• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipoles in general

Yeah the 5/8 wave already has a loading coil in the base and it is hard to predict what the voltages across it may be when operated on other bands with external loading coils. If it were me I would put up a single vertical as long as I could get it, lay some radials on the ground or just under the sod, and use a single loading coil at the base with taps for each band.

Is the loading coil in that base determine the power it can handle or what and if so Channing it to a 10ga or 8ga bring up that capability as well as the thickness make it better in being a bit more broadbanded? Speaking single band and multiband?

I am not the smartest cookie in the jar but I do have wondering thoughts on things and nothing like asking if you don't you'll never learn ever.

Is the loading coil in that base determine the power it can handle

Yes. The size of the wire will affect power handling, and the dimension of the coil can affect bandwidth. However, the lower you go on HF, you need significant changes in wire size and coil dimensions to make it more broadbanded - to the point where it becomes impractical.

You might look at a something like a Buddipole. It has taps on the coil, is pretty easy to adjust, and when given some height can work pretty well for what it is.

Yes. The size of the wire will affect power handling, and the dimension of the coil can affect bandwidth. However, the lower you go on HF, you need significant changes in wire size and coil dimensions to make it more broadbanded - to the point where it becomes impractical.

You might look at a something like a Buddipole. It has taps on the coil, is pretty easy to adjust, and when given some height can work pretty well for what it is.

Got a site on more details on a Buddipole?

Here you go. http://www.buddipole.com/
I have been buying buddipole parts for awhile now. Good quality stuff.If you are looking for 11 metre only then I would go with the versa-tee and 2 long whips. If you think you may get your ticket then the basic one is great as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.