• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End Fed Antenna

Maybe this is more of a a personal affliction but,
There is no such thing as a "ZERO ground radial antenna".
Same for the monopole morons.

All antennas reference ground in some way, with or without "radials".

Then again I'm an opinionated dick

I just know from hearing them work that they sure do work without adding any ground radials.I have never heard any other vertical antennas that work as they do.If I did not have my yagi antenna and was forced to go to a vertical I would buy a GAP without hesitation over any other brand because I have Zero interest in putting down even one radial.I don’t even run ground rods.

SIX-SHOOTER

My wife's cousin (new ham) put up an Gap Eagle. It's pole mounted around 6' high with 3 horizontal radials. It works pretty good. I've come close to buying one and putting it above my big metal carport.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Well, just noticed my current balun is only rated for 200 watts CW. Guess I got fooled, when I read it handled 1500 watts SSB. The 200 watts is in small print. This will not do.
12ga house wire
20160618_215212.jpg

https://sites.google.com/view/kn9b/guanella-current-balun

Reactions: Mudfoot
I have made numerous EFHW's as of late. Use them with 45 watts in portable operations. Most of the time in an inverted "L" configuration.Keep the transformer close to the ground, ground it and have fun.
If I were to buy 1, I'm not sure which 1.

Reactions: Mudfoot and HomerBB
I have made numerous EFHW's as of late. Use them with 45 watts in portable operations. Most of the time in an inverted "L" configuration.Keep the transformer close to the ground, ground it and have fun.
If I were to buy 1, I'm not sure which 1.

There are so many configurations. I remember wanting to buy a Par End fed years ago. I went to order one from them and they ceased amature sales and started filling military orders. This was the onset of the gulf War. I never got around to get one until now. so many choices and performance claims boggled my decision

Reactions: binrat
The Par Endfedz get my vote. I had their 10/20/40 MKII in my attic a few years back and talked all over the world on 25 watts. Just not sure if they have one that handles your wattage.

Must say you carry some clout, Mudfoot. When anyone else inquires about end fed antennas, they are usually harassed and ridiculed. (n)

MF.
My thoughts on transformer and wire regarding end feeds. I have had little success with 9:1 and random wire lengths. I have had great success with 49:1 and half wave wire lengths. Most multi-band EFHW have a small wire choke about 2 metres from the transformer. If you go with a true efhw, look for that choke.

I have a local that put up one of these last year and swears by it. It does get rave reviews. I realize you can build one for a fraction of the cost.. thought I would share
https://myantennas.com/wp/product-category/antennas/efhw-multi-band/

OK for portable or Ecom usage...However, when using HALF of an antenna, imagine the reviews they would give out if they used a REAL antenna and quit using their feedline (coax) for the other half!!!! That's why the guys that sell these tell you in their explanation to use a minimum of 25 to 75 ft of coax when installed.
Chokes or no choke that coax radiates. Without a good ground and suitable counterpoise(and not 10-12 ft of wire!:LOL:). That feedline is going to radiate.
Hence the RFI issues 90% of the user's experience to some degree when they use one.
OK, enough of the rehash again...
All the Best
Gary

OK for portable or Ecom usage...However, when using HALF of an antenna, imagine the reviews they would give out if they used a REAL antenna and quit using their feedline (coax) for the other half!!!! That's why the guys that sell these tell you in their explanation to use a minimum of 25 to 75 ft of coax when installed.
Chokes or no choke that coax radiates. Without a good ground and suitable counterpoise(and not 10-12 ft of wire!:LOL:). That feedline is going to radiate.
Hence the RFI issues 90% of the user's experience to some degree when they use one.
OK, enough of the rehash again...
All the Best
Gary

Can’t argue with that, Gary. :D
Still, I have used end feds and HW dipoles with 1:1 baluns and can honestly say I saw no difference in performance. Saw no evidence of CMC in the shack (house) on some end feds but did on others. Five snap-on ferrite beads near the equipment eliminated any problems on those. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.