• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Favorite 10 meter radio and why.

hi, i always get great reports with my 2950(orange face),both fm and ssb
omegaforce.........again great reports on fm(never really tried on ssb,yet)great output as well.
6900..........love it,especially ssb
they all offer things that i love ,mainly great audio.
which is my fave?
depends what day it is!!! :LOL:

Porkchop said:
hi, i always get great reports with my 2950(orange face),both fm and ssb
omegaforce.........again great reports on fm(never really tried on ssb,yet)great output as well.
6900..........love it,especially ssb
they all offer things that i love ,mainly great audio.
which is my fave?
depends what day it is!!! :LOL:
Well Mr Porkchop ...I'd guess to say that was par for the course ....I would guess to say that 99.9% of all radio operators want to be heard !! ....AUUUUDDDDIOOOOOO DON'T YOU KNOW !! (-:

SwitchKit-
I dunno why your AR3300 sucked on AM as it's basically the same as the AR3500. Those radios are known for their killer audio. AM modulation is considered to be excellent and SSB is rated superb to outstanding by many amateurs who used/use them. I have yet to scope my 3500 since I need a 25amp supply or simply get a car battery on the test bench and go from there. The signal reports are always positive ones. Were U using the stock mic? Every ham I know has switched to a quality NC mic and that was the key to good audio.

Roger Dodger said:
SwitchKit-
I dunno why your AR3300 sucked on AM as it's basically the same as the AR3500. Those radios are known for their killer audio. AM modulation is considered to be excellent and SSB is rated superb to outstanding by many amateurs who used/use them. I have yet to scope my 3500 since I need a 25amp supply or simply get a car battery on the test bench and go from there. The signal reports are always positive ones. Were U using the stock mic? Every ham I know has switched to a quality NC mic and that was the key to good audio.

It's been a long time Rodger ....I had that radio in 93-94 and not for long at that ......IM sure I had wired a D-104 or something like that to it at the time as well as the stock mic that came with it ....it may have had decent audio on the AM side but I would hear my wife at the time on the other end of it in the car and I really didn't like what I was hearing along with the radio reports I had gotten from others on the AM side of things ....to be honest with you Rodger ,IM so used to hearing over bearing audio sounding radios over the years that when I do hear one that is almost telephone quality audio .....it's not loud enough even though it's more close to sounding sweet then not ....after all these years and all the radios that I've heard in so many different receives .....IM so used to the over bearing punch you in the face type audios (more then likely over modulated) sounding radios ....I'd guess to say just because they are cranked up to much /limiters clipped/cap&resistor mods/ ect.ect. .....if they can turn down the mic gains on them ,they can still sound fairly loud and decent .....IM no expert that's for sure !! but my ear hears what it hears....maybe my 3300 just didn't have the right tune or then again .....maybe it did ? .....it was just that damned ear hole of mine on the AM side and what I like to personally hear and sound like.....IM sure in some people minds that might just add up to sounding like crap ? IM more so then not a AM kind of guy over the years ......can surely appreciate a good SSB rig all the same .....right now I live in a condo and a base unit and antenna is out of the question ....IM strickly CB radio so I would more then likely run a older 148 or Grant XL for a base unit if I could get away with it ......last year I was running a Grant XL in my car for about 8 months or so with a NPC mod on it for AM and my amps operations .....I had a lot of feedback problems and sold the unit (I do miss the SSB side of things on that radio all the same) right now it's just a 89 Cobra 25 with a cap/resistor mod with a RK-56 and a TRB-1 I love the audio on this one set just right .....the 25 has great built in noise blankers for my noisey car ....I still can't figure out why those older 29s noise blankers just won't do for me in my car but the 25s will ? the 29s almost work to good !! ....almost act like a RF gain control with both clicks of the switch and at the same time knock out the guy that is further away ....the 25s do not do that. .....Wow !! sorry about that ....looks like Switch Kit is getting way off subject here ....I suppose it's not the first time.

I'm no Ranger expert, but the amateurs that have used them all claim to stay away from the power mics, and esp. the D104. As difficult as it is to believe that any factory supplied mic is of worth, the Ranger mic "was supposed" to be pretty decent, aside from the real improvement of using a NC type by Turner or Astatic. My only gripe over the Ranger radios is the omission of a channel selector knob that allows you fast selection. While the individual ^v siwtches for mhz, khz, etc. are nice, the addition of a simple rotaty knob would be welcomed.

g

HR2600. Tons of great features, especially chipshwitched. Great on ssb and on am. Increadibley clean loud audio and excellent rx. I had mine done up by 'Doc' at Docs Electronics in Buffalo, NY. Oh ya, the Turner +3 is the best mic I have used with this radio.

LoneWolf TN

Roger Dodger said:
I'm no Ranger expert, but the amateurs that have used them all claim to stay away from the power mics, and esp. the D104.
The Astatic 575-M6 is a "excellent" mic for the 2900's

Also Roger Dodger wrote:
"My only gripe over the Ranger radios is the omission of a channel selector knob that allows you fast selection. While the individual ^v siwtches for mhz, khz, etc. are nice, the addition of a simple rotaty knob would be welcomed".
All the 2950's & 2970's (12 to be exact) that I've had, have all got the rotor knob for the channel slection, never heard of one that didn't.

-------------------
DXman

All the 2950's & 2970's (12 to be exact) that I've had, have all got the rotor knob for the channel slection, never heard of one that didn't.

-------------------
DXman

I think he is talking about the Clear Channel/RF Limited/Magnum
Rangers, not RCI.Over the years I've owned quite a few of the AR's and always received good audio reports with the stock mic.

73 Carmen

Roger Dodger said:
I'm no Ranger expert, but the amateurs that have used them all claim to stay away from the power mics, and esp. the D104. As difficult as it is to believe that any factory supplied mic is of worth, the Ranger mic "was supposed" to be pretty decent, aside from the real improvement of using a NC type by Turner or Astatic. My only gripe over the Ranger radios is the omission of a channel selector knob that allows you fast selection. While the individual ^v siwtches for mhz, khz, etc. are nice, the addition of a simple rotaty knob would be welcomed.

they do have a big rotary knob on all the ranger DX radios. All you do is hit the MAN button and you get the regular 40 cb channels and the "A" channels.

2995dx is my favorite right now. if i ever buy anything else it will probly be a Icom.

to set things straight there always has been much confusion between Ranger Communications Inc. and Clear Channel's two "RANGER" models. I'm speaking of the C.C. RANGER not RCI. Below is pictured both models (note: no rotary channel selector switch)

Ranger_AR-3300_.jpg

AR3500.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.