• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DTB Radio purchase very disappointing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Dave can have a bad day or make a mistake. It is how this gets handled that matters to me the most. I have no problem giving him glowing reviews if he handles this like a pro on a timely basis. It is just when you are up front with your expectations and get the opposite you have to ask yourself WTF?

Again, how did he have a bad day or make a mistake if he took a new radio out of the box, tuned it up and shipped it out?

So was this a new purchase or did you buy a used radio he had that was for sale? If it was a new radio purchase I don't see what your mad at. DTB goes to the stock room, gets a brand new 2970 from RCI, tunes it up and ships it to you. Now your not happy with him?? I don't see what he did wrong I guess.

Not mad, goes like this: Ask for the radio to be inspected for cosmetic condition prior to shipping. Vendor goes to stock room pulls out new unit to tune and notes that it is not in good cosmetic condition. Knows customer wants unit in good cosmetic condition, goes through stock and finds one that meets this particular customers requested expectations. If does not have unit that meets customers expectations, emails customer and refunds purchase prior to shipment. By the way, I have purchased many times from Bell's CB with this particular request and they find a new unit that fits my expectations and tune and ship it (really they do, they actually pick out the nicest one for me because I asked). I just wanted to give Dave a try based on the recommendations on this forum. To be fair, I will most likely just request a refund as I do not want Dave to have to eat shipping another unit back to me, and I know I am not paying shipping twice, since I will already pay for return shipping. I am sure his margins are tight as a small business, and I don't want him to lose money in the deal....

Here is the comment on my original order: "I am very picky about my equipment, so please ship me a nice scratch and mar free unit". Seems I was clear of what my expectations are! It is not Dave's fault for the cosmetic condition of this unit, but it is his fault for shipping what would not meet my expectations.

My best hope it just to ship unit back to Dave, receive a speedy refund, so that I can report here that Dave stepped up and took care of me without having to jump through any hoops or having to have Paypal resolve this because that is my only recourse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
How is this person being too "picky"? Someone saves their hard earned money to buy a new radio. They get all excited when it arrives and pull it out of the box WHOA! I just spent 500$$$ and this "new" radio is all banged up.

To top it off, he goes to his favorite CB forum to talk about it and only gets acused of stuff. What a bunch of BS!
Really guys?????

How is this person being too "picky"? Someone saves their hard earned money to buy a new radio. They get all excited when it arrives and pull it out of the box WHOA! I just spent 500$$$ and this "new" radio is all banged up.

To top it off, he goes to his favorite CB forum to talk about it and only gets acused of stuff. What a bunch of BS!
Really guys?????

Yep, that is exactly how it went! Opened box with great expectations and wanted to hook up tonight, and then totally deflated when I had seen what I got. The key to your comment is that this is a $500.00, thats A FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR radio and not a $150.00 truck stop special. But then I know Dave has his fans here, and I am sure he has earned them, but in my case expectations had not been met. That does not mean that Dave does not usually do better, but then in my case he did drop the ball. But then maybe Dave is Dave and my kind of expectations are not something he is use to meeting, and if that is so then OK and I will just receive a refund and move on with no hard feelings. It always service after the sale and coming to a resolution when there is a problem that is the true test of customer service and integrity in business. I have no doubt that you guys have positive feelings about Dave for good reason. Everyone gets to drop the ball once in a while!

Last edited:
Instead, you come romping in here stepping on Dave's nuts in a public way. I would have waited to see how he responded before going tits up.

If you read, really read my posts, you will see I have every expectation if you guys are right about Dave that he will handle this in a professional and speedy manor. Quote: "I have no doubt that you guys have positive feelings about Dave for good reason. Everyone gets to drop the ball once in a while"! Quote: "But then I know Dave has his fans here, and I am sure he has earned them." Quote: "Even Dave can have a bad day or make a mistake". Does not sound like flaming to me! As far as public, once he handles this as I expect he will, he will get great feedback from me in that others can trust Dave in their purchases and that he is a stand up guy. But then I have noted many posts on this forum flaming other vendors, you guys just happen to love this one. Forums are about posting both the good and the bad, and letting the chips fall where they land. If I wanted to flame Dave I would have, but I am not, just telling a story about my particular purchasing experience that may be helpful to others before they lay out their hard earned cash. Its that freedom of speech thing. No you guys are not Obama, the IRS and the NSA and you don't get to control freedom of speech. Don't be shy, raise your hand if you voted for Obama! I'm sensing a few Obama zombies on here....

Last edited:
If he tells you to bug off, let us know because that might be interesting.

Its 2013, "bug off" does not work when Paypal and credit card companies are involved...its kind of a legal thing don't ya know when one bills through Paypal to a credit card company. Once disputed with Paypal, the funds become not available to the seller until the dispute is resolved. Notify Paypal and your credit card company of the disputed purchase and all is good. So "bug off" does not concern me at all. But trust me I got the gist of your post as what you really meant by that snide comment....

Last edited:
I really read your posts. I have some questions. Why would anyone need to inspect a brand new radio so closely for cosmetic flaws? It sounded as if you were purchasing a used radio not brand new. That sends up red flags. If you ARE that picky that a brand new item needs such a thorough inspection, then maybe you should buy in person and not mail order. If there is major damage that would be noticeable when he performed a tune, than sure, he should have caught it. But from how you describe the you take such care to inspect every brand new radio you buy, than I doubt the damage you are describing is going to be so apparent to every one else. I can't say for certain, without seeing this damage for myself. Maybe you could post pictures of this damage. .

And I agree that you should have at least waited to see how the seller responds before unloading publically. That is premature. If/when he refunds your money and you update your posts, most people will only remember the damaging comments not the retraction. But if there are so many cosmetic flaws on a brand new radio, maybe your issue should be with RCI. Remember, Dave didn't build the radio.

Reactions: 4 people

Really guys?????
This is an open form with everyone free to express their opinion. The OP had every right to post his or her feelings and did so. Where the issue is although again perfectly within their rights this was the OP first post on this forum and it was a complaint about a vendor. That can rub people the wrong way.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with the others that said the proper thing would have been to take it up with the vendor before bringing it to an open forum. It almost seems as if you have a axe to grind for some reason seeing that this is your first and only posts here. I cannot in any way, shape, or form, see why a new radio would be in anything less than pristine condition and as such there would be no reason to request such a radio regardless how picky a person is. I am very picky about the condition of my gear as well and have NEVER felt the need to request special consideration when buying a new piece of gear. Even my 30 year old Kenwood TS-820S still looks like it just came out of the box. The meter scale was sun faded slightly such that the red line was more orange. I bought a new meter to replace it. That's how picky I am.

attachment.php

This is an open form with everyone free to express their opinion. The OP had every right to post his or her feelings and did so. Where the issue is although again perfectly within their rights this was the OP first post on this forum and it was a complaint about a vendor. That can rub people the wrong way.

Yes he does. But that also gives the right for people to express their opinions as to whether he jumped the gun by attacking him. A vendor should, at the very least, be given the opportunity to make things right.

I can't side with him or Dave because I can't see the extent of what is being considered damage. The OP IS sounding a little overly critical. Imagine expecting Walmart to open up every item to inspect it. I have purchased a gun from a dealer, got it home, opened the box to find it damaged. I didn't start cursing them. I brought it back and they gave me an option to get a new replacement or a discount on the damaged model. I took the new replacement. But without seeing the radio, none of us can say for certain how noticeable it is. Maybe the blemishes ARE noticeable and maybe they aren't. If DTB does nothing and was in the wrong, by all means, fire away.

A vendor should, at the very least, be given the opportunity to make things right.

And that is what I stated from the beginning, and I will make a follow up post on how this is all handled.

As far as your gun dealer example, I am sure you would not have been pleased if it was going to cost you an additional $40.00 (the cost of freight and insurance to return this item to DTB) to receive that new replacement.

But this is not Walmart and will involve additional charges such as me eating return freight and additional wait time. I would recommend though that when a vendor has a section for order comments on his website, that he reads those when fulfilling the order so that situation like this do not occur. If he is unable to fulfill those requests, it would be best to just be upfront if he feels the purchaser is too "picky" and not accept the order. I will admit my standards are high in regard to my hobby purchases, but at the same time I will say that most vendors that I hand select have met those standards. That is why I always make it clear to the vendor up front that I am "picky" about my new product purchases so that they have the opportunity to back out. Nor did I ever say this unit was beat to hell. Just too many marks mars and scratches for a new product. 3/4" scratch along back edge of radio down to metal, dime size missing paint at front of amplifier right below faceplate that was touched up with something that whatever it is wipes off with a rag. And a number of small nicks and abrasions on sides of case. If I was to try to sell this as NIB on eBay with photos, some would not bid on this item because of the defects. Yes my standards are high on what I feel the condition of a new product should be. New should look like new, not like it has been in 2 years of service and received normal wear and tear. But once again I have full confidence that Dave will handle this like a professional, and will give him every opportunity to do so. The point of my original post is to state my purchase experience, and to then follow up with how the vendor responded to the issue at hand and how it was brought to resolution. It would not be fair to readers of this forum to just read all the glowing past posts in regards to DTB radio prior to making a purchase, without also being able to read a post about the same vendor that may not be so glowing. In that way a consumer has a more balanced and honest view of that vendor and can make their purchase decision in a more educated manor. Many like I do goggle searches on vendors prior to purchasing a product, read past forum posts in regards to that vendor, and they deserve to be able to read both the good and the bad in regards to a vendor. And as far as flaming Dave? I never have and choose this forum to voice my concerns, even knowing it contained Dave groupies. If I wanted to flame him I would have went to other hobby forums where he was not so beloved and flamed away without all the push back....

Please keep in mind that once this is resolved in a professional and speedy manor, and I create a second post in regards to how Dave responded to this, it will have an opposite effect for those that search out information on DTB radio. It will bring confidence that if something goes wrong with their purchase from DTB radio, that it will be resolved for them to their complete satisfaction. To be fair, I think the problem may have been caused by DTB being a modest side vendor who may not have had multiple units to choose from, and shipped what he had in the condition it was in. I would have preferred if Dave would have notified me that the condition of the unit or units he had may not meet my standards, and would have allowed me to say thank you, but no thanks. I once had a dealer do that, and even though I did not purchase that particular item from him, he did earn my respect and I became a long term customer and purchased many other items from him. And guess what? He never said I was being too "picky" and he enjoyed years of my profitable business!

Last edited:
Now Owl please do not take this wrong I am in no way taking sides with anyone I dont buy or have DTB or any CB radio shop do anything for me I do my own if not I have it taken care of at Q5communications about an hour from me here in Madison Wisconsin and that seldom ever happens.

I am not picky but when I buy something new IT BETTER BE NEW and I get that and your feelings on it. I have had issues with getting bad deals or burned on a deal but I waited to give the other party time to take care of their part on their end before stirring up a hornets nest and mainly to be fair. a person wants to screw me or try?? Then so be it I will certainly let others know but for the sole purpose of others not getting screwed or simply to beware or use caution.

My only concern is you had said you had purchased several radios and were happy. Why did you order and get rid of so many radios you were happy with to begin with/ Im not digging into your pesonal business but its not just you Im sure and alot of people do this same thing with riflling the radios left and right and not thinking about how we need to keep a radio when its a great or good radio.

Im guesing something went awry with the radios before or "you simply decided you were not happy with them?" Ive got alot of radios and recently decided Im gonna post a few HF rigs and Exports not because their junk or Im not happy with them but because they are just sitting here and someone could be using them. Some Ive had for years.

All in all I hope and am quite sure this Dave at DTB Radio will take care of it on his end. Is there anyway you can post a pic or pics of what the radio was actually like so we have a better idea seeings how it dragged on as it has? Good luck and stay calm with the situation and all will be resolved.
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.