• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Davis Derringer DM-22- 22 Mag ( Chrome )

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Starting to begin research on this piece I bought years ago for a pocket rocket as a medicine for angry dogs. I was wondering if anyone has info stored on their computer they could share such as tear down & parts list. As normal I have 1 barrel that sometimes doesn't fire the first time so was thinking maybe I would take the firing pin mechanism apart to see if there is a burr , weak spring or other faulty part I could replace to make it more dependable when the chips are down. Being not blessed with good manual dexterity for small parts it would be nice to see what's ahead before I start the process. I thought one time of turning it into a Belt Buckle, but it is lighter weight than some of my other Pocket Rockets and I happen to like the 22 Mag cartridge ! Have at it. LOL

1697973626447.png

The progression of the sale of the company went Davis, then Cobra then Bearman. All are based off the original Remington Derringer. Hope this helps a bit. Be careful lightening the trigger. The overly heavy trigger provides safety. As you already know the piece was designed for across the card table use. Hand to attacking dog is a good distance. They can shoot minute of dog and confrontation distance. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Kinda a similar subject. If you ever run across an old single shot shot gun, garage sale, family, gunsmith special for 20.00, with a bent or damaged end of barrel, but will still lock up tight- pick it up. Cut the barrel down to 20 inches, Square the end up with a good file and you have a handy rodent eraser.

Reactions: whiteastro
View attachment 65931
The progression of the sale of the company went Davis, then Cobra then Bearman. All are based off the original Remington Derringer. Hope this helps a bit. Be careful lightening the trigger. The overly heavy trigger provides safety. As you already know the piece was designed for across the card table use. Hand to attacking dog is a good distance. They can shoot minute of dog and confrontation distance. Best of luck.
Thanks for the Pic and help. I don't know about lightening the trigger pull I was thinking more like pulling out the firing pin assembly to check for burrs around the firing pin hole and increasing tension on the springs that drives the pin forward. Like all cheap products ( Quality Control ) in production suffers. With a feeble caliber like 22 mag it is definitely a last ditch,point blank effort to save yourself. ( In the mouth )

I once stuck my fist in a German shepherds mouth and held him by the back of the head to change his mind about biting me. ( Adrenalin ) Crazy what a man can do when under attack.

Kinda a similar subject. If you ever run across an old single shot shot gun, garage sale, family, gunsmith special for 20.00, with a bent or damaged end of barrel, but will still lock up tight- pick it up. Cut the barrel down to 20 inches, Square the end up with a good file and you have a handy rodent eraser.
I have a good 16 gauge double barrel that looks like a good piece for that project. Thanks

I have to admit I am fond of the 32 S&W Long. I have a 6 shot old H&R revolver. I had a gunsmith bob the hammer so it will fit in a pocket without snagging. My father carries a 32 H&R Magnum Davis Derringer at times. His Davis 32 Mag is over 25 years old with no issues.

I must admit I haven't studied the 32 caliber cartridges very much but do have a little Kel Tec 32 ACP with no safeties or hammers to engage. 6 in the clip and 1 in the pipe, just pull it out and squeeze the trigger. Also have a North American Arms 5 shot 22 Mag Side Winder Mini Revolver that fits the pocket nicely. But still like the looks of the old Derringer, guess I'm just a Old Romantic ! LOL

His Davis 32 Mag is over 25 years old with no issues.
They claim center fire cartridges are more dependable than rim fire but the only rim fire I ever had problem with is that Davis derringer. ( Quality of Build or cheap ) That's why I think some TLC is in order, either that or make it into a nice Belt Buckle ! LOL

My family collects guns. I have the nostalgia thing going on too just like the old radios. I find it fascinating the skill and craftsmanship that went into making the oldies, even the cheapies. They all have a a story. My Ex-Father in law bought an FIE 22 LR Derringer in New Orleans before he left for Vietnam. I has trimmed the trigger spring to make it a hair trigger and it stayed in his pocket the duration of his tour. The FIEs 22 LR are supposed to be cheapest out there.

Reactions: whiteastro
I've a little High Standard .22 mag. I haven't had any issues with it, although it hasn't been fired hardly at all. Just a protection piece. Well, I guess it's my wife's as she keeps reminding me, bought it for her when we were dating. Anyway, a small but deadly derringer.
As the saying goes, I'd rather be missed with a .44 than hit with a .22.

I've a little High Standard .22 mag. I haven't had any issues with it, although it hasn't been fired hardly at all. Just a protection piece. Well, I guess it's my wife's as she keeps reminding me, bought it for her when we were dating. Anyway, a small but deadly derringer.
As the saying goes, I'd rather be missed with a .44 than hit with a .22.
Take the wife out for shooting practice and put it thru a 50 round box. better to be safe than sorry. Than clean it and feel sure it will perform when the chips are down. Nothing worse than a misfire at the critical moment. A plane old 22 has killed if the shot is placed in the right spot. I'll have to look up the piece your talking about just to see the variation.

Reactions: secret squirrel
Take the wife out for shooting practice and put it thru a 50 round box. better to be safe than sorry. Than clean it and feel sure it will perform when the chips are down. Nothing worse than a misfire at the critical moment. A plane old 22 has killed if the shot is placed in the right spot. I'll have to look up the piece your talking about just to see the variation.
We've shot it enough to know it's reliable. I like the .22 Magnum round, small but packs a pretty good punch. The High Standards are now pretty rare, and it's smaller than the Davis if I remember right. She has the Ruger LCP now with the factory laser, .380. A little more juice, and a dot to put on target...we're getting up in age and need all the advantage we can get.

This one is not mine, but representative. They made a nice little wallet type holster for them as well, which are even rarer, which we also have. We have the blued one with the black grips.

11743501_01_high_standard_dm_101_22_mag_de_640.jpg
wm_5066042.jpg

We've shot it enough to know it's reliable. I like the .22 Magnum round, small but packs a pretty good punch. The High Standards are now pretty rare, and it's smaller than the Davis if I remember right. She has the Ruger LCP now with the factory laser, .380. A little more juice, and a dot to put on target...we're getting up in age and need all the advantage we can get.

This one is not mine, but representative. They made a nice little wallet type holster for them as well, which are even rarer, which we also have. We have the blued one with the black grips.

View attachment 65975View attachment 65976
Looked it up and seen some good videos on it. sounds reliable. I alternate between my KelTec 32 ACP & my North American Arms Sidewinder 22Mag for dog medicine depending on the situation. And for Travel carry in predator ( Human ) country I go for the Glock 23 Gen. 5 for medicine.

We got a little off topic, sorry, but does the Davis need to be cocked for every shot or is it double action type?

From this attachment it looks like the Davis has 2 firing pins in it as opposed to the rotating firing pin in the High Standard. Different designs, looks as if the Davis has less parts too, meaning less to look for when the dropsies happen.

Reactions: secret squirrel

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.