 320-350 if you wnat to be sure youre clean and want it to last .

Here is what the Palomar TX 5200 insides look like these amplifiers have the band selector onfront I have to dig mine out and give it a whirl on the other bands one of these days I dont know of anyone who has used one on the other bands or nor do I even know anyone who has had one of these things. I know mine works on 10 and 11 meters

Palomar TX5200 for sale pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots

I really enjoyed my Magnum 6000.

Magnum6000front.jpg

Magnum6000inside.jpg

Magnum6000rear.jpg

Class AB-1, 4 x 2SC-2879, active Bias, 5 pole Chebyshev LP filter, intenal jumpers for low, medium, and high drive, independent pre-amp, wrap around heatsink, common ground (not floating), Flame proof resistors, excellent input and output SWR, etc. I added a keying circuit for ham or modded CB radios (left side on rear view, bottom left on internal view) so no SSB chatter and no delay when unkeyed and I added a fan (I have been called a bucket mouth!).

A good friend talked me out of it and he loves it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.