• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how to-ham

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
been concidering looking into getting into ham..figure if im going to run power i might as well do it where it can be done legal..how do i start the ball rolling ? i dont know where or how to begin..

Splash1,
You can sure ask hard questions! 'Hard' because is really just depends on what you think you want to do. There are so many different aspects to ham radio that it's almost impossible to give a good account of all of them. The very most basic idea is 'communications', talking to other people, sometimes seriously, sometimes not. Then it starts getting complicated by how you do that communicating. As in almost any mode you can think of from CW to voice, RTTY, TV, digital stuff, satellites, and on and on like you might not believe. Running power is probably one of the least important things of the whole mess.
That certainly doesn't tell you much but it's a sort of 'start'. Probably the first place to start finding out about this stuff is the ARRL web site, where you can find licensing information. If you happen to have one close to where you live, finding a ham club is a very good way to see what's happening near you. Expect to experience some reluctance on the club members part till they find out just what you are wanting to do. Not really a 'ham' thing, but typical for any club/organization dealing with anything.
Getting a license is necessary, but probably the 'easiest' part of figuring out what this stuff is 'all about', possibilities, attitudes, etc. Keeping an open mind is a very good idea.
Do all the reading about this stuff that you can. I'll bet there will be certain aspects that will really 'grab' you, and some that will leave you 'cold', and some that you ain't gonna believe anyway! It ain't gonna be quick, just too much 'stuff' to find out about (been doing this stuff for over 35 years and still ain't scratched much beyond the surface, sort of).
Try it! You'll like it. Don't like it? Try something else.
- 'Doc

Hope you like 'playing' with numbers, 'math' is a part of it. So are rules. Big deal, got them rules everywhere.

Beetle n W5lz..thanks for the replies..from the site beetle gave me i guess the thing to do is order the book on tech for beginners..should i just get the book or the book and cd combo ? as far as what i want to do is to talk on ham bands where im guessing its a little more civilized..im guessing also you have to take the beginers test first befor you can study and take the general ? i figured on studing all winter,would that generaly be enough time for the beginers test ? right now im just trying to get my foot in the door an look around..in school i was pretty much a C/B student with an A here n there.do you think this stuff would be over my head ?

Last edited:
Buy the book "Now You're Talking" , and immediately start taking the practice tests on QRZ or Eham. You could be ready to take the real test sooner than you think. It doesn't take very long.

Beetle n W5lz..thanks for the replies..from the site beetle gave me i guess the thing to do is order the book on tech for beginners..should i just get the book or the book and cd combo ? as far as what i want to do is to talk on ham bands where im guessing its a little more civilized..im guessing also you have to take the beginers test first befor you can study and take the general ? i figured on studing all winter,would that generaly be enough time for the beginers test ? right now im just trying to get my foot in the door an look around..in school i was pretty much a C/B student with an A here n there.do you think this stuff would be over my head ?

Splash1

If you are really eager you can study and take the test for each of the "elements" on the same day if you want.
Take the Tech test pass it and then take the General pass it and if so inclined and if you are a real go getter take the Extra and be done with any more upgrades. It has been done, I remember reading the stats on it somewhere. Granted the Extra Class is more difficult but it can be done in one day of testing. Realistically, most people start out at Tech and then move on up to General at a later date. The General class will give you the HF [FONT=&quot]privileges[/FONT] that you are probably most interested in. There are a lot of Amateur ops that have stayed at General class for years and don't feel inclined to upgrade and are perfectly happy with those [FONT=&quot]privileges.

As mentioned in another post. Get the book(s) read and understand them. If you need more explanation ask questions here or other forums to get help. Reading the material is very important because when taking a test you may run into a question that you are unsure of the correct answer, but having read the material you will be able to make a better stab at an answer than just a swing in the dark. Take the practice tests that are available online. QRZ.com and eham.com are good ones. I like the format at QRZ because it gives you instant feedback on each question you answer. Eham grades the test after you are done. Once you have read the material(s) and start taking the tests look at your scores on them. Once you are averaging in the mid 80's to low 90's on each test you should be ready for that individual test and pass it with confidence.

I hope this helps and wish you luck. Once you are working the Amateur bands you will wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

Wayne C.
WV4L
[/FONT]

Eduk8tr..thanks..i,ll be sure and use the qrz and or eham to gage how im doin..this would be a good project to pass the winter evenings now if i can remember my cypherin n goes inta,s from high school i might have a chance..lol..

The study-guides do work. If you'd rather do that studying thing on the computer then the CDs might be worth the money, but get the book(s) anyway.
You're right, you have to do progressive tests for the progressive classes of licenses. Nothing at all says you can't do them all at the same testing session. That's not exactly true, just depends on the VEs doing the testing and how busy they are. Most are certainly willing to let you go as far as you want to try.
The practice tests on the internet are also certainly worthwhile too, they give you a way to tell when you're ready for the 'paper' test. Testing sessions are sort of 'laid-back', nothing like it used to be, not exactly a walk in the park, but no biggy. Do it! Do it!
- 'Doc

we,ll give,er a go doc..been listning to a few guys that got their ticket talking lsb on 38 about the low power contests on 2 meter and other things..sounds very interesting..i have a friend of my wifes whos husband been a ham for some years and maybe he can give me some advice also..

I went through the tech question pool with my wife once, explaining the what and why of each one. She took the online question pool test about four more times and passed her tech about two weekends later.

She had no prior electronics, radio or engineering background whatsoever.

The entry level test is a piece of cake.

Good luck, you'll have fun.

been concidering looking into getting into ham..figure if im going to run power i might as well do it where it can be done legal....

To add a little bit to my earlier reply...don't think of amateur radio (or ham radio) as simply a place to "run power" legally. You'll find that there's a lot more to it than that.

I'm not sure if "Now You're Talking" is still in print. If it is, it's a good place to start, but any of the League publications on starting out in ham radio will be very helpful. You'll want to get the ARRL Manual and the Antenna Book before long, too. If you visit hamfests and swap meets, or even used book stores, you might find copies of the Manual from the 50s and 60s. These are more useful as far as teaching circuitry and basic electricity/electronics than the newer Manuals. The theory, of course, remains the same. Earlier Manuals, however, presented the material a lot better than todays.

The Gordon West books are also good. There is one for each license class. They go over each question and explain the priciples behind them.

MFJ has a good study book for about 12$ +/- that really helped me to get my general class,was an easy test after going over the book for a few weeks.

If you are wanting to work DX general class will give you a good chunk of all the hf bands,

just a thought

and best of luck on your test!

starting ham.

i,ll try ''the arrl ham radio license manual'' first .i,ll order it in the morning with thier 800 number.its listed as 24.95 and it should get my feet wet anyway..thanks for the advice..beetle,im not only interested in running power though im not against it.the low power aspect of it sounds like alot of fun also..

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how little "power" matters on the amateur bands if only because of the lack of chaos compared to the disorganized havoc on CB. Yes, there are what are called "pileups" where rare stations are operating and stations "compete" to get an acknowledgement from him. A 100 watt station is usually adequate for most work on most all bands. (y)

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.