• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help, I am bleeding my TV

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
Any one know what filters or such I need to fix a bleedover problem? Here is my situation, I had my Maco 5/8 mounted on a wash post for three years with no bleed over except for every once in a while depending how strong my TV reception was. I have a set of rabbit ears for TV reception. This is using a 2970dx and no bleed what so ever when using my IC-7000 on 10 meters or vhf/ uhf and also my vhf HT.

Ok, I finaly get my 36ft tower up with the 5/8 on top, ground the system use Davis bury flex low loss coax and now I get I bleed the TV so bad I get yelled at from my wife for messing the TV up when she is whatching it. this is with my HT, IC-7000 and 2970dx.

Is this strange or what. My HT, this is crazy. It is on low power, 500mah vhf and never did this befor.

How could putting my antenna up cause all this?? anyway, what filters and where do I put them?

Thanks,
AP

How is a low pass filter or a high pass filter going to help interference from a VHF HT? :confused::confused::confused:

It's probably coming in on the AC power lines. I used to have one TV that would pick up RFI from my VHF and I have DirecTV. I probably usually use only 25 watts on VHF. The AC wiring in the house was picking it up. Try getting a RF attenuating power strip / surge protector and plug your TV into that. Most computer stores, even Radio Shack have them. It won't say "RF Attenuating" in big letters on the box and the sales guy will look at you like you just spoke Farci to him if you ask. Look on the back of the box and find the specs. The ones I got said something like "-40db RF".

im confused :confused:
is it happening with both radios now ?
if so , id be looking at your installation , bad connector on coax,
something shorted on the antenna ? etc,

looking up a maco 5/8 i see its rated for 26-33mhz
if your trying to run this on vhf frequencies you will most certainly
have a very high swr and could be radiating back into the tv
which by the way , these days arent very well designed and have poor
front end circuitry and are very prone to front end overload

if its only happening with one radio , then id be looking at that radio ;)

you didnt mention what kind of standing wave you have
did you check it after you finished the upgrade ?????
what modes are you running ? ssb, fm ?
is this happening in all modes ?

just some thoughts im having, try different modes
what swr does it exhibit across its usable bandwidth ?
this info will help to diagnose the problem

73 de rich

Any one know what filters or such I need to fix a bleedover problem? Here is my situation, I had my Maco 5/8 mounted on a wash post for three years with no bleed over except for every once in a while depending how strong my TV reception was. I have a set of rabbit ears for TV reception. This is using a 2970dx and no bleed what so ever when using my IC-7000 on 10 meters or vhf/ uhf and also my vhf HT.

Ok, I finaly get my 36ft tower up with the 5/8 on top, ground the system use Davis bury flex low loss coax and now I get I bleed the TV so bad I get yelled at from my wife for messing the TV up when she is whatching it. this is with my HT, IC-7000 and 2970dx.

Is this strange or what. My HT, this is crazy. It is on low power, 500mah vhf and never did this befor.

How could putting my antenna up cause all this?? anyway, what filters and where do I put them?

Thanks,
AP

Tell your wife to deal with it until February 2009, it should go away then (y)

im confused :confused:
is it happening with both radios now ?
if so , id be looking at your installation , bad connector on coax,
something shorted on the antenna ? etc,

looking up a maco 5/8 i see its rated for 26-33mhz
if your trying to run this on vhf frequencies you will most certainly
have a very high swr and could be radiating back into the tv
which by the way , these days arent very well designed and have poor
front end circuitry and are very prone to front end overload

if its only happening with one radio , then id be looking at that radio ;)

you didnt mention what kind of standing wave you have
did you check it after you finished the upgrade ?????
what modes are you running ? ssb, fm ?
is this happening in all modes ?

just some thoughts im having, try different modes
what swr does it exhibit across its usable bandwidth ?
this info will help to diagnose the problem

73 de rich

I agree, and I am confused now that I read it again.

Describe more detail of your install for each radio

Ok,here is the info on my setup.

1. I am using the maco on 10 meters and it is tuned at 1.2 or less accross the 10m band.

2. It affects the tv on all modes, AM,SSB.

3. I is all radios now but befor it was only my 2970dx.

4. I am using mt ht with alone, no external antenna just the screw on ant.

5. the ht does this when sitting in the radio room which is behind the living room with the tv.

6. I found out last night that the ht only affects the tv when I am in the radio room but when I walk around the house and even stand beside the tv it does not affect it (SRANGE) at all.

the coax was routed down through the floor and then opposite direction of the living room out the outside wall to the antenna on the wash post. Now it still goes through the floor at the same spot but goes under the living room to the opposite outter wall and about 16ft under ground to tower and then 36 ft to maco.

I did ground the antenna which was not grounded befor. I used a 8ft ground rod beside the concrete base and ran a # 6 or maybe a #4 copper wire from the base of the maco to the rod.

could this be the problem?

AP

Sounds like front-end over-load as said before, since it appears the HT only does it when near the TV.
Also as stated before, TVs are not exactly the best designed thingys in the world. The certainly work, but lowering the cost of manufacturing them typically means less than adequate shielding/by-passing sort of 'normal'. That also applies to radios to some extent.
One thing to correct (if you are as 'normal' as me) is to clean up any 'piles' of excess wiring/cabling behind the TV and around the radios. Separating the wiring/cabling, radio's and TV's, is also not a bad idea (distance between the two is the cheapest 'cure', sort of). Any chance of moving the radio stuff (or the TV) to the 'back-40'? A 5 gallon bucket of torroids comes in handy, or maybe winding a few chokes, TV and radios sides? You don't have to use wrenches, but making sure all connections are tight helps a lot. (Skimpily clad servants of the right gender and age for the one watching the TV also works! Doesn't clear up the TVI but they'll probably will never notice... Yeah, right!) As long as it isn't 'destructive', trying almost anything probably won't make things worst, and just might 'cure' it. If it does make things worst, that's a 'clue' in it's self, pay attention! And probably the last thing anyone ever tries is to complain to the ones who made the TV (mot sold it, but made it). Might be surprised at the response.
A lot of this is a sort of long 'stretch', but it really isn't the simplest thing in the world to 'fix', too many possible causes. Good luck!
- 'Doc

(If you haven't figured it out, that 'servant' thingy is one of those 'stretches'. Proceed at your own risk.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.