• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX-949 or 959 10m mod?

seekyou

Apr 30, 2015
Hi Folks
Can anyone tell me if the Galaxy radios above can be modded to work on 10m please?

All the best!

Pete

You could most likely change the crystal and then re align it for 10 meters, would be more work that what it is worth IMO due to the receiver being wide open with little adjacent rejection.

You would better of just finding a used HF rig and use it on the ham bands.

Good advice.

If you are interested in NEW lower cost 10 meter radio, consider the RCI 2950.

Thanks for the input. I do realise and appreciate your comments regarding this. I have successfully converted and realigned many radios for 10m over the years and have had a lot of fun and also learnt quite a bit!
So I have already owned and used both 10m and 11m converted and unconverted. Its just that the Galaxy radios LOOK so nice with the large meter and general performance.
There's nothing like these in the UK and they are not legal to use on the new allocated channels over here in the UK. So...I thought..maybe I could own one of these lovely beasties and use it on 10m? That's it really.
Is there anyone out there thought about it or tried the crystal change mod I wonder?
That being said what about the galaxy 10m range? Maybe I should pay some more and look at those? (shame it costs so much in import tax etc to get hold of one!)
Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?
Many Regards

Pete G4HAK

I agree Galaxy radios are nice and I like the big meter myself.

There are Galaxy 10 meter radios like the DX99 or the higher power DX98 (no FM on the 98).

These cover most of the 10 meter band from 28.000 to 28.755MHz which I believe is within the 10 meter band allocation for the UK and are sold not to operate on other frequencies. What you do afterwards is up to you.

These are available by numerous online dealers in the US but I believe they maybe a customs issue with your country when it come to declaring items on manifests. I'm sure there is a work around it.

I agree Galaxy radios are nice and I like the big meter myself.

There are Galaxy 10 meter radios like the DX99 or the higher power DX98 (no FM on the 98).

These cover most of the 10 meter band from 28.000 to 28.755MHz which I believe is within the 10 meter band allocation for the UK and are sold not to operate on other frequencies. What you do afterwards is up to you.

These are available by numerous online dealers in the US but I believe they maybe a customs issue with your country when it come to declaring items on manifests. I'm sure there is a work around it.

Yes you are right about the manifests to UK. Will have a look at those radios....

your welcome, I have installed a few of LES boards and never had any issues.

As long as you have the test equipment to perform a proper alignment they will work great.

Les has been real busy lately with orders so it may take him a while to reply but he does reply to questions.

Good luck and enjoy

Since this is a forum, which means opinions are to be expressed but not often appreciated, I have to say this.

Why would you want to add parts or change a radios design to get something out of it that it wasn't designed to do in the first place?

By the time lost and expense of having your radio altered, you can buy a new 10 meter Galaxy radio as mentioned before and be done with it.

Then you can have a Galaxy radio with the frequencies you want and twice the power of your 959 out of the box without having to hack it up, sort of speak.

Just something obvious to think about, Cheers.

Just trade/replace the Loop Osc xtal for a slightly higher freq. Which one? Well; there is a little math involved. I would guess something close to 15.5mhz might do the trick. But you will still need to fine re-tune the radio, as well as unlock the clarifier to slide +/-5khz to hit the even numbers and in-between spots.

Would I do that to this radio? No.

Reactions: wavrider
Just trade/replace the Loop Osc xtal for a slightly higher freq. Which one? Well; there is a little math involved. I would guess something close to 15.5mhz might do the trick. But you will still need to fine re-tune the radio, as well as unlock the clarifier to slide +/-5khz to hit the even numbers and in-between spots.

Would I do that to this radio? No.

Actually I do appreciate ALL input...As you rightly say..its a FORUM! Well I've been giving it thought and looking at the feedback and finally made a decision to buy a 10M Galaxy and be done with it. Thanks Folks for the advice/thoughts!

Actually I do appreciate ALL input...As you rightly say..its a FORUM! Well I've been giving it thought and looking at the feedback and finally made a decision to buy a 10M Galaxy and be done with it. Thanks Folks for the advice/thoughts!
Now if only I knew a friendly customs officer......:sneaky:

Now if only I knew a friendly customs officer......:sneaky:

I think you are making the better decision to purchase a 10 meter radio from the get go!

I took the liberty of looking up on EBAY UK to see if any US dealers do ship to your country and I see some do. I believe these dealers tell a white lie on the shipping manifests to sell these type of radios to your country. While here in the US, they are not FCC approved, the enforcement to import them into our country is very lax. So there usage is illegally wide spread among non licensed radio operators.

Here is a link for an UK Ebay page showing the Galaxy 99v listings of US dealers that ship to the UK. Most of these are new which I would recommend buying since a used radio could have been hacked up by the owner and trying to dump it off on someone else.

I would contact the seller first and inquire about reliable shipping and any customs issues that may arise.

I suggest the 99v because it has AM/FM/SSB Modes. The only other new model 10 meter galaxy radios that have SSB do not have FM but they do have high power such as the 100 watt Galaxy 94 and the 200 watt Galaxy 98. The other Galaxy 10 meter models are only AM/FM which are pretty useless to use for Amateur radio service.

Here is a the EBAY link.for this particular radio.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...+galaxy+99v.TRS0&_nkw=+galaxy+99v&_sacat=1500

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.