• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Follow up thoughts on Kales base antenna idea

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
This is long, but bear with me a little.

For Librium and others adding to the thread about Kale’s base antenna. Here is something I have been studying lately that you might consider in defense of this idea.

If you check out the ARRL antenna book for capacitance hats or top hats you should find some technical support for how top loaded shortened radiators might improve pattern and increase the RF signal by improving the radiation resistance associated when effectively raising the current distribution on the element. This ARRL information has to do with efficiency. If the topics are technically correct, then maybe Kale’s base antenna project has some merit. So, before we chunk the idea maybe consideration for testing is the only real way to determine if it really works well or not and how it compares with other base antennas.

The same issues, regarding the use of suitable center loaded coils, are also related to topics found above by improving current distribution. These conclusions include both increased RF from the radiator and the possible development of improved (lowered) RF patterns. There are many articles expressing, in general the virtues of center loading and top loading, thus showing improvements over base and continuous loaded antennas. This also includes improved control over tuning with coiled antennas.

Can we tell the difference in operations comparing a center-loaded coil to a regular whip for 11 meters? Many will swear you can discern a difference! If the ARRL technology is accurate then it seems to bear this out? This is of course not withstanding the issues with losses usually associated with coils. The abundance of positive claims out there, using the shorter radiators with coil designs deserves some consideration. To be fair there are likely just as many positive claims made about continuous loaded 1/4 wave radiators as well. The whip has always been my personal preference, but I did not find the height and bending issues to be a problem.

In a 1/4 wave mobile whip setup I always wondered how guys were able to nail the install and get a match near 1.1:1. I have personally discovered that the ground plane in a 1/4 wave proves to me to be so vital in bringing the whip to a purely resistive match that I have to question such an installation. This just made the idea for me seem impossible unless the nature of the whip is changed somehow like adding a variable capacitor to the base as a matching device or you had a very good handle on the ground plane presented by a mobile body.

You can get close, but I find it difficult to reach 50 ohms of resistance, when making the antenna purely resistant, in a typical mobile setup. It is real hard to know exactly what to do to fix the ground plane in a mobile to match the stinger as purely resistive where you want it to resonate. Just adding inductance to the element does not necessarily get your there either. I can configure my little home-made starduster antenna I call a Marconi to a match, showing R=50, X=0, SWR=1.00 @ 27.230 for example. However, when testing with a field strength meter I can get a better power reading with the same antenna re-configured just a bit in the ground plane to show R=39, X=0, SWR=1.29 @ 26.950. As you can see, besides the change in resistance there was also a lowering in frequency when all I did was change the GP a bit (making it larger). I tried making the GP smaller too, but the resistance dropped below 30 ohms very rapidly. The 1/4 wave radiator really needs an appropriate ground plane to work against. What I conclude here is that attempting to make the match purely resistive, in this case, actually induces losses that show up as a pure match at the expense of field strength and this is not an improvement. If the field strength actually increased instead, then my conclusion would be wrong. Question: could a shorter coil type antenna overcome this by having better control over reactance?

I can get close with a 1/4 wave base type setup where I can add 6 or more ground plane radials that are a least a 102” for 11 meters. The GP configuration also has to be at approximately 45 degrees angle or the system will need a matcher to get really close. I have also found that horizontal radials, even with a worse match yields a better field strength than does the antenna with slanted down GP radials at 45 degrees. Looks like to me this angle simply adds losses just to improve match, seeing as the field strength is diminished somewhat. Such is compromise.

As already noted above, I wondered if a center loaded coil antenna would match up better, like is said to be the case by many using a well designed coil antenna on a mobile? My novice thinking back then was, that getting the actual load (the coil in this case) up away from the ground plane was what was really important to the better tune and match while maybe showing some increase in field strength. Remember my testing proved to me that a better match would not necessarily produce the best field strength in the near field using the continuous wave whip. Again, could a coil type over come this?

I will admit that just loading a center or top loaded element does not automatically insure improved performance, but even considering the added losses involved with being short and using a coil or top hat one might technically see in these examples that a shorter radiator could possibly perform just as well or better in some case as a true 1/4 wave continuous loaded element or a base loaded.

So our just stating, off hand, that Kale’s base antenna idea is impracticable and impossible might not be the best approach to understanding what a real world experience might show us. In the past I have agreed with you in discounting such claims. Now I’m not quite so sure, since I started looking at what others and the ARRL Antenna Handbook have to say about the subject, and from reports by users of several good coil type mobile antennas around, not just Kales brand. Others can probably do what he does also, but Kale’s antennas are modular, very well built, and being very light in weight is a big factor.

Look, I also love the way my Starduster works, both for TX and RX. I won't claim it will out perform a good multi-element beam, but I have seen times when it was pretty darn close and it always compares exceptionally well with the best of the longer antenna in 11 meters. Kales base design noted here is along those same lines, so let’s give Kale a chance to explain his experiences with this one, OK?

In conclusion, if the above seems reasonable to your thinking then maybe you could check out chapter 16 page 16-4 in the 19th addition of ARRL on Mobiles entitled "Base loading and Center loading." This topic gives graphic depictions comparing the improved current distribution using a center loaded 1/4 wave radiator compared to a simple whip antenna. In Figures 6 & 7 you will also see the center loading with a suitable coil generates approximately 30% more of an increase in the total current distribution over the element length. This example also shows an increased current toward the top rather than it basically being down near the base, close to ground, as in a continuous fed or base loaded radiator. To repeat, this relates to an impressive increase in radiation resistance and I don’t think any body will deny that increased radiation resistance in a radiator relates to improved emissions of radiation, regardless of the length of the element.

The comments above are just my opinions. If you disagree with something I have said or suggested or have another idea, then let’s discuss it. I am open to a better understanding as well.

Marconi,
"Question: could a shorter coil type antenna overcome this by having better control over reactance?"
The physical shape of a coil does make a difference in it's efficiency. In general, a short, fat coil tends to be more efficient than a tall skinny (anorexic) one. The 'down side' of that shape is the internal losses of coils, which isn't going to change a great deal depending on the desired inductance. Part of that inefficiency is because reactances don't radiate, resistance does (no power developed or dissipated/radiated in a reactance). Wouldn't it be great if that were different? Antennas the size of a finger nail, Navy 'Lowfer' antennas NOT miles long? Oh well...
Something else to think about is that the resulting radiation patterns ARE determined by the length of the radiator. Shortened antennas can get 'close', but never quite reach the 'un-shortened' antennas radiation pattern. If that shortened antenna's radiation pattern is close, and if shortening the antenna serves a useful purpose, then while there is some loss of coverage, it works out to the general good. An extreme example would be a 160 meter mobile antenna. A 125 foot vertical just isn't too practical! So, shortening it to something that's at least sort of practical is a good idea. Other wise there just ain't gonna be many 160 meter mobiles around, right? Depends entirely on what a person considers "practical". The other end of that 'extreme' example would be a cell phone antenna the length/thickness of a sheet of glass (car window). Sure, it'll work, but not well unless that car is very, very tall.
Top loading is better than center loading is better than base loading, no argument there. But, quantify that 'better'. If it's better enough to make a huge difference, there wouldn't be many base loaded antennas around, or center loaded ones either, would there be? I sort of doubt it. So it's back to that 'practical' thingy again. When the cost exceeds the worth, why do it? Cuz you can? Okay, have at it!
SWR is one of the most misunderstood, almost worthless, measurements going. There was a time (yeah, old fart stuff) when nobody had an SWR meter, and nobody cared. Just as many people on the air, doing typically well. Of course, the transmitters were a bit different then too. As in not too 'picky' about impedance matching, didn't 'cut-back' if it wasn't almost perfect, that sort of thing. Sure there were losses, but it didn't make ~that~ much difference. Operating ability made more difference than a 1:1 SWR. (Would I want to go back to that? @#$$ NO! I'm too lazy and this 'newer' equipment costs too much - lol.)
One possible solution is instead of making all feed lines (coax) 50 ohms, configuring antennas so that they are as close to 50 ohms as possible, why not change the feedlines to whatever the input impedance of the antenna is? Need to change that to 50 ohms for the transmitter? Do it -at- the transmitter. Or, use a feed line that isn't affected by SWR the way coax is? I'll leave that alone, but had to say it. It's been around for a 100 years (literally!). Just something to think about.
- 'Doc

Just to add to Doc's comments about older transmitters not being particularly sensitive to SWR...

People invariably ask why this is -- why tube-type transmitters don't literally melt when connected to a horrible 3:1 load. "Don't you know you can run your transmitter through an antenna tuner??" they say.

I point out what the circuitry for a typical "tuner" looks like. Then I show them the pi-net output from a DX-100. They comment that it's just about identical. I say, "yep."

hmm. Wonder why you can't do that with a solidstate transmitter?
- 'Doc

(I know, I know, but it's a good question.) ;)

Master Chief said:
:| :| :| Its not Kale's antenna or design. Its just made up of Kale's mobile antennas.

MC, that was just a choice of words to describe what antenna I was talking about. I wasn't trying to ascribe any particular ownership or legal description. So, what is your point? Is this your Nerd affect for the day?

FL Native, I think Kale only used 4 of his antennas installed on that ground plane. Nobody can argue there is a difference in cost, but Kale is probably flush with cash selling all those mobile antennas, and I would guess he is an experimenter too. Kale could answer this best, but I think someone said his computer is out at the moment, so I will just put my two cents in.

Looks to me like you guys just have a problem with Kale trying out an idea he has. I also doubt very many of you have ever tried a base antenna with a 1/4 wavelength radiator, and for sure have never compared one to any other 11 meter vertical antenna.

Kale tells us that folks keep asking him about a base antenna and he says he is too busy with the mobile to consider it for now. If I was to take a wild guess, he probably feels like his mobile antenna out performs a regular whips, and maybe it might do the same if built into a 1/4 wave GP configuration. So, why not design and build a hub similar to a Starduster and mount some of his antennas on it instead of using regular 1/4 wave whips.

I don’t know about you guys, but it seems to me there are plenty of guys into the CB thing that are continually in the process of trying to improve their stations. Trying one new idea after another until they sense an improvement over what they already have.

This is my reason WHY, and that isn’t too hard to figure out is it?

Marconi said:
Looks to me like you guys just have a problem with Kale trying out an idea he has.
It's not Kale's idea. He has stated that a number of times. When are you going to get that fact straight?

It's not his idea, okay, I can live with that. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to try something. That's fun all by it's self. Everyone doesn't like, or has to like the same things, or doing the same ol'thing. That's good too. My 'mainest' problem is getting around my 'cheap' problem. Just ain't gonna go that expensive route if possible. Oh well...
- 'Doc

And here's the thing; nobody's asking you to!

The first time I saw the antenna, I said, "cool!" I wouldn't do it, but hey, why not someone else. If someone was up against height restrictions (the argument for the Astroplane), this would fill the bill!

At this time, its just fun with antennas and nothing more. For $300.00+, someone could buy an I-10K, the undisputed KING of base antennas.

BTW, there are a LOT of antennas I have played with, that I would never run in the real world! But its still fun to play and experiment.

Add to this, the 1/4 wave antenna has it's place! I'm installing an aviation band antenna on a hanger for the local CAP and the advantage of the 1/4 wave over the 5/8 wave is big!

Master Chief said:
And here's the thing; nobody's asking you to!

does this mean someone has to ask me for my opinion and you have to give me permission or else I am to keep my opinions to myself?

Marconi said:
For Librium and others adding to the thread about Kale’s base antenna.
Since you decided to include me in your post...
Your post is a lot of gibberish and full of just that your opinion, no where will you find any amateur saying a loaded antenna performs better than a full length non loaded antenna, also my many tests with coil antennas prove to me and arrive at the same results as many antenna gurus state they don't perform anywhere near a full length 1/4 wave. Id say that a coil is at least 30 % less efficient than a 1/4 wave counterpart. a coil antenna is not a 1/4 wave. A top hat does nothing but make the antenna shorter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.