• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy "gnf"

The guys who developed the Galaxy "FLAME THROWER" 959DX did some improvements to the GNF and it actually works very well for SSB in which it was intended for..

Russ,

im going to refrain from actually calling BS on this one, just in case you can prove me wrong, but im having a hard time believing that anyone, much less those guys is doing any work on that small, epoxy covered, SMT component board.

if you have any pics or other details about this, id sure like to see/ read about them.
LC

On a serious note!!! Out of all the radio's that I have had....And not the Super Wack up job that I did own which I don't own any more, but by the way, that radio was sent off to a very reputable tech some years ago who managed to undo the mess and restore it as it should have been from the get go, and still to this day the Flame Thrower is still one of my favorite radio's..

But I must tell the truth...it was a good radio as an original Flame Thrower, it did everything that it was meant to do...even one of the previous site admins of this site had a hands on experience with it and said that those guys sure did a fantastic job!!! The other half of the story is that the radio was sent off to DTB who really brought the radio to life...AM got even better and the radio on SSB is right up there with the 2950dx and even a President Lincoln that I once owned.. Its diffidently a keeper for now....

Reactions: Lil'Yeshua
The guys who developed the Galaxy "FLAME THROWER" 959DX did some improvements to the GNF and it actually works very well for SSB in which it was intended for..
I bought a galaxy 959 B flame thrower deluxe model> Nice work done by the guys out in california.I'm using mine as a base station in a 3rd story apartment window. The antenna is a pace back of set center loaded in design. I ran the ground sheild part of standard cb cable as a ground connection to a metal framed stand with glass center and it uses it as an artificial ground it's on carpet. The antenna must have a good ground/plane connection or you will get spikes on the meter and a jumpy rf gain movement left or right.With antenna ground it all goes to normal. They don't make these antennas anymore so good luck on finding one. The galaxy noise filter does help filter out solar flare hiss that is tearing up the radio bands now. I have found out that this filter helps on am sometimes as well. As far as the anl/nb/anl goes it cuts engine noise/ static The 3 tone L/M/H works good on am and ssb. My radio is near a large window and is tuned from Channel 15 to 40 The highest swr reading anywhere between there is 1.5 at the highest and flat out nothing from channel 25 through 40 .Built in swr meter is very accurate and have had very good signal and audio reports local and dx. Nice job galaxy Thumbs up here.

Reactions: Slowmover
Russ,

im going to refrain from actually calling BS on this one, just in case you can prove me wrong, but im having a hard time believing that anyone, much less those guys is doing any work on that small, epoxy covered, SMT component board.

if you have any pics or other details about this, id sure like to see/ read about them.
LC

I have to agree with you, not throwing gas on a fire though. The flame thrower that I saw, that I had here, was pretty far from throwing flames. Now if clear hot glue on every single connector makes one throw flames, I'll be right back, gotta go to Walmart.

I'll also agree about the GNF, just seems to flatten everything and doesn't really do much along the lines of "noise filtering".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.