• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export/10 meter radio with good receive and static rejection?

I have many export and CB radios. Have worked on all of them and learned my share. I think that any of the Uniden-built radios are the best. But that doesn't mean you can expect that much more from them than you could from any radio that is out there. Especially as far as receive is concerned

I always err on the side of spending more on antennas than radios, since they will ultimately make the largest difference in receive and transmit.

If I were to do this all over again remembering what I've learned; then I would opt for a Uniden radio like a Cobra 148 with a 5 pin mic, rebuild/retune it, and put up a horizontal beam antenna and Sirio 4000 on an antenna switch. Which is what I pretty much run now (have to put the beam back up and get a Sirio 4000 and take down the Imax 2000 - when it gets here). Low noise and strong signal are key points here; no?

Think you will find that the better antennas will make even a marginal radio a lot better bet . . .

Last edited:
Yes I have the version 3. It does a good job of making stations far away seem loud. A station putting S3 sounds about as loud as a station putting S9. When I'm not getting that horrible electrical noise in certain areas, usually near businesses, the receive is great, much better than my Cobra 25. On my Cobra 25, a station putting S3 will sound noticeably lower than the one putting S9. However compared to my Cobra 25 with Schottky diodes, the Lincoln doesn't filter out electrical noise as well, but as I said overall pulls stations in better. It seems like Lincoln just needs to improve the noise blanker a bit. I'm hoping they did on the Plus! I saw a video by Simon the Wizard comparing the Plus with the Version 3 and the Plus had a little less static and seems to pull stations in a little better, but this was on sideband and the different was nominal. I commented on a couple of his videos asking this very question and others, but he never responded. I notice he won't tell anyone how to mod the Plus either. Apparently whatever the FCC is in the UK put some pressure on him, so maybe that is why.

I can't find a Yeticom Optima MK3 for sale new or used anywhere. If anyone knows for sure please message me. I'm willing to give it a shot. The HR2510's are too old and I don't want to spend the time and money trying to get one to work right. I may try an Emperor 5010, those are a little newer. Thanks everyone for the input!

Stay away from the 5010 or older HR2510 's at this point. They are good radios but the newer radios like the Lincoln II are a better deal for the $ and those other radios are getting long in the tooth. Of course I'm running a 30 year old ham radio but I picked it up for $50 :)

Yes I have the version 3. It does a good job of making stations far away seem loud. A station putting S3 sounds about as loud as a station putting S9. When I'm not getting that horrible electrical noise in certain areas, usually near businesses, the receive is great, much better than my Cobra 25. On my Cobra 25, a station putting S3 will sound noticeably lower than the one putting S9. However compared to my Cobra 25 with Schottky diodes, the Lincoln doesn't filter out electrical noise as well, but as I said overall pulls stations in better. It seems like Lincoln just needs to improve the noise blanker a bit. I'm hoping they did on the Plus! I saw a video by Simon the Wizard comparing the Plus with the Version 3 and the Plus had a little less static and seems to pull stations in a little better, but this was on sideband and the different was nominal. I commented on a couple of his videos asking this very question and others, but he never responded. I notice he won't tell anyone how to mod the Plus either. Apparently whatever the FCC is in the UK put some pressure on him, so maybe that is why.

I can't find a Yeticom Optima MK3 for sale new or used anywhere. If anyone knows for sure please message me. I'm willing to give it a shot. The HR2510's are too old and I don't want to spend the time and money trying to get one to work right. I may try an Emperor 5010, those are a little newer. Thanks everyone for the input!
Yeticom is still selling new optimas. Where on earth did you look, if not at the dealer?

Reactions: 222DBFL
Yep there are still some optima MK3's left from Yeticomm. Like 338 said, you need to look at the ones from the dealer which is Yeticom. I think there is a web addresss and here it is showing the optima mk3 in stock as of the moment. The web page I found is: www.survival-systems.com
Look here for the optima mk3. And yes it's worth the little extra cost of shipping as you get a better mic and a radio that has a warranty as it's direct from the dealer. JMHO. Hope this helps bassman21.

Thanks guys. The web page looks a little outdated so I wasn't sure it would be in stock. I emailed them and they confirmed it is in stock. The total price with shipping is $318. I sent them the payment and will give it a try. I was reading some post here and elsewhere on it and pretty much everyone likes it. I like how it looks like a real ham radio and not a export CB trying to be passed off as a ham radio. Like the Lincoln 2 it looks like SSB is where it shines. I will be using it on both. I like how it comes in export mode out of the box, so no worries about voiding the warranty from clipping something. I will be used on 10 and 11 meters.

Do you think the stock mic will sound as good or better than a 2018 Xtreme echo mic? I don't use the echo much, but like the overall sound of it over the Lincoln stock mic which is a little muffled on AM.

The stock mic is supposed to be pretty good from Yeticomm. They have upgraded the mic and it is suppose to be well matched to the radio from what I have heard. And pretty much any 8 pin Icom mic will work on it as well. Try the stock mic before you rush out and buy a 2018 extreme. JMHO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.