• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Condenser mic on a cobra 29

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
years ago I ran a good mic on a 148 but had to use phantom power to run the mic...any good mics that don't need phantom power ? Or is a good mic just a waste to sound a bit better due to all the filtering in 29's?

RF limited 2018 extreme. Turn the echo all the way down. They use a 9v battery. No phantom power needed and they are normally 4 pin cobra wired. And they have noise reduction as well that works well for mobile use as well as base use. Here is the one I have. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    855.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    859.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
RF limited 2018 extreme. Turn the echo all the way down. They use a 9v battery. No phantom power needed and they are normally 4 pin cobra wired. And they have noise reduction as well that works well for mobile use as well as base use. Here is the one I have. Hope this helps.
Nice mic...I have used this one and I loved it in the mobile!

I'm sure the shure mic will sound better, but I know the 208 extreme mics aren't bad for what they are. I just don't care for the echo. Easy fix, turn the VR pot down all the way. Anyhow, keep us updated as to what you do. You have me curious now as well. Have a good one and have fun. That is what it's all about!! And have a Good evening.

Reactions: Bearcat
I'm sure the shure mic will sound better, but I know the 208 extreme mics aren't bad for what they are. I just don't care for the echo. Easy fix, turn the VR pot down all the way. Anyhow, keep us updated as to what you do. You have me curious now as well. Have a good one and have fun. That is what it's all about!! And have a Good evening.
What I want to do is use the shure mic and the art tube pre-amp and maybe art compression or just a eq...now I don't know how much sound will get through on a modified 29 but I have heard a shire mic and part tube pre amp and it has a very nice rich tone to it...I'm trying to improve my sound without over the top rack gear...I have also messed around with a behringer 802 through a 148 it was ok at best.. If all this doesn't work I will pull out a turner +3 and be good. I just like allways trying to sound very clean and clear

Reactions: 222DBFL
This microphone works great on a Cobra 29.
FB_IMG_1450368742688_zpskwkcfj6i.jpg

DSCN5715_zpshwqrarth.jpg

Reactions: 222DBFL and Bearcat
I've used the RF limited 2018 extreme on a cobra 29 and it sounds good. No echo. Just the power mic side of it. Worked great. I think some has to do with the way your voice sounds. Or maybe that is all in my head.

Ok a good condenser mic does not have to cost much and you can get them in hand mic format with PTT built in. All the garbage caps in the signal path is what ruins the input audio on a stock CB. If you are direct injecting you bypassing most of that but still using the stock modulator ic. You have a lot of options on condensor's. A good tube preamp will have -48V phantom power built into it and should give you the choice or balanced line XLR's and a few other choices. Their are also plenty of wireless units that have built battery supply so you do not need be plugged in. They also make very tiny -48V phantom power supplies that are basically "audio bypass" like a guitar pedal with true bypass the signal goes through them with out any active or passive components in the signal path they just provide the power. I really do not want to tell you what to use. Compared to the Dynamic elements we all grew up with on CB almost any condenser type element will be far flatter and more sensitive than anything that came stock on a CB!! You could even just add a condenser element to a stock mic and see an improvement. I put condenser on my power mic's if I do not like the sound or the old ceramic or crystal element has gone bad.

You might consider an eq if you are direct injecting a tube mic preamp and eq even with out compression, phase correction or downward expansion can sound really really good!

Reactions: Bearcat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.