• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to perform the 2sc2999 and Schottky diode swap

BootyMon: Links didn't work.
But I found the site anyway.

Splitting hairs here. The 2SC2999's are not the same as the 2SC2999e!
Few sites have them; I think B&D does.
But they do cost much more!

BootyMon; I sent you the 'e' model of that part!
The specs on it are cleaner. I'm sure that some will claim that they aren't any better. But the specs say otherwise. Maybe not a lot of difference - but I wanted the best part available...

Last edited:
Splitting hairs here. The 2SC2999's are not the same as the 2SC2999e!
Few sight have them; I think B&D does.
I'm not sure if they cost more now!
I well could be wrong.

the difference is barely measurable, Is no way you will tell the difference Seat-Of-The-Pants/By Ear....

preacher man sent me a pdf with the pics . i found them on my grant xl and took a pic with the camera and marked them in the pic . thanks again for your kindness Rob ;)

grantxlboard.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you what Carl , you ain't kidding when it comes to your local electronic stores and charging 2 dollars a piece for the diodes and 5 bucks for the transistor. There should be a law about those people charging 20 or more times the cost they paid for them.

I mean I understand for somebody just looking to get a project done but for somebody that kows the differance , those people make me sick. Talk about a last resort why don't you. Just for grinnies I priced those down at my local Electrictronics store yesterday , 8 for the diodes and 5 for the transistor ..would have been just under 15 bucks out the door. Rip offs !!
Dx Receive Kit 2sc2999 Cobra 148,Galaxy,RCI,Connex - eBay (item 230443782027 end time Mar-08-10 00:38:35 PST)

DON'T WORK

I just did this receive upgrade to my texas ranger tr696f ssb and my galaxy DX959 and I actually think it made the receive worse, and I got the good part too, NOT FROM EBAY. I also did a re alignment with still no better.

sad

I have a OLD sears road talker 40 ssb slantface and it receives up to 4 s units that the other 2 don't even pick up.

I just did this receive upgrade to my texas ranger tr696f ssb and my galaxy DX959 and I actually think it made the receive worse, and I got the good part too, NOT FROM EBAY. I also did a re alignment with still no better.

sad

I have a OLD sears road talker 40 ssb slantface and it receives up to 4 s units that the other 2 don't even pick up.

Done a BUNCH of these mods to my radios and friends' radios. Never had problem once. All worked better than before; some better than others. Depends on the model of radio; but all showed an improvement. Never needed to re-align the receiver either - after replacing these parts.

Since you had bad results with TWO radios; you must have got the wrong transistors. The correct transistor has much cleaner amplification specifications. IF it isn't amping that circuit cleaner; then you got the wrong transistor - or phonies . . .

skybolt,

let me get this straight. you do a mod that everyone and their dog has done and gotten positive results from every time, for years now, and when it doesnt work, you blame the mod itself instead of all of the other possibilities?

that just doesnt make sense.

the mod works, you either got bad parts, did it wrong, or dont know what you are listening for.
sorry if that sounds harsh, but you came in here claiming in bold text that the mod doesnt work and people reading this thread need to know not to just take your word for it.
LC

Reactions: Shaggy
I don't know what brand the 1n6263 diodes were but the transistor was a Sanyo 2sc2999, and if it wasn't done right the radio wouldn't even work??? Right? now I contacted the place where I bought the radio, and here is a copy ofthe email, Notice his last line there.

It may just be the way the meter reads. A radio meter can be adjusted to show anything you want. Every radios meter will show something different. My first guess is that that the 696f has a tighter meter. We do not offer any receive upgrades. The 696F's come with the receive already tuned about as good as it will get from the factory. Beware, if you look for upgrades people will sell them to you whether they help or not.

I am not familiar with the upgrade you mentioned.

If you want a second opinion call Don's Cb in PA. They do repair warranty "present or past" for Ranger, Galaxy, Connex and General radios. They do good honest work. We farm some of our repair work out to them. 814-898 Thanks,

Wes

GI Joe's Radio Electronics
451 Paint Lick Rd
Berea, KY 40403

(Located at I-75 Exit 76 KY)
(859) 402-0440 phone
(859) 402-0460 Fax
GI JOE'S: CB RADIO - CB RADIO ANTENNA - SCANNER - CELLULAR

Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 12:55 PM
To: GI Joes Radio Electronics
Subject: Texas Ranger TR696F ssb base

Hi, I got this radio, and it don't receive as good as my old sears road talker 40 slant face ssb base mobile.. the sears gets 3-4 s units before the ranger even starts to receive. is there a way to get this radio to receive as good I had the 2sc2999 transistor upgrade with the diodes also.. Seems like it got worse? the radio is about 5 years old, and it has been this way since day 1.

Last edited:
I have to go with Robb on this. I too have done this mod on several different radios and always have had noticable results. If you are absolutely sure that all the components were installed correctly, then it might be possible that something else is going on with the receiver. It is also not a good comparison to use the S-meter from a different radio to campare signals. Your Sears Roadtalker could be adjusted completely differently from the factory than say your DX-959. Also, your radio should not require a re-alignment since you are not replacing or upgrading any components that would effect the frequency.

When I did my DX-949 (which was the first radio I performed the mod on), I wrote down the S-meter readings of operators that regularly talked to that were at some distance from me. I also took note of the noise level as well as the effect that the NB had on the noise level and S-meter reading of the noise floor. After the mod, I saw a 1/2 to 1 S-unit increase in signal and a drop of about 1/2 to 1 S-unit in noise. The NB was in part responsible for that noise drop. I also had the opportunity to compare my modded DX-949 to my friends stock DX-2547 (same circuit board) side by side through a coax switch and there is a definite benefit to performing the mod. Most noticeable is that there is considerably less noise on the received signals.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.