• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export/10 meter radio with good receive and static rejection?

bassman21

Aug 1, 2015
I love my Lincoln II, but it doesn't reject static very well. When driving around I will sometimes get 10 DB of pure electrical noise. I understand some of it can't be avoided, but a lot of it can be filtered with a radio with good receive. I heard the Lincoln II Plus has better receive, but I'm not sure if it is worth getting. I want a radio that has receive like an HR2510 or a Cobra 148 to name a couple, but that I can buy new and can be modded. I want one that can pull in those distant stations well and also filters out a lot of the electrical noise while driving. Any suggestions?

Don't care to read "that is illegal" lecture from anyone.

Thanks

My amateur gear which costs way more than any CB can't do it, even my £3500 Flexradio Flex 6500 SDR can only do so much.

Which radios has comparable receive to the HR 2510 and 1980s 148 that are manufactured today? What is the closest thing?

I do not know of any of the new radios with a good noise rejection you are wanting. that is why I run older cobra 148 and president Jackson radios. also the uniden grant xl and LT radios are good for what you are asking about.

Which radios has comparable receive to the HR 2510 and 1980s 148 that are manufactured today? What is the closest thing?

The front end on the HR2510 is as wide as my ex's hiney! It has a 5 kHz wide IF filter. Talk about noisy. I always wondered why the receiver on my HTX-100 (3 kHz wide) was noticeably better.

They did that for AM mode in the 2500 knowing the radio would be modded for CB. The HTX-100 was geared towards hams and wasn't made with AM only SSB and CW.

I used to have a Grant LT that was super nice to listen to in the mobile but I realized it wasn't just quieter compared to my newer radios - it was actually not receiving with the same signal strength and that's why it was quieter :)

You can adjust the receive section of a radio to be quieter if you want, I've done this many times to try to find a balance between signal strength and overall noise. Most radios from the factory are set up a the sweet spot for strongest receive but that often means more noise - you can usually cut back on the noise without drastically effecting reception but it's a very fine line.

As others have said though almost all newer radios are noisy.

On the Lincoln II you can use the NB/ANL combined with the HI-CUT to cut back on the noise.

I own a Lincoln II V3 and use it on my base. I assume you have the 3rd version?

I don't see anything online about a Lincoln II Plus, other than a website from UK and it appears to be the V3.

There really isn't an export radio that will perform better than a CB on RX performance, except for maybe the Yeticom Optima MK3.

Best bet is to get a Cobra 148GTL or Uniden Grant XL, have it recapped, install the 1N6263 Shottky diodes, get it properly aligned and enjoy. I've tried the rest, and I run the best in my mobile, which is currently a Uniden Grant XL.

~Cheers~

Reactions: LeapFrog and tba02
I run a cobra 148F gtl or a uniden XL or LT radio in my pickup and I have the best noise rejection with them over the export radios as exit thirteen mentioned. the only exports I like is the president jackson radios. I own 2 of them.

Reactions: Robb
I've had pretty good luck with the optima MK3. And it's possible that there may be a few left still. Look up the actual dealer in New Zealand, a member here as well he is, as he has some optima mk3's he found and was selling them last I saw a couple weeks ago. They may be all gone by now or not. You'll have to check.
I just checked for you and he still has some. Yeti Communications LTD, that is where you want to get one from if you get one. Here is the home page for the site. Just some food for thought as to a good export radio with a good RX as mentioned in an earlier post. Have a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_5864.PNG
    IMG_5864.PNG
    353.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5863.PNG
    IMG_5863.PNG
    304.7 KB · Views: 4
When driving around I will sometimes get 10 DB of pure electrical noise.

When operating mobile, you have to expect and tolerate noises induced from powerlines, transformers, etc. No radio is going to filter is that out. If you start screwing around with the receiver adjustments, you may knock it off balance and lose sensitivity, but it may make your receiver quieter. It's not a one way street.

Because you brought up assumptions, here it is.
You are operating an unapproved transmitter.

I own a Lincoln II V3 and use it on my base. I assume you have the 3rd version?

I don't see anything online about a Lincoln II Plus, other than a website from UK and it appears to be the V3.

The new Lincoln II + should be arriving in the US shortly. What they did was take the V3 and add 12 meters + they added more gain in the microphone circuit and added a bit more output. They also supposedly adjusted how the knobs work a bit. There was talk that they may have done some other tweaks as well but those haven't been disclosed and I doubt it.

I was tempted to buy one just to see if they had made any improvements over the V3 - but my gut says most of what you'll notice will just be the 12 meter addition.

Reactions: Dart

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.