• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help, I am bleeding my TV

Ok,here is the info on my setup.

1. I am using the maco on 10 meters and it is tuned at 1.2 or less accross the 10m band.

2. It affects the tv on all modes, AM,SSB.

3. I is all radios now but befor it was only my 2970dx.

4. I am using mt ht with alone, no external antenna just the screw on ant.

5. the ht does this when sitting in the radio room which is behind the living room with the tv.

6. I found out last night that the ht only affects the tv when I am in the radio room but when I walk around the house and even stand beside the tv it does not affect it (SRANGE) at all.

ok, so now your getting into the tv regardless of what radio ?
and all of these are in the shack ?

so the only time your getting into the tv is from the radio room ?

i think the tv may be on the same electrical circuit as your radios
you may have a bad ground or switched hot-neutral

i'm beginning to think , its a mains power issue

try this - get an extension cord that will reach from the tv to another
completely separate electrical circuit ,
make certain this circuit is not the same one that the tv was on before
or the one that supplies your shack ,
plug the tv into it , and see what happens ???????

its odd that you only had this problem before with only one radio
but you had the problem before !
nows it worse ,

try the extension cord , see if it helps or makes no difference .

you may have to try several different things to source the issue
but it does appear the antenna should be fine !

get back to us !!!!

73 de rich

But why would the ht affect the tv when it is not pluged in any where? I can stand 12 inches away and not affect the tv but sit in my room 3ft from the tv with a wall between and it does it.

what is a switched hot-neutral ?

How do I know if I got a bad ground?

Thanks,
AP

So I need to plug the extension cord from tv to an outlet on a different circuit, to do this
I would go to my circuit breaker box and see which outlets are on which breaker. I do know that the bedrooms,kitchen,livingroom are separate circuits but I will check to be sure. My shack is a bedroom converted over to my shack. The tv is on the living room circuit.

I will check all this out later this evening and post what is going on tomorrow.

Thanks,
AP

I have a 100 ft extension cord, I will run it from my garage outlet which is detached from my house and is powered from my main electric box of the house and travels under ground to the main box in the garage. it has its own ground rod too.

Will this outlet be good to use?

AP

Last edited:
So I need to plug the extension cord from tv to an outlet on a different circuit, to do this
I would go to my circuit breaker box and see which outlets are on which breaker. I do know that the bedrooms,kitchen,livingroom are separate circuits but I will check to be sure. My shack is a bedroom converted over to my shack. The tv is on the living room circuit.

I will check all this out later this evening and post what is going on tomorrow.

Thanks,
AP

thats it , ill check back later

...the more I hear about it, the more I think it may be AC line connected. The thing with the HT makes me wonder though.
- 'Doc

Could it be interference from the coax running under the tv radiating signal.

And my theory on the HT only making TVI when in the shack is because the back of the TV is opposite that wall, so the tuner is right there through the wall from the HT.

And the TV's coax is aiding as an antenna in both cases.

Out of curiosity what is the location of the TV coax in relation to your Radio's coax?

And are you using good quality coax on both the TV and your Radios?

The coax is rf davis low loss 100% shielded and I understand it is very good cable.

the tv is what ever came with the rabbit ears from rad shack.

the radio coax is about 8 - 10 inches from the tv cable, if you picture the tv in the living room against the wall and the radios in the room behind the living room against the same wall so there is a 2x4 wall separating it + drywall.

AP

It can't be the coax if just the HT by itself also causes it. BTW, this is off topic slightly but the comment earlier about standing waves causing RFI isn't correct. High SWR does not cause RFI.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens when he plugs into a different circuit.

I'm starting to wonder about the rabbit ears ,
could be a harmonic issue, with 10mtrs
cables too long to the tv , poor connections
but again the issue with rfi on a vhf ht on a rubber duck
does really start to point to FEO
and i wonder ???????

but let's see what happens when the tube is on a different
circuit

were gonna nail this one !!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio