• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DOES THE RCI 2970DX PERFORM WELL ?

"I think it all depends who tunes them"

i agree %100 .
a good tech can take a good radio and make it a great gadio .
a bad tech can take a great radio and make it a POS .
a radio thats a POS to start with aint got much hope . but DTB was/is a miracle worker with the cobra 150/200 series .

I have a 2950DX, and it's one of the best radios I've ever owned. Strong on AM/FM/SSB, and drift-free. I did mod the clarifier, did a tune-up, and modded it to cover 21.000-29.699 MHZ so I could listen to 15 meters. I'm sure a 2970DX can't be much different from my 2950, outside of the extra power, so there's my opinion.

Have a Merry Christmas!

-Exit

I have a 2950DX, and it's one of the best radios I've ever owned. Strong on AM/FM/SSB, and drift-free. I did mod the clarifier, did a tune-up, and modded it to cover 21.000-29.699 MHZ so I could listen to 15 meters. I'm sure a 2970DX can't be much different from my 2950, outside of the extra power, so there's my opinion.
Have a Merry Christmas!
-Exit

Hey guy, that's a new one on me. Can you give us a link to this 15 meter mod? That would be great.

And will they transmit there, even if the power is reduced? Some of us RCI users are Generals and Extras ya know
128fs318181.gif
Thanks!!!

interview.gif

Wow, the new 2970N2, 200W, is only $359.95 at that site that people love to hate for some reason. That site that is made from the metal that pennys are plated with. That's a right purdy price
hexer.gif

interview.gif

2950/2970DX 15 meter mod

Hiya Wire Weasel!

While there probably is a link on how to do this mod, I actually discovered this one on my own, on my old 2950DX (the bi-polar transistor version). Here's how you do it.

Remove the bottom cover and turn the radio so the front of the radio is facing away from you, upside down. If you look where the CPU is at, you'll notice 4 pins in a square configuration, right above the place where you plug in the "key" for the channel expansion (see photo, sorry for the grainy pic). Place a jumper on the RIGHT set of pins. Turn on the radio, and it should pop up at 21.000 MHZ. Also, if you play around with the + and - split feature on the radio you can go as low as 18.6 MHZ and as high as 36 MHZ. But this mod alone will get you 21.000 MHZ to 29.699.9 MHZ continuous coverage. It will also transmit in all modes at reduced power at 21.000 MHZ, I checked it on a dummy load.

Enjoy!

-Exit

mod1.jpg

Picture145.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Hey Thanks E13,

Any idea if that is available on the older 2950's? That is what I currently have. TNX !!

interview.gif

Wire Weasel,

I played around with the old 2950 (non DX version) quite a bit when I had one, but I was never able to get down that far in the band. Unless someone else has a mod for the old 2950's, I don't think a person can mod the old ones to go to 15 meters. :(

Sorry about that.

-Exit

I have run 2970's for over 30 years.I think it all depends who tunes them.I've never had a problem with drift.For years,ran an older 2970 in a Jeep Wrangler with a 102" whip.Many people thought I was running a base unit.The last 2970Dx I ran came from Bob's CB schack.This was the latest version with the small heat sink and the fans.Came with the SP-1a speech processor.This has to be the best 2970 I've ever run.It was the best talking and ran the coolest out of any radio I've ever run.Been thinking about the newest 2970N2 with the SP-1a.This could be my next radio.Merry Christmas.
73 Paul
I am still using your old 2970dx here Paul, it's still working "great"

2950dx and 2970dx is the only radio's that I have right now, which is 7. I like them very much, no drifting and easy to align.

Paul...hurry up and get one of them NEW 2970's, so you can offer me your now 2970dx....

2970Dx

Hi Larry,
Thinking very seriously about getting one.If I do,it will come from Bob's CB in Central Pa.This one I have now really smokes.I can't believe how cool it runs.If I still have this one I'll let you know.Have a great New Year.
73 Paul

well iam also watching a 2970 on ebay at present considering making a bid i already have a couple of 2950 dxs and a galaxy dx 95 t but i like the ranger very easy to operate on ssb

I really miss my old 2970, it was a talker. I talked all over the US in the mobile on that thing. The family took a trip to Mt. Rushmore a few years ago and that thing was a chatterbox all on the east coast. I got many a good report on that thing. You won't go wrong with that rig!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.