• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89xlr

Could be wrong Ben; but I think loosecannon's concern is for your safety. You are messing inside a AC to DC circuit, and he is right for warning you unless you really know what you are doing. Best to heed that advice!

Reactions: LeapFrog
Thank so for the concern but I'm been working with electricity for a long time

Robb has shown you the area to examine.
View attachment 20303Congrats, you traced thru the power supply. VR201/variable resistor on that same ac/dc power supply board will adjust the voltage output to the radio board. You will want to adjust VR201 with a voltmeter to read 13.8v. at the radio board. You can check the voltage output either on the emitter of transistor TR201; or where that wire goes to the radio board.

View attachment 20302

Good Luck, stay safe, and best regards.

Where are you testing the + voltage at?
Where is the - lead of your voltmeter connected?

Right out of the bridge rectifier, you should see about 20v. Look/click on at that schematic I posted earlier, as it shows the voltages. You may have a bad xformer if you don't see 20v. You might have shorted caps in there too. It might also be one of the zener diodes or one of the transistors. Going to have to test them all wherever the voltage falls off from what the schematic calls out for.

Power supplies like this one are fairly simple. Conquer it; I can see that you are no quitter. BUT be very careful of the AC side - don't even bother to test that side - please! 22vac is coming out of the xformer and going into the bridge rectifier, so there should be a 1.6v drop down to 20v. After that, the rest of the voltages are on the schematic.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.