• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End Fed Antenna

In this photo you can see I've built in a lug for ground, but there is the hose clamp that I used for a previous build that had no ground lug.

20200421_104243-01.jpeg

Reactions: CB590 and binrat
Hi there, Following the thread here and took comfort in your (HomerBB) previous thread where you stated the radiator can be bent and still works... that has really helped me as Im about to install the exact antenna you speak of, 49:1, 130ft and was concerned it may come down faster than it went up - I have added a switchable relay as outlined in this video if it is of help to anyone else, great video from this gentleman -

Thought I’d share the information.

Regards
Mark (UK).

@Mudfoot
Plenty of advice already, but specifically to your question, I have a end fed wire ~134' long with a 49:1 transformer coax fed. The coax braid is ground rod connected. I can tune 160m - 10m and make contacts on 80m to 10m when the bands are open. I've also used the shortened version ~67' tuned for 40m with 110uH coil and ~6' wire after that for 80m.
I've used a similar length non resonant wire with 9:1 transformer and a single counterpoise wire ~65' with same results. In my experience both require a tuner.
If you do the end fed wire, with the room you describe if there is no way to bend it for more length just make sure you use a non resonant length for any band you wish to use and as many ground mounted radials as you can and a 9:1 transformer with your tuner. Put a Common Mode Current choke at the shack entrance to handle potential RF issues.

Last edited:
Hi there, Following the thread here and took comfort in your previous thread where you stated the radiator can be bent and still works... that has really helped me as Im about to install the exact antenna you speak of, 49:1, 130ft and was concerned it may come down faster than it went up - I have added a switchable relay as outlined in this video if it is of help to anyone else, great video from this gentleman -

Thought I’d share the information.

Regards
Mark (UK).

Good stuff. Very well explained and delivered. I just happen to have a 12 volt relay. I'm going to experiment with the Ultimax, but I definitely want to graduate to something that will do 160.

I definitely appreciate the help and suggestions. It's as I mentioned earlier. There are just so many variations of the end fed. Very overwhelming, especially since I have little patience for intense research.

Looking forward to how this performs as a vertical.

Thanks for all the good reading.

I have a 49131 (49:1 unun) from Balun Designs that I've been wanting to use to skirt my HOA regulations. Not only have I not gotten around to it, but I've also picked up a 20' crappie pole and have considered dedicating the setup to portable operations.
Portable operations is all I do for HF. Mostly SOTA, which EFHW are great for.

Reactions: HomerBB
I thinking of mounting the box, a foot or so from base of my Oak tree. I have a 6 foot remnant of copper ground rod. Pound a stake in ground and mount the box about a foot high and right next to it, drive the rod.

I'll remove my 20 meter inverted V and pull the radiator straight up vertically. Use existing LMR-240 from my dipole that feeds in the house. Can I lay the feedline on the group up to my shack? I can run it along base of my privacy fence to avoid mower/trimmer.

I was thinking of just making everything temporary because I want to install it several different ways to make comparisons. I want it to perform better vertically, if possible. It will be a cleaner install and out of the way, if vertical.

Reactions: HomerBB
I thinking of mounting the box, a foot or so from base of my Oak tree. I have a 6 foot remnant of copper ground rod. Pound a stake in ground and mount the box about a foot high and right next to it, drive the rod.

I'll remove my 20 meter inverted V and pull the radiator straight up vertically. Use existing LMR-240 from my dipole that feeds in the house. Can I lay the feedline on the group up to my shack? I can run it along base of my privacy fence to avoid mower/trimmer.

I was thinking of just making everything temporary because I want to install it several different ways to make comparisons. I want it to perform better vertically, if possible. It will be a cleaner install and out of the way, if vertical.

That's how usually do things. Temporary. The LMR240 (same as a I run) should be fine on the ground for testing and such. I like the idea of a post in the ground to hold the box. Got with 2' above the ground in case use leave it and it snows or something. Your plan sounds good IMO

When is had my 9:1 box up at the last house in PA I had it on a wooden broom handle up only about 10' at the feed point and then strung into a tree at about 25' and then a hard left toward the trailer again. About 43' of 12THHN wire. I did choke the coax before going back into the house with a 1:1 choke. I had about 20' of feedline between the choke and the feed point on the 9:1 box.

Reactions: HomerBB and Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.