• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole noise level

I have the twin feed line I just do use it as I can't figure out how to run it threw the wall into my shack. Being that I'm just renting, a piece of pvc stuffed threw the wall is out. I've ran three coax cables threw the walk already. It going to be hard to hide that being that the outside of the horse is brick. I'm tempted to run it threw the window just to give it a try and see if it makes any difference.

BTW, with the set up you have and the power lines and such I dont understand how your so lucky with the noise. Is your dipole straight holizontal or in a sideways V shape?

Tonight the guy next door came by and said he heard me threw his suround sound system. Wow! When it rains it pours. I'm temped to just hang up the radios. Man, why me!

Getting parallel feed line into the house isn't really that hard, especially if you happen to be near a window. I've used a board of the right dimensions placed in the bottom of a window, holes drilled in it in the right spacings to fit that parallel line through, glued it in place with 'hot-glue'. Sure, you get an impedance 'bump' right there, but it doesn't make any significant difference. It's lasted for a very long time. I think MFJ makes such a thingy now in various sizes/shapes/feed-throughs. My board still works just fine.
- 'Doc

(Don't throw that window screen away, you'll have'ta put it back when you leave.)

Tonight the guy next door came by and said he heard me threw his suround sound system

Tell him that means your radio is working properly :) :) Seriously though, a couple of .01uf ceramic disc capacitors across the speaker terminals will probably cure it.

Tell him that means your radio is working properly :) :) Seriously though, a couple of .01uf ceramic disc capacitors across the speaker terminals will probably cure it.

Correct. In about 99.999% of the cases the operator is fine and it is the junk on the receiving end that is at fault. Unfortunately some people think that just because they spent several thousand dollars on a soumnd system that it can't possibly be at fault but those people are wrong. They fail to notice the little part 15 sticker on the product.

Moleculo: I hadn't heard of that before with the small cap. I'd be willing to go over and put those in for him. If it really works. Wow, that would be an easy fix.

Captain Kilowatt: I agree with you its his problem but I'm the newbee on the block and the last thing I want to do is make an enemy. I'll work with him and try to fix this problem. I'm thinking if I had to I could move my mast to the other side of the house sense its between our houses right now.

W5LZ: Your idea of getting the twin feedline in the house window is a good one but my problem is the windows in this place are like what you would find in a trailer house. Unlock and crank the handle and they open from the sides. Who the hell puts windows like this in a house anyway.:headbang

There's a 'way around' those kind of windows if you're going to be there a while, but it isn't exactly cheap. No, don't break one! But replace one of the window panes with a plexiglass sheet. The typical 'plexiglass' sheets around here are only maybe 1/8" thick, and that's just a bit too thin. Oh well, if it were easy it wouldn't be any 'fun'! :)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.