• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ERF2030+ new version indestructible?

Mr. Pork Chop...

Has anybody found a datasheet yet?

You are asking us?

I agree about liars, but what did he lie about?
Contrary to what some folks think, Eric is a semiconductor process engineer.

Why don't you ask him?

When in the Lions Den, it is best not to tie a steak around your neck.

Reactions: LeapFrog
I hate liars more than anything else on this earth. Just like so many that sell things he is taking credit for thing he had nothing to do with. Palomar has not developed any technology. Palomars New Wafer Technology" just them being liars that is what pisses me off about companies like Stryker and Yeti.com when they take credit for designs they have had nothing to do with besides placing their name on it! You can not trust a liar!

If I were to say " look at my new car." It doesn't mean that I made it or designed it. If Palomar or someone has a new design, even if they bought it, it's theirs.

Well, today I made the mistake of switching the coax box with the mic keyed on my Stryker SR94HPC. The crap switch mode finals shorted instantly and the radio displayed TX error. This is the first time in 40 years that I ever seen a radio final, fragile enough to blow up with a nanosecond of open antenna connection!

The ERF2030+ transistors have been ordered to replace the 13n10 stock ones. If it works a drop better than stock, I'll mention it here soon...

PS: Notice I said "Shorted"! These junk transistors do not blow open and draw zero current like the originals. They short and put a massive load on the series pass modulator. Luckily this radio detects that over current condition and inhibits the TX mode before the modulator burns out too.

They short and put a massive load on the series pass modulator.

Thank you for passing this along.

Unfortunately, some other radios - like Ranger - that use 13N10's - or IRF520s' or even the RFT1/2/3 series - use power supplies that do not detect a short to prevent overload. So "short circuit protection" was never an option.

They'll just "wink" on and off until the either Power supply - or the radio - quits.

Usually - its' the radio...and it's never pleasant.

Keep us posted...

There will always be a short "burst" of high SWR while a linear's relay makes the 10- or 20-millisecond trip from receive position to transmit. The radio keys into a brief open circuit while the relay's moving contact is in between.

A real RF transistor shrugs this off. It's designed to.

Prompts the question. How fast does a switchmode MOSFET go critical and pop?

Gotta wonder.

Well, today I made the mistake of switching the coax box with the mic keyed on my Stryker SR94HPC. The crap switch mode finals shorted instantly and the radio displayed TX error. This is the first time in 40 years that I ever seen a radio final, fragile enough to blow up with a nanosecond of open antenna connection!

The ERF2030+ transistors have been ordered to replace the 13n10 stock ones. If it works a drop better than stock, I'll mention it here soon...

PS: Notice I said "Shorted"! These junk transistors do not blow open and draw zero current like the originals. They short and put a massive load on the series pass modulator. Luckily this radio detects that over current condition and inhibits the TX mode before the modulator burns out too.
I'm curious to see how they work for you because I couldn't get them to work correctly and throughout wwdx other have had the same results. Hopefully they'll behave in your installation.

I'm curious to see how they work for you because I couldn't get them to work correctly and throughout wwdx other have had the same results. Hopefully they'll behave in your installation.

Were you using them in a radio that was designed to run the 13N10 MOSFET as the stock final or was this replacing some other transistor?

That is what Palomar claims and if they lied about that, it's going to get both the negative feedback it deserves and thrown in the trash before investing any time modifying the circuit to get a part to work, that does not even meet the manufacturers specs.

If they fail, I'll be going right to a real RF transistor mentioned earlier. The RD16HFF1. Only reason I didn't is because it's going to require circuit modification to match its much higher 20 ohm input impedance. At 57 watts of dissipation in the linear mode, this part has a very conservative MINIUM power output of 16 watts and a breakdown voltage of 50 volts. That spells out, a lot of ruggedness.

Good news everyone! What I thought was going to be junk, arrived today in the mail. Four ERF2030+ transistors to replace the blown 13N10 final in a Stryker SR-94HPC. Only one of the two finals were blown. There is no schematic for this radio but it appeared as though two 13N10 transistors are wired in parallel as dual finals and one is used as a driver.

This made me do something we normally wouldn't and mix things up a bit for testing purposes. On working stock transistors, this radio use to produce a maximum of 43 watts PEP on the Bird. Knowing one final was shorted, I pulled it and made a power test on one good 13N10. It produced 23 watts PEP. The missing final then was replaced with one ERF2030+. Power came up to 48 watts PEP.

More important is that the 13N10 was still running just a little hotter in temperature than the ERF2030+. Out came the working 13N10 final and two new ERF2030+'s were installed as finals. Power came up to 52 watts PEP. Since these transistor run more efficient with higher gain in this circuit, I stopped at replacing the two finals and left the driver stock. The driver is fairly protected from high VSWR since it sees the finals as its load.

52 watts from something this size is plenty for me. The fact it runs cooler made me check something else. Stock current draw was never measured on this radio so I had nothing to compare it to now. However, on a smaller power supply and the stock DC power cord, the internal digital volt meter would drop from 12.1 to 11.1 on word peaks. It now only drops to 11.4 and is confirmation of less current being drawn, with slightly more power output. That is improved efficiency.

This radio may be one of the best case scenarios for this transistor, since it does not have SSB and only runs the part in class C with high level AM modulation or FM. Having to run it in linear mode for SSB will put the switch mode part under the most stress. No other modifications were made to the final stage for these results. The radio does have my AMC mod posted elsewhere in the forum.

I suspect the result of this improvement is due to reduced internal capacitances in the ERF2030+ and will compare Ciss and Coss to the 13N10 soon...

Man that is great news! I'm glad someone here has better than good results and even more going the extra mile to do some testing along with reporting the results here. Your efforts are appreciated by some of us not so knowledgeable amatures looking to learn more.

So question is now, why have I as others gotten less than satisfactory results. Is it in our bias voltage settings?

Did you simply drop them in place of the 13n10's and no need of other component swaps?

Only asking to see where I'm coming short

So question is now, why have I as others gotten less than satisfactory results. Is it in our bias voltage settings?

Did you simply drop them in place of the 13n10's and no need of other component swaps?

Only asking to see where I'm coming short

One thing I just learned was that the input and output capacitances of these two parts is far different than I thought and in the opposite direction. For the 13N10 the Ciss was 567pf and Coss was 558pf. The ERF2030+ came in at a much higher Ciss of 1422pf and a Coss of 1270pf. That is enough to make a difference in the tuning of circuits and confuses me because no changes were made in the PA stage other than the transistors.

No bending of coils and no changing of any bias gate voltage. The only thing I can think of now that would be making the ERF2030+ work better in the Stryker SR-94HPC is that the transistor must have a faster rise and fall time where the 13N10 is at its limits.

The current reduction has made a noticeable difference in how cool the TIP31 series pass modulator runs too. The cast aluminum housing takes much longer to heat up and never gets as hot as it did. If you're concerned with how hot this radio normally runs when you get long winded, don't bother to change the modulator transistor, change both finals to the ERF2030+.

This radio seems to lack a tuned matching circuit between the driver and final stage like most CB's and looks capacitively coupled. That may explain why it handled the change in higher input capacitance over the stock finals. It doesn't explain why with no output impedance adjustment I saw and increase in power and a reduction in current, other than perhaps the original match was off.

I would experiment more with the output match if I had a schematic. I don't want to get into a situation where I can't identify output matching from things like 54 MHz. traps and the radio is working well so I think I'll stop fixing it before I break it again.

This radio may not even use any DC voltage on the gates. I didn't measure it but they may just be driving the finals with enough power to run them with zero bias. It did use one driver the same size as each final and that's a lot of drive capability. Think of your typical "3 pill".

The theory of zero bias being used here eliminates the pesky variable of riding the gate threshold voltage perfectly to maintain the gain required to produce rated power output. It's not so fussy if you have enough drive to eliminate the need of DC to turn the transistor on. Would be nice if they started publishing some idling current specifications for various classes of bias on these parts...

Then we would know right away if lack of power output was related to bias problems or matching problems on the input or output. Sad to say, Palomar can't even seem to provide any important specs like the gate threshold voltage for comparison so each parameter has to be tested on your own to find out as needed.

In most cases, the higher output capacitance of the ERF2030+ should require changes in the output matching such as a reduction in the value of any external source capacitor and bending of the next coil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
Reactions: Shockwave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.