• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89xlr

If you still seeing a change of voltage even though the voltage isn't correct; then chances are that VR is still working.

I'd check the caps.
BTW - how many volts out of the large filter cap?

I have the right voltage going into the voltage reg but not the right voltage coming out. What else could cause this even changing the voltage reg no difference?

I have 23.** volts at Emitter or TR201 also, the VR barely changes anything half a volt worth of adjustment (new caps on board) One of the diodes or a regulator must be out, as Robb said this power supply is fairly simple.

I am not going to power this radio off of 23 volts, I just got it to modulate properly after replacing several blown transistors and a total recap.

I have the right voltage going into the voltage reg but not the right voltage coming out. What else could cause this even changing the voltage reg no difference?
A blown zener diode, I think.... But check for brown spots under r201.
D206 "WZ071" (Equivalent NTE138A) 7.5 v Zener @ 1watt
or
D205 "BZ162" (Equivalent NTE5075A) 16v Zener @ 1watt

I'm starting a list of materials to rebuild the power supply.

R201= 220 Ohm 1/2w
R202= 1.2k Ohm
R203= 820 Ohm
R204= 680 Ohm
R205= 820 Ohm
VR201 =
TR=2sc945/bc458
TR=
TR=
D205=BZ162
D206=WZ071

Last edited:
View attachment 20303Congrats, you traced thru the power supply. VR201/variable resistor on that same ac/dc power supply board will adjust the voltage output to the radio board. You will want to adjust VR201 with a voltmeter to read 13.8v. at the radio board. You can check the voltage output either on the emitter of transistor TR201; or where that wire goes to the radio board.

View attachment 20302
Could I sub NTE152 (or TIP31C) for both parts at TR201 (C1061) & TR202 (C1419)
Stress is getting the better of me... sigh

Last edited:
Also test the large resistor on the regulator board to see if it is in spec - just for good measure. You can also upgrade the zeners to a 1 watt instead of the OEM 1/4w if you want to make it a bit more bulletproof.

I found the oem c1061 had failed, a tip31c fixed the issue also the 220 Ohm resistor was reading 30 kOhm, after replacement the power supply works good. Also the 1.2k ohm resistor had failed. (replaced also)

Reactions: Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.